[Solved]Makemkv roku plex mkv narrative UHD

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
HittiittitiH

[Solved]Makemkv roku plex mkv narrative UHD

Post by HittiittitiH »

I just got a roko ultra to support big 4k movies like 76GB. My intel nuc6cays could not handle the file it was choppy and laggy through Plex. My LG 4K TV web operating system is able to play without choppy but kept on buffering every 2 minutes through plex.

So I bought a Roku ultra everything smooth except for now the Plex app picks up narrative describing the movie.

I read this thread
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20078

Im muxing the mkv file without subtitles and just with the highest definition sound 7.1 I'll report back see if it still narrates.
Last edited by HittiittitiH on Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HittiittitiH

Re: Makemkv roku plex mkv narrative

Post by HittiittitiH »

So, no more narrative but I cannot direct play, spits out disable direct play on plex about 7.1, so I am remuxing the mkv file again with dts-hd 7.1 and dts 5.1. This is getting interesting. I am new at this but seems pretty much straight forward. makemkv, mkvtoolnix, bluray.

HittiittitiH

Post by HittiittitiH »

Found this to be the culprit of the narrator. ac3 en.
I tried dts-hd, dts separate files and set to default track, i got there was no audio detected during force direct playback on plex.

ac3 en default track enabled went through direct playback but its the narrator.

I am remuxing ac3 en with the set default track disabled, see if that works with out the narrator and direct play.

HittiittitiH

Post by HittiittitiH »

Ok this lead to quite a few things.
Interesting, hope this can help someone out if they come across this thread.

I fixed the direct playback & narrator of the mkv made by makemkv and remuxed by mkvtoolnix on the roku ultra through plex.

In mkvtoolnix, I first deselected everything and selected dts-hd 7.1 as default and selected dts 5.1 as well but not default in one mkv remux through mkvtoolnix as shown below.

Went into roku ultra audio settings, selected Audio HDMI dolby digital, DTS.

Direct playback worked with sound but it was choppy. I disabled direct playback. <just wanted to see if this would perform better or worse.

As I am a plex premium member, I enabled few things shown below in plex/transcoder screenshot.

Everything is in working order now, now I need to go through the rest of the 7 HP 4K movies and remux them because they were getting narrated.