Game of Thrones

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
TheShoe

Game of Thrones

Post by TheShoe »

Has anyone had success ripping this series?

Of the 8 seasons,

season 2: Disc 1 and 3 fail; tried 5 different drives and two different pieces of software
season 8: Disc 1 fails, two different sets.

discs play fine in my Oppo UHD player, and oddly enough it seems I can (so far) copy the encrypted files and no reported read errors.

what is it about these discs?

season 1 and multiple other seasons i had to re-try multiple times to get a "clean" error free rip of many discs.

-

as for cleaning, I think i've tried about everything short of a rotary polisher at this point....

if the files copy (encrypted) and I can then create MKVs that would be something. unfortunately that means I can't decrypt the whole disc for a whole-disc backup, which I prefer...

anyway - curious what others have experienced.
Billycar11

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by Billycar11 »

BU40N is the way to go
many have reported they have tried set after set on there current drive they gave up got a BU40N and right away it ripped all problem discs
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
TheShoe

Post by TheShoe »

thanks. seems the copy (not rip) using Windows is also now stuck - i didn't watch the entire disc in the Oppo and it's entirely possible it won't play without issue either.

Amazing this set - after some searching around, it seems a lot of folks are having issues.

Maybe I'll try the other LG drive you mentioned...
TheShoe

Post by TheShoe »

So...

I kid you not on this:

I took an orbital sander, a lambs wool disc, and Maguires 205 car polish that I had and polished the hell out of one of the discs.

It read perfectly.

Going to do another one and see what happens.

Mind you this is a disc that failed every single time across 5 drives; popped it in after the polishing and ripped perfectly no issues.
Digital moe

Post by Digital moe »

Yes cleaning is the easy to go, so many of the discs failed to rip but some cleaning alcohol and a microfiber cloth fixed that. Some discs were more stubborn then others and needed 5 or 6 cleaning attempts.
TheShoe

Post by TheShoe »

Well not bad. All failed discs but one worked after rotary sander + car polish polishing!

I'm going more aggressive on the one failed disc and see what happens.

What a nightmare ripping this series has been.

Anyway - add this to the list of options to clean a disc; in this case I tried all the usual recommendations for cleaning including multiple drives (5) to no avail.