Assassin's Creed (2016) "corrupt or invalid at offset..."

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
dcoke22

Re: Assassin's Creed (2016) "corrupt or invalid at offset..."

Post by dcoke22 »

I just want to make sure I understand.
  • MakeMKV has successfully made a decrypted backup of the disc in question without any errors in the log.
  • Using ImgBurn w/ AnyDVD to create an ISO of the aforementioned MakeMKV backup works without error.
  • Using MakeMKV to create a .mkv file from the ISO fails.
  • Using MakeMKV to create a .mkv file from the MakeMKV backup also fails.
  • Using MakeMKV to create a .mkv file directly from the optical disc also fails.
Are all of those things true?

I don't have much experience with AnyDVD or making .mkv files from ISOs. I have a lot of experience with MakeMKV backups. If we simplify the setup by leaving AnyDVD and ISOs out of the equation, it seems very unusual that a backup could be made without error but then a .mkv file would not be able to be made from the backup.

If there was something weird about the encryption scheme on that particular movie, I'd expect to have read several threads on this forum as people kept bumping into it. Since I haven't, I suspect there's nothing too weird with all the Assassin's Creed (2016) discs. The movie is relatively popular (although I don't own it personally).

If there was some flaw with your particular disc, I would expect MakeMKV to fail while it is making the decrypted backup. Since that's not the case, it makes me wonder if something happened (or is happening) between backup creation and the attempt to create a .mkv file.

Is the version of MakeMKV that made the backup and the .mkv the same? Are you using a recent version? 1.16.4 is the most recent version.
Are both things happening on the same machine?
Is the backup being moved?
Is the backup on local storage or on a network share?
DWreck1995

Post by DWreck1995 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:25 pm
I just want to make sure I understand.
  • MakeMKV has successfully made a decrypted backup of the disc in question without any errors in the log.
  • Using ImgBurn w/ AnyDVD to create an ISO of the aforementioned MakeMKV backup works without error.
  • Using MakeMKV to create a .mkv file from the ISO fails.
  • Using MakeMKV to create a .mkv file from the MakeMKV backup also fails.
  • Using MakeMKV to create a .mkv file directly from the optical disc also fails.
Are all of those things true?

I don't have much experience with AnyDVD or making .mkv files from ISOs. I have a lot of experience with MakeMKV backups. If we simplify the setup by leaving AnyDVD and ISOs out of the equation, it seems very unusual that a backup could be made without error but then a .mkv file would not be able to be made from the backup.

If there was something weird about the encryption scheme on that particular movie, I'd expect to have read several threads on this forum as people kept bumping into it. Since I haven't, I suspect there's nothing too weird with all the Assassin's Creed (2016) discs. The movie is relatively popular (although I don't own it personally).

If there was some flaw with your particular disc, I would expect MakeMKV to fail while it is making the decrypted backup. Since that's not the case, it makes me wonder if something happened (or is happening) between backup creation and the attempt to create a .mkv file.

Is the version of MakeMKV that made the backup and the .mkv the same? Are you using a recent version? 1.16.4 is the most recent version.
Are both things happening on the same machine?
Is the backup being moved?
Is the backup on local storage or on a network share?
Yes, all of those things are true.

Even if the encryption were a problem for MakeMKV, I have AnyDVD to decrypt it anyway, which according to their forums, doesn't have any decryption issues.

As for MakeMKV, I'm using V1.16.4 and it is the same version that made the backup. They are happening on the same machine, the backup is not being moved, and the backup is on local storage.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Wow. I think you've reset my rankings for folks with the weirdest problems on this forum. Nicely done. :)

This situation is seemingly impossible… which of course, just means it is very unlikely. The picture you posted shows 00006.m2ts as being a file MakeMKV was having trouble with. If you go into the decrypted backup, into the STREAM folder, and play that file (with VLC or MPV or similar), does it play correctly? Is that file a segment in the movie? I recall that you said you played the movie all the way through, but did this segment play?

Hopefully Mike will drop in offer his thoughts.
DWreck1995

Post by DWreck1995 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:46 pm
Wow. I think you've reset my rankings for folks with the weirdest problems on this forum. Nicely done. :)

This situation is seemingly impossible… which of course, just means it is very unlikely. The picture you posted shows 00006.m2ts as being a file MakeMKV was having trouble with. If you go into the decrypted backup, into the STREAM folder, and play that file (with VLC or MPV or similar), does it play correctly? Is that file a segment in the movie? I recall that you said you played the movie all the way through, but did this segment play?

Hopefully Mike will drop in offer his thoughts.
I'm with you. I've never run across something like this before. Fingers crossed it's a one off.

The 00006.m2ts file is actually the whole movie. And yes, it plays fine as a disc in a Blu-ray player, as a disc with PowerDVD and VLC, and as a mounted ISO with PowerDVD and VLC. But for shits and giggles, I also played just the 00006.m2ts file in VLC and it played fine as will. I guess the error is either being corrected, not noticeable to the naked eye, or just not really there...