Drive speed control unrestricted RIP failures fix

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
uhdlover

Drive speed control unrestricted RIP failures fix

Post by uhdlover »

Wanted to post this in case it helps others who encounter the same issue, that being UHD disks failing to RIP when unrestricted speed has been enabled on compatible drives.

In my case I it was a new disk, have processed many many disks but this one refused to RIP even with careful cleaning.

This is an example of the error I was getting:

Code: Select all

Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID FIELD IN CDB' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00087.m2ts' at offset '454969344'
Error 'OS error - The specified request is not a valid operation for the target device' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '454969344'
Error 'OS error - The specified request is not a valid operation for the target device' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '454969344'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID FIELD IN CDB' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00087.m2ts' at offset '454969344'
Failed to save title 0 to file *****.mkv
I like many had enabled unrestricted drive speed to get faster RIPs as detailed here.

I noticed this disk was a triple layer disk, which I can't say I had noticed before but then I wasn't looking for it, anyway it got me thinking if this might be relevant?

I decided to see if disabling unrestricted speed for triple layer disks would help, and it did and I successfully ripped the disk first time after 5 previously failed attempts with unrestricted speed enabled.

This is the setting I used:

Code: Select all

0=99;U3=-
I seemed to always fail around, what I assume are layer changes, when the MakeMKV reports "SAFE" speed and then just after "SAFE" turned off it would fail. I wonder if this was just trying to go too quickly around layer changes, which could be improved in a future MakeMKV version?

Hope this helps others!
zilog23

Re: Drive speed control unrestricted RIP failures fix

Post by zilog23 »

This only happens in the latest version 1.16.4. I uninstalled 1.16.4 and tried version 1.16.3 and all is good.I was getting same errors as you.

Zilog23