F9: The Fast Saga (2021)

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
jayper

Re: F9: The Fast Saga (2021)

Post by jayper »

SamuriHL wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:28 pm
Lovely. I plan on re-watching it this weekend so I guess I'll have to get DoVi working in Kodi again. Not sure why it stopped working. Fantastic. sigh
Yeah, I gave up on DoVi and MKVs altogether. Too much of a hassle for me, as I only have the Shield and I can't un-see the red-push. If I want to experience DoVi, I just go with the disc and my x700. My TV is also not the best Vision display, so I am OK sticking with HDR10 for now.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I didn't want to mess around tonight and just wanted to sit and have a nice quiet movie night with no issues after a VERY long and draining week at work so I threw the disc in the UB820 and called it good. I'll deal with DoVi another day.
ApexAftermath

Post by ApexAftermath »

The whole issue is because this disc has branching cuts. If you are watching the director's cut every time there is a branching scene audio will drop out and then you will lose sync. Make MKV is not handling this correctly somehow.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Yeah. There are ways to fix it but it's complicated and requires multiple tools and a lot of manual work. I will probably do it at some point to get a working backup but it's not a fun process.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

RedSwirl

Post by RedSwirl »

This is the first movie I've encountered that isn't just one file. Is there at least a list of the proper order of the m2ts files?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

RedSwirl wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:57 am
This is the first movie I've encountered that isn't just one file. Is there at least a list of the proper order of the m2ts files?
The ordered list of .m2ts files is called a segment map. For example:
segmentmap.jpg
segmentmap.jpg (20.22 KiB) Viewed 6086 times
If you open the movie in MakeMKV and highlight a title, in the info box on the right you'll see some details about the highlighted thing. The numbers in the segment map correspond to the similarly named .m2ts files in the BDMV/STREAM folder of a decrypted MakeMKV backup.

More broadly speaking, the 'titles' on a blu-ray or UHD, contained in .mpls files, can be thought of as playlists of segments. This seamless branching is how a single disc can contain both a theatrical release and a director's cut of a movie on a single disc without having to hold two complete copies. It just has to hold a collection of segments where a subset are the theatrical release and a different subset are the director's cut. This is also how, for example, on Pixar movies (in North America) there can be three versions of the film each with different opening title & closing credits languages.

Seeing this data probably requires having Expert Mode enabled on the General tab of MakeMKV's preferences.
RedSwirl

Post by RedSwirl »

dcoke22 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:47 pm
RedSwirl wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:57 am
The ordered list of .m2ts files is called a segment map. For example:
segmentmap.jpg

If you open the movie in MakeMKV and highlight a title, in the info box on the right you'll see some details about the highlighted thing. The numbers in the segment map correspond to the similarly named .m2ts files in the BDMV/STREAM folder of a decrypted MakeMKV backup.

More broadly speaking, the 'titles' on a blu-ray or UHD, contained in .mpls files, can be thought of as playlists of segments. This seamless branching is how a single disc can contain both a theatrical release and a director's cut of a movie on a single disc without having to hold two complete copies. It just has to hold a collection of segments where a subset are the theatrical release and a different subset are the director's cut. This is also how, for example, on Pixar movies (in North America) there can be three versions of the film each with different opening title & closing credits languages.

Seeing this data probably requires having Expert Mode enabled on the General tab of MakeMKV's preferences.
Thanks! With that info at the very least I can set the raw segments into a playlist in VLC.