4K Free Guy - English Forced Only Subtitle Not Working

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
JulesKeeper

4K Free Guy - English Forced Only Subtitle Not Working

Post by JulesKeeper »

I ripped the 4K/UHD version of "Free Guy" and selected "English Forced Only Subtitle" and it is not being displayed while playing. This is the first time that I've encountered this with newer movies. Any ideas on how to resolve this. TIA

UPDATE: Not my preference, but I have a workaround for now. I've downloaded and using the Subtitle File from "https://subscene.com/". I hope MakeMKV has a solution so I can avoid this extra step and maintenance.
Woodstock

Re: 4K Free Guy - English Forced Only Subtitle Not Working

Post by Woodstock »

The "forced only" checkbox tells MakeMKV to read the parent track, and copy any subtitles that are flagged as "forced" to a separate track.

The problem is, there are damn few movies out there that use the "forced" flag. You will usually see in your log a line that says something like, "Forced subtitle track XX was empty and was removed from the file".

If you did not select the parent track(s), you will get NO subtitles in the file.

The usual way to author disks (DVD, BD, UHD) is to have a separate track for the subtitles that would normally be flagged as "forced". The most consistent way I have found to determine which track has these "forced" subtitles is to rip ALL subtitle tracks, and play the file with VLC to find which one I want. You can then use mkvtoolnix to remove the others without re-ripping.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging