Missing MPLS on Alien 4K

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Frage

Missing MPLS on Alien 4K

Post by Frage »

Hi,

I'm writing here because I'm trying to find a solution since 3 hours and I can't figure out a solution.

I ripped the Alien 40th anniversary 4K Bluray edition and I created the Director's cut / Normal mkv movie. I wanted to extract the bonus which contain deleted scenes. I can't find the good playlist on MakeMKV. The bonus playlist is 00861.mpls or 00869.mpls thanks to BDInfo. When I check MakeMKV logs I can read :

Title 00869.mpls is equal to title 00734.mpls and was skipped
Title 00869.mpls(1) is equal to title 00735.mpls and was skipped
Title #00869.mpls(2) has length of 86 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 200 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title 00869.mpls(3) is equal to title 00740.mpls and was skipped
Title 00869.mpls(4) is equal to title 00742.mpls and was skipped
Title 00869.mpls(5) is equal to title 00745.mpls and was skipped
Title 00869.mpls(6) is equal to title 00745.mpls and was skipped
Title #00869.mpls(7) has length of 3 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 200 seconds and was therefore skipped

The only solution I found was to delete these "equal to title" but its almost unlimited and can't make it work. I opened the Bluray with mkvtoolnix and after scanning it found both playlist and I could successfully extract the bonus .... but with mkvtoolnix you lose the Dolby Vision that MakeMKV keep.

Someone found a solution for this problem ? Do you know how to start an extract with a specific playlist as input ?

Regards,

/Frage
dcoke22

Re: Missing MPLS on Alien 4K

Post by dcoke22 »

I don't have that disc, so can't check… but is the bonus material actually in Dolby Vision? Lots of times, only the movie is in DV.
Frage

Post by Frage »

The bonus is on the 4K disk, 4K and HDR10+, nvm I miss read or I was too sleepy when I checked :)

So no DV issue anymore, I can use MKVToolNix instead of MakeMKV to RIP the extras.

Still wonder how to fix this issue if it happen on a DV content and to make it works. Still prefer to RIP with MakeMKV.

Digital moe

Post by Digital moe »

MKVToolNix can rip discs? Never knew this and I had the same issue with Aliens and couldn't rip the deleted scenes. Will need to take a look at this tonight.
Frage

Post by Frage »

Digital moe wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 11:28 am
MKVToolNix can rip discs? Never knew this and I had the same issue with Aliens and couldn't rip the deleted scenes. Will need to take a look at this tonight.
Did you try it ?
Digital moe

Post by Digital moe »

Frage wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 2:44 pm
Digital moe wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 11:28 am
Did you try it ?
Didn't get a chance, will see if I can have a go tonight.
Digital moe

Post by Digital moe »

Frage wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 4:28 pm
The bonus is on the 4K disk, 4K and HDR10+, nvm I miss read or I was too sleepy when I checked :)

So no DV issue anymore, I can use MKVToolNix instead of MakeMKV to RIP the extras.

Still wonder how to fix this issue if it happen on a DV content and to make it works. Still prefer to RIP with MakeMKV.

Do you have an addin that is doing this in ToolNix? I tried adding the index file and it took ages to scan the disc and it got as far as 76% and it looked like the drive when to sleep never seen that before.
Frage

Post by Frage »

Digital moe wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 9:10 pm
Frage wrote:

Do you have an addin that is doing this in ToolNix? I tried adding the index file and it took ages to scan the disc and it got as far as 76% and it looked like the drive when to sleep never seen that before.
I do a decrypted backup with MakeMKV, open the folder with ToolNix and I can select the correct playlist few seconds later. No special issue or plugins.
Digital moe

Post by Digital moe »

Frage wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 7:33 am
Digital moe wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 9:10 pm
Frage wrote:

I do a decrypted backup with MakeMKV, open the folder with ToolNix and I can select the correct playlist few seconds later. No special issue or plugins.
Ah got you. Ok will give that a go.
philb1701

Post by philb1701 »

With regards to the Alien Director's Cut, from what I can tell off the blu-ray, the DC version is actually shorter! This fits with what I've read about it. The DC version is roughly a minute or so shorter than the theatrical version.

From the Alien Quadrilogy booklet interview with Ridley Scott:
“In 1979, when Alien was originally released, I felt that the theatrical cut of the film was the best I could possibly make it. I was very pleased with its pace and structure, and although there were several scenes left on the cutting room floor, I didn’t miss any of them. For all intents and purposes, I felt that the original cut of Alien was perfect. I still feel that way. The traditional definition of the term “Director’s Cut” suggests the restoration of a director’s original vision, free of any creative limitations. It suggests that the filmmaker has finally overcome the interference of heavy-handed studio executives, and that the film has been restored to its original, untampered form. Such is not the case with Alien: The Director’s Cut. It’s a completely different beast. When Twentieth Century Fox approached me to digitally restore the original 1979 cut of the film, they also suggested fully restoring many of the film’s deleted scenes to be reincorporated into a proposed expanded DVD version of the film. Following an exhaustive year-long restoration process, Fox then decided to re-release ALIEN theatrically. It was their hope that I would see fit to include several of the deleted scenes we had restored in order to give moviegoers additional incentive to see the film in theaters. Upon viewing the proposed expanded version of the film, I felt that cut was simply too long and the pacing completely thrown off. After all, I cut those extra scenes out for a reason back in 1979. However, in the interest of giving the fans a new experience with Alien, I figured there had to be an appropriate middle ground. I chose to go in and recut that proposed long version into a more streamlined and polished alternate version of the film. For marketing purposes, this version is being called “The Director’s Cut”. To film purists everywhere, rest easy. The original 1979 theatrical version isn’t going anywhere. It remains my version of choice and is presented fully restored and remastered under my personal supervision alongside the new Director’s Cut in this DVD set.”
Source: DVD booklet from Alien Quadrilogy