Problem with two UHD discs (Black Panther/Infinity War)

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
kirdneh

Problem with two UHD discs (Black Panther/Infinity War)

Post by kirdneh »

Hi everyone,

I am using ASUS BW-16D1HT, UHD Friendly Internal 5.25 for my UHD discs.
Usually without any problems, sometimes with disc cleaning.

Recently I had some problems with two specific discs:
- Black Panther 4K
- Infinity War 4K

Cleaned both discs several times and always around 50% during the rip the speed goes down and suddenly does not continue anymore.
I tried the following things:
- replaced the discs with new ones
- cleaned the replacement discs
- tried other movies (--> actually that was successful but did obviously not help in terms of getting the movies ripped)
- downgraded from the latest makemkv version to 1.14.7 linux
- tried latest makemkv version on windows

It is really frustrating. Any further ideas?
Reading in the form I found some people having a second (different model) drive which sometimes reads discs while the other does not.

I have ordered a BU40N drive which will arrive next week, but I am really about to give up.
Any ideas or thoughts on this are valuable to me.... Thanks a lot!
DeadPixel

Re: Problem with two UHD discs (Black Panther/Infinity War)

Post by DeadPixel »

I've never seen two separate discs fail at the same place. I have two of the drives you have and I have seen discs read in one and not the other and also seen discs just not read at all, but fixed with a replacement disc. Some would also only read after cleaning multiple times.

If it helps in the slightest I have backed up both those films using the same model of drive but it would be interesting to hear if the new drive reads them ok.

I'm assuming there is no chance the store you got the discs from just "replaced" them with the same disc after testing in a regular player?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I don't have either of those discs handy to check… but I'd guess those are 2 layer discs. The first screen of MakeMKV (after it reads the disc but before you 'open' the disc) will tell you how many layers the disc is.

Anyway, if you're having trouble at around the half way point, it could be failing during the layer transition, where the laser has to refocus and start tracking the other way. Layer transitions can be hard for drives. This is partly why speed control purposely slows down the read rate during the transition. viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22689
recordplay

Post by recordplay »

I thought it was just me. I have the same drive and I can’t get infinity war or endgame to backup to save my life. I’ve replaced infinity war twice and I still can’t get it pass the halfway layer mark. Now Black Panther I’ve had no problems with. I don’t understand the inconsistency.
kirdneh

Post by kirdneh »

So today my new drive arrived.

LG BU40N had the fastest delivery time and I have flashed it as recommended to BU40N 1.03MK.

After that I tried ripping Black Panther Disc (without additional cleaning) and it was successful without any problems.
Same for Initinity War, no additional cleaning, just put it in the drive and that's it.

I tried again with the old drive and the discs won't rip, while still other UHD discs (e.g. Captain Marvel 4K or Endgame 4K) and
other blurays are ripping fine.

Edits:
- no the discs were not replaced with the "same" discs, over the weekend I had two discs of each movie here, now I am returning one disc per movie
- I can also confirm that those movies were using 2-layer blurays but I am pretty sure that also endgame uses them