4K UHD ripping offline

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
TubeBar

4K UHD ripping offline

Post by TubeBar »

Is it possible to store your keys locally and have them for future use (i.e. re-ripping)? So far DVDfab, anyDVD and MakeMKV all require you to connect online and download a secret key that is not stored on HDD for future us.

The reason is pretty obvious what happens if you want to re-rip a disc and you have no online connection or the 4k ripping is some how stopped by legal means, the list goes on.

Is it possible to save, store and use your 4k UHD key locally? Why do all the programs require you connect to a database they all appear to maintain?
dcoke22

Re: 4K UHD ripping offline

Post by dcoke22 »

I'm pretty sure MakeMKV does cache keys after they've been downloaded. It would be pretty easy to run an experiment to check. Rip a disc, disconnect your machine from the internet (unplug the ethernet cable or turn off wifi), restart MakeMKV, rip the disc again. I bet it'll work.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Assuming you do not delete the contents of your MakeMKV data directory, MakeMKV still retains the keys for all disks that were available at the time of your last download. Not just ones you've previously ripped; any that had keys available at the time.

Assuming you want to keep this ripping computer "off the net", you could set up MakeMKV on a network-connected machine just to download the hash key file, then transfer the _private_data.tar file from that machine to your ripping machine.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
TubeBar

Post by TubeBar »

Thank you very much dcoke22 and Woodtsock. Indeed I can re-rip a 4k Disc offline and was able to locate the _private_data.tar.

I've been a long time anyDVD user until recently where they (and DVDFab) force users to connect to a private database to download keys and they refuse to keep them locally. I do not want to be dependent on any servers as I stated they get shut down etc. No one should be.

How can I purchase a license for MakeMKV? I really want to support this project since they are doing it right. It says you cannot buy a license http://www.makemkv.com/buy/ can I send a donation instead? I can always buy a license later and use beta for now.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

TubeBar wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 6:46 am
Thank you very much dcoke22 and Woodtsock. Indeed I can re-rip a 4k Disc offline and was able to locate the _private_data.tar.

I've been a long time anyDVD user until recently where they (and DVDFab) force users to connect to a private database to download keys and they refuse to keep them locally. I do not want to be dependent on any servers as I stated they get shut down etc. No one should be.

How can I purchase a license for MakeMKV? I really want to support this project since they are doing it right. It says you cannot buy a license http://www.makemkv.com/buy/ can I send a donation instead? I can always buy a license later and use beta for now.
Mike, the developer has just recently changed his web hosting and should have the licensing purchasing part operational soon.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
TubeBar

Post by TubeBar »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 6:58 am
TubeBar wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 6:46 am

Mike, the developer has just recently changed his web hosting and should have the licensing purchasing part operational soon.
Great thanks will just wait for him to sort it out :D