The Alfred Hitchcock Classics Collection

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Chris Kelly

Re: The Alfred Hitchcock Classics Collection

Post by Chris Kelly »

I just tried ripping "Vertigo" with the BU40N. I don't know why it says "No Disc Incerted" at the end. Here's the error and my system configuration.

MakeMKV v1.16.3 win(x64-release) started
Using LibreDrive mode (v06.2 id=FA108BB7DA63)
Backing up disc into folder "C:/Users/Owner/Videos/The Alfred Hitchcock Classics Collection/Vertigo/Movie/VERTIGO"
Downloading latest HK to C:\Users\Owner/.MakeMKV ...
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID FIELD IN CDB' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00294.m2ts' at offset '84187017216'
Failed to save title /BDMV/STREAM/00294.m2ts to file C:/Users/Owner/Videos/The Alfred Hitchcock Classics Collection/Vertigo/Movie/VERTIGO/BDMV/STREAM/00294.m2ts
Backup done but 1 files failed hash check

Drive Information
OS device name: \Device\CdRom0
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BU40N
Revision: 1.04
Serial number: MOAKC1J2510
Firmware date: 2120-05-06 11:42
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.04
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

No disc inserted

Billycar11 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:58 am
Chris Kelly wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:51 am
Actually, when checking the VLC option in the MakeMKV integration screen, the "Vertigo" disc stops playback in random places whether using the BU40N or WH16NS60. I thought I left an error message in my original post.
The error I left in my original post happened with the BU40N and WH16NS60.
need to see it on the BU40N the one you show is on wh16NS60
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Well it does not look to be a power issue.
If you haven't already clean them
After that you might just have to return them and wait a few months and hope all the bad discs go away
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Chris Kelly

Post by Chris Kelly »

I e-mailed Universal Pictures Home Entertainment. I didn't mention AnyDVDHD, DVD Fab, MakeMKV, etc.. All I mentioned was that I don't have a standard 4K UHD Blu-ray player, I use various computer optical drives with various software and firmware, and I'm having the same drive read issues even after replacing the set at Amazon. Within the past eighteen months, I've noticed these read issues have only been with 4K UHD Blu-ray discs, and not 1080p Blu-ray discs. I LOVE HDR, but if these random read issues continue as I purchase new 4K UHD Blu-ray releases, on one hand, I'm thinking about just giving up on the format and returning to 1080p Blu-ray and DVD. Is enjoying 4K UHD HDR really worth this headache? On the other hand, I did accumulate a collection of releases which weren't giving me any permanent issues before/until eighteen months ago. And after coming so far, I'd hate to just give up.
Chris Kelly

Post by Chris Kelly »

I'm wondering if the home video distributers/distributors have figured out ways for discs to have read issues with computer drives to prevent copying, yet no read issues with Blu-ray players.
Chris Kelly

I Thought You Might Find the First Part of This Useful

Post by Chris Kelly »

After doing some Googling, there is a thread about this at Home Theater Forum. I tried soaking the disc with warm water, but with no difference. The people who have problems are using Oppo players. I believe Oppo players also use a MediaTek platform like our drives. I know MakeMKV and AnyDVDHD wont work with the Pioneer BDR-212UBK since it's not a libre drive. However, if MakeMKV has the keys for these discs, I understand a libredrive isn't required.
Billycar11

Re: I Thought You Might Find the First Part of This Useful

Post by Billycar11 »

Chris Kelly wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:33 pm
However, if MakeMKV has the keys for these discs, I understand a libredrive isn't required.
Wrong where are you getting this info?
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Yea, as I said on the other forum, without disabling bus encryption any image you make from a UHD is completely useless.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Billycar11 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:22 pm
Chris Kelly wrote:
However, if MakeMKV has the keys for these discs, I understand a libredrive isn't required.
It's an assumption that CAN apply to some blu-rays (that aren't bus encrypted) but does not apply to UHD at all.
Chris Kelly

Post by Chris Kelly »

I'm not being sarcastic. I appreciate these corrections and clarifications. Sometimes it's easy to misinterpret and/or assume it applies to more situations than it actually does.
SamuriHL wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:24 pm
Billycar11 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:22 pm
Chris Kelly wrote:
It's an assumption that CAN apply to some blu-rays (that aren't bus encrypted) but does not apply to UHD at all.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

It is indeed easy to assume sometimes. That's why we're here to help clarify. :)