Dolby Vision, Where are we up to????

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
djanvi2020

Dolby Vision, Where are we up to????

Post by djanvi2020 »

Ok,

i have been away from this for a few months and i'm a little confused as to what's been happening with preserving
Dolby Vision to and watch it on either an Apple TV or an LG TV with MakeMKV or with other apps,

So can someone please explain step by step how do we rip a UHD with DV and how do we preserve it either with MKV or M2TS and what has worked cause
I cannot go through a feed just to find it all please?????

If we can have it on a webpage explaining it or on a Seperate Topic that can be updated it would be great.

P.S I am on a Mac and i do also have it Boot Camped with Win 10 as well so either way it would work for me!!!
fenton

Re: Dolby Vision, Where are we up to????

Post by fenton »

I am just going to rip the iso using dvd fan and then play it using a nvidia shield tv because it supports both Dolby video and Dolby atmos. There is a read around here where people claim to have ripped it but I am just going to throw the iso on a 256gb sd card and watch them on the shield tv
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

fenton wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:50 am
I am just going to rip the iso using dvd fan and then play it using a nvidia shield tv because it supports both Dolby video and Dolby atmos. There is a read around here where people claim to have ripped it but I am just going to throw the iso on a 256gb sd card and watch them on the shield tv
i mean whats the point of spreading info you dont fully understand yes the shield supports Dolby vision but not dual layer and thats what's on UHD discs your just going to get standard HDR 10 and thats not bad but its not "Dolby vision"
and remuxing to mp4 does not have perfect results. i personally have just stuck with HDR 10 as it should be correct.
but if it were as easy as you seem to make it there would not be a 350+ page thing on it
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
fenton

Post by fenton »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:10 am
fenton wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:50 am
i mean whats the point of spreading info you dont fully understand yes the shield supports Dolby vision but not dual layer and thats what's on UHD discs your just going to get standard HDR 10 and thats not bad but its not "Dolby vision"
and remuxing to mp4 does not have perfect results. i personally have just stuck with HDR 10 as it should be correct.
but if it were as easy as you seem to make it there would not be a 350+ page thing on it
Don’t get your panties in a twist. Just wait for handbrake to support Dolby Vision or just clone the disk 1:1 on a bdxl and use a Panasonic 4K player to playback mon
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

fenton wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:23 am

Don’t get your panties in a twist. Just wait for handbrake to support Dolby Vision or just clone the disk 1:1 on a bdxl and use a Panasonic 4K player to playback mon
handbrake probably wont ever support it because its proprietary and would probably need to be licensed from dolby. and 1:1 coping is not going to work either on some discs that have playback protecting with fake play lists
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
fenton

Post by fenton »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:30 am
fenton wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:23 am

handbrake probably wont ever support it because its proprietary and would probably need to be licensed from dolby. and 1:1 coping is not going to work either on some discs that have playback protecting with fake play lists
Now you are just trolling me. Dvdfab removes the protection kid
fenton

Post by fenton »

Dvdfab preserves Dolby vision if you use the ripper and select preserve dolby vision 😊 I love dvd fab and it rips it to MP4
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

fenton wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:40 am
Dvdfab preserves Dolby vision if you use the ripper and select preserve dolby vision
fenton wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:31 am

Now you are just trolling me. Dvdfab removes the protection kid
I love dvd fab and it rips it to MP4
OK Kid makemkv preserves dolby vision too if you do a full folder rip
but again no unofficial players support it and the official player will mess up when the disc has playlist protection with dvdfab or makemkv if you do a full backup.
and if you rip to mp4 with dvdfab or remux your going to have the same problem as everyone else in the dolby vision thread colors that are slightly off
as you can see its not that simple if it was as your describing everyone would just use dvdfab but they dont because it creates the same flaws because of the profile conversion
and you dont understand there are multiple layers of protection besides aacs 2.x that messup full backups for some discs dvdfab and makemkv only remove the aacs protection when doing a full backup
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

My solution has been to do this:

I use DVDFab to mux out any chapters (like end credits) and subs/audio tracks I don't need

I then mux out the Dolby Vision Layer

I then encode just the base HDR10 layer/audio to save space on my NAS with the latest Handbrake

I then mux back in the DV layer using Dolby mp4mux as a DV7 mp4

I also make a DV8.1 file using the EL+RPU layer + encoded HDR10 layer using yuescopes tool/Dolby mp4 muxer

This gives me a DV7 file with HDR10 fallback support for DV7 and/or HDR10 only compatible playback devices as well as a DV8.1 file for playback devices that support that instead of DV7

Obviously you don't need to do any of the encoding steps if you're not concerned with that
Tigershark4720

Post by Tigershark4720 »

Make MKV will preserve the Dolby vision layer as a .mkv file now, it was part of 1.3, I havent had any issues of it triggering on my shield, I just don't re encode the file, the nightly version of handbrake now supports a proper 10 bit pipeline with no filters on, that is what I use to get HDR10 out of my non DV movies
biggs0427

Post by biggs0427 »

I've ripped a couple dozen Dolby Vision movies from UHD discs using MakeMKV in the past year and it's preserved DV just fine. I play them using Plex and an NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 version) and it does trigger DV on my TV.*

My typical workflow would be:
1. Rip via MakeMKV.
2. Remux using MKVToolnix to pull in extra subtitles if needed (typically basic text ones if it has forced subtitles for foreign language parts to avoid issues where it needs to transcode an entire movie to burn in subtitles). I do not re-encode anything and use the uncompressed audio.
3. Play via Plex.

* I had an issue where some newly added movies weren't triggering DV (just HDR10) and thought maybe those discs had done things differently from others, but Plex forums indicated that the DV decoder on Shield would sometimes crash. Once I fully restarted the Shield, they all worked fine, so the DV decoder was probably my issue.