Dawn of The Planet of The Apes - no subtitles or translation

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Smiggy

Dawn of The Planet of The Apes - no subtitles or translation

Post by Smiggy »

Hello.,

Okay, so I converted from the original (ISO) disc to an mkv file, but when I play it on my friend's Sony UBP-x800, the translation of the Ape's sign language doesn't appear? We enabled subtitles on the TV and the player, but the subtitles wouldn't work even for audible speech.

When I played it on PowerDVD, I could enable the subtitles (even though I shouldn't have to by default).

Did I do something when converting the file to mkv?
Woodstock

Re: Dawn of The Planet of The Apes - no subtitles or translation

Post by Woodstock »

My copy of Dawn (from Bluray) has multiple English subtitle tracks. Only one of them has the sign language translation, but it also has "all dialog". One of them is the text of the audio commentary.

You have to make sure the track you want is the primary subtitle track when dealing with TVs and DVD/BD players, because they're not nearly as smart as you think.

My advice is to always extract ALL subtitle and audio tracks for the languages you want, then you can tag them as default/forced in the MKV file after you find out which ones are right. VLC and the header editor from mkvtoolnix help a lot.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Smiggy

Post by Smiggy »

Hello,

Thank you for your response. This is what I see in the mkv app. No such option for a subtitle track?
Attachments
3.png
3.png (139.81 KiB) Viewed 4629 times
2.png
2.png (140.66 KiB) Viewed 4629 times
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

What do you see when you expand the titles, by clicking on the little triangle next to them?

Some hints: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16405
Smiggy

Post by Smiggy »

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

I see this with English subtitles already pre-selected it doesn't show when played on a player.

I wonder why I see two tracks? Each is 44.2GB yet the ISO is only 47.1GB.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (169.96 KiB) Viewed 4624 times
Smiggy

Post by Smiggy »

Woodstock wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:36 pm
What do you see when you expand the titles, by clicking on the little triangle next to them?

Some hints: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16405
Woodstock, for your Blu-ray version, does subtitles need to be enabled to watch the movie with the sign-language translation?

I thought if it isn't enabled, the translation still shows by default except audible speech.

I have to enable subtitles for both to appear on PowerDVD, but when I play it on the player, no translation or subtitles, even we enable English subtitles under TV/Player settings.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I will have to dig out the original BDs (not happening for a while, big mess), but there is nothing burned in on the handbrake-processed files on my server. I dumped the raw files a few years ago.
Smiggy

Post by Smiggy »

Woodstock wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:38 pm
I will have to dig out the original BDs (not happening for a while, big mess), but there is nothing burned in on the handbrake-processed files on my server. I dumped the raw files a few years ago.
No problem. Thank you, I appreciate it.

Is there anything you can make out from my pictures above after expanding the titles, as to why two movies are showing? The size of the original ISO is 47.1GB.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

My guess would be that there are minor edits between the two. But I don't remember if the PotA movies were released by Disney or some other studio; Disney will playlists where one has English titles/credits, another will have Spanish, and maybe one will be French (depends on market). Their segment maps will differ by a couple of chapters.

Sometimes there is a "director's cut", with deleted scenes added in, but the majority of the movie is the same.