A quiet place part 2

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
triplerinse

A quiet place part 2

Post by triplerinse »

I tried ripping a quiet place 2 last Friday 7/30/21 and was unable. Volume key unknown. i sent the tgz file to
svq@makemkv.com as of 8/4/21 i am still not able to rip. i followed the steps on "Fixing Volume Key is Unknown" i get a address when entering the command in cmd. and i DONT receive in the log

Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Downloading latest HK to C:\Users\xxxxxxxxx/.MakeMKV ...
Automatic HK downloading is disabled or failed.

when does Mkv download the volume keys i never see this in the log that it actually is downloading and is there anything else i can try.
Woodstock

Re: A quiet place part 2

Post by Woodstock »

triplerinse wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:15 pm
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Downloading latest HK to C:\Users\xxxxxxxxx/.MakeMKV ...
Automatic HK downloading is disabled or failed.
The HK file referenced above is the "Hash Keys" for known disks.

You've still got something blocking that process.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
triplerinse

Post by triplerinse »

im sorry i dont follow you when you say i still have something blocking that. nothing has changed. same router, same pc, same and new install of mkv. and event tried through a vpn .
triplerinse

Post by triplerinse »

and i assuming you saw that i DONT get the download error?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

As you probably know, MakeMKV downloads "Hash Keys" when it needs to and stores them on your computer. These keys allow MakeMKV to decrypt the discs you ask it to rip. Normally this process happens silently with no log entries. There are messages in the log when a necessary download fails for some reason.

The Fixing Volume Key is Unknown post (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=24711) outlines the steps to take to understand what's happening in that case.

If you're not getting those kinds of errors, then presumably MakeMKV can download the necessary keys just fine. If MakeMKV can't decrypt your disc then it is probably because MakeMKV doesn't have a key for your disc. The UHD FAQ (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16883) has some reasons why that might be the case. From your post, I can't tell if you emailed the .tgz dump file on 7/30/21 or on 8/4/21. The process to turn a .tgz file into a 'hash key' that MakeMKV can use to decrypt a disc is a manual one performed by MakeMKV's author so it can take a variable amount of time.

Over the weekend, there were reports on this forum that some people were getting email bounce messages when they submitted things to svq@makemkv.com. It seems to be fixed now, however. If you submitted the .tgz dump file on Friday, perhaps try submitting it again in case it got lost in whatever the email server weirdness was. In the interim, you can create an encrypted backup of your disc if you like. When the key for your disc is available, you can make a .mkv from the encrypted backup without having to read from the optical disc again.
triplerinse

Post by triplerinse »

thanks for your info I appreciate the response. i will resend it when i get a chance. im sorry to ask and only if you have time when you say make a back up with an encrypted backup are you talking through mkv or a different program. i feel bad i have been using mkv for ever and it has just worked. Now i feel like i am new and an idiot thanks
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

'Backups' is a thing MakeMKV can do. https://makemkv.com/faq/item/4

It is also mentioned in the UHD FAQ (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16883)
Is there a way to "test" a disc to make sure the disc is good?
If you're waiting after submitting a dump, you can use MakeMKV's Backup function to copy the entire undecrypted disc to your hard drive in order to test that the UHD itself is good, and then once the key is available, you can use MakeMKV to open the disc backup off your hard drive. When you start MakeMKV, don't open the disc - just push the Backup button, an icon with a green arrow pointing into a yellow folder, second-from-left in the top row of icons.
Personally, I use this feature all the time. I make a backup of a disc (usually a decrypted backup) and then create the various .mkv files I'm interested in from that. With the backup on one drive and having MakeMKV deposit the .mkv files it creates on a different drive I get very high speeds when I make a .mkv file. This makes it easy for me to sift through all the things on the disc and get the names of things correct in MakeMKV (and thus in the resulting .mkv file) without having to read from the optical disc multiple times or having to fix it up after the fact with the mkvtoolnix tools.
theroninhunter

Post by theroninhunter »

I'm also getting errors trying to download the HK file, I've disabled my AV and Firewalla but same issue

nslookup hkdata.fairuse.org
Server: mskf23-225-v.komtet.ru
Address: 91.224.23.225

*** mskf23-225-v.komtet.ru can't find nslookup: Non-existent domain