LA LA Land not being recognized by WH16NS60

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
DigitalJockey

LA LA Land not being recognized by WH16NS60

Post by DigitalJockey »

Hello all,

I've just got an LG WH16NS60 and the first disc I tried went rogue on me.

I was wondering if anyone tried the US version of LA LA Land on this drive. The disc works fine on my Xbox One, but won't even be recognized by the LG drive. It keeps spinning with weird noises.

All the other discs I'vd tried seen to be ok, except perhaps for "Serenity" that kept stuck on a read loop while ripping it with MKV.

I wonder if I have a faulty drive.

Thanks
dcoke22

Re: LA LA Land not being recognized by WH16NS60

Post by dcoke22 »

I have ripped the La La Land blu-ray. I rip most things with my WH16NS60. I do have an ASUS BW-16D1HT as well that I use when the NS60 won't rip a disc. I don't honestly remember which drive I used for La La Land, but probably the NS60. You could try gently cleaning the disc.

In my experience having two or more different drives is helpful. On the rare occasion when my NS60 has trouble with a disc I can often take it out of the NS60 and put it directly in ASUS drive and it'll rip without error. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The LG BU40N is also highly regarded, but I don't have any personal experience with it.
DigitalJockey

Post by DigitalJockey »

dcoke22 wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:37 pm
I have ripped the La La Land blu-ray. I rip most things with my WH16NS60. I do have an ASUS BW-16D1HT as well that I use when the NS60 won't rip a disc. I don't honestly remember which drive I used for La La Land, but probably the NS60. You could try gently cleaning the disc.

In my experience having two or more different drives is helpful. On the rare occasion when my NS60 has trouble with a disc I can often take it out of the NS60 and put it directly in ASUS drive and it'll rip without error. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The LG BU40N is also highly regarded, but I don't have any personal experience with it.
Thank you for your feedback.

Just to be clear. You ripped the 4k blu-ray or the regular 1080p one?

Is it common a disc is not recognized by one drive, but it's recognized by other?

I had slim drives before and they didn't last long, so opted for a big drive and now I'm not sure I did the right thing.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

DigitalJockey wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:48 pm
The 1080p blu-ray.
DigitalJockey wrote:
Is it common a disc is not recognized by one drive, but it's recognized by other?
In my experience of a few hundred blu-rays and maybe 75 UHDs, it is relatively uncommon for a disc not to work in my 'main' drive. However, when it happens, most of the time my other drive works just fine. A few discs have benefitted from a gentle cleaning, but my default these days is to try my second drive first and then only clean the disc if that doesn't work. (I'm excluding the very few physically damaged discs I've ended up with.)

The second drive is a relatively inexpensive way to minimize my pain and frustration of ripping movies. There are plenty of threads here of people who struggle mightily to get their one drive to rip their latest, most anticipated movie ever! That frustration sometimes bubbles over into frantic posts.

My first drive I just bought and flashed on my own. My second drive I purchased from a seller here on this forum. The sellers here flash and then test the drives before they sell them. The slight premium they charge for this fine service was worth it to me.

One final note, MakeMKV can use more than one optical drive at a time. This is handy for speeding up ripping of multi-disc TV shows or if you have a large movie collection you'd like to get ripped quickly.
DigitalJockey

Post by DigitalJockey »

dcoke22 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:09 pm
DigitalJockey wrote:
The 1080p blu-ray.
DigitalJockey wrote:
In my experience of a few hundred blu-rays and maybe 75 UHDs, it is relatively uncommon for a disc not to work in my 'main' drive. However, when it happens, most of the time my other drive works just fine. A few discs have benefitted from a gentle cleaning, but my default these days is to try my second drive first and then only clean the disc if that doesn't work. (I'm excluding the very few physically damaged discs I've ended up with.)

The second drive is a relatively inexpensive way to minimize my pain and frustration of ripping movies. There are plenty of threads here of people who struggle mightily to get their one drive to rip their latest, most anticipated movie ever! That frustration sometimes bubbles over into frantic posts.

My first drive I just bought and flashed on my own. My second drive I purchased from a seller here on this forum. The sellers here flash and then test the drives before they sell them. The slight premium they charge for this fine service was worth it to me.

One final note, MakeMKV can use more than one optical drive at a time. This is handy for speeding up ripping of multi-disc TV shows or if you have a large movie collection you'd like to get ripped quickly.
Hello again,

First I would like to thank you for your detailed answer.

The last time I've bought a drive was when DVD were still a thing and they played everything you threw at them, so it was surprise to learn from you and others here at the forum that some discs might not work on certain drives. Learning that certainly saved me a lot of frustration.

I'm having a hard time ripping LA LA Land 4K disc. It's a new disc that was played once and for some reason the LG drive won't accept it since I took out of the box. Tried with the standard firmware, the custom firmware back to standard and nothing. It would certainly saved me a lot of trouble if we had this talk earlier.

I'm gonna try to get another copy to see if the drive accepts it, out of curiosity.

Also, I would never imagine in a million years that MakeMKV accepted multiple drives. This is gonna be really useful for those older DVDs. Thanks for the tip.

By the way, do you know how the sellers here test the drives? I would like to test mine.

I've read somewhere that they use a 25gb, a 50gb, a 66gb an a 100gb discs but that was all.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

DigitalJockey wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:24 am
The last time I've bought a drive was when DVD were still a thing and they played everything you threw at them, so it was surprise to learn from you and others here at the forum that some discs might not work on certain drives. Learning that certainly saved me a lot of frustration.
The density of data of UHDs is very high compared to where we started. The discs themselves are the same physical size as CDs. In the 1980s, it was a wonder that a whole music album fit on a disc that size. In computer terms, that is 700MB or so. My copy of 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) came on a 100GB disc. It is the same physical size as a CD, but has more than 100 times the data on it. Consequently, the tiny pits that make up the data stored on the disc are a lot closer together which makes reading that data is harder. A UHD player connected to your TV probably misreads data off the disc all the time, but the player doesn't care. It has to keep reading data so it can keep showing the movie. A single frame might have a small mistake in it, but you probably won't see it. MakeMKV, on the other hand, is reading the data like a computer file. It wants to read all the data correctly.

DigitalJockey wrote:
Also, I would never imagine in a million years that MakeMKV accepted multiple drives. This is gonna be really useful for those older DVDs. Thanks for the tip.
The easiest way to use more than one drive with MakeMKV is to turn on single drive mode in the Preferences -> IO -> Ask for single drive mode. When you turn this on, when you launch MakeMKV it will have a dialog box that asks you which drive you want this instance of MakeMKV to use. When you make a new instance of MakeMKV, you can pick a different drive. This will keep multiple instances of MakeMKV from interfering with each other over access to the same optical drives.
DigitalJockey

Post by DigitalJockey »

dcoke22 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:58 pm
DigitalJockey wrote:
The density of data of UHDs is very high compared to where we started. The discs themselves are the same physical size as CDs. In the 1980s, it was a wonder that a whole music album fit on a disc that size. In computer terms, that is 700MB or so. My copy of 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) came on a 100GB disc. It is the same physical size as a CD, but has more than 100 times the data on it. Consequently, the tiny pits that make up the data stored on the disc are a lot closer together which makes reading that data is harder. A UHD player connected to your TV probably misreads data off the disc all the time, but the player doesn't care. It has to keep reading data so it can keep showing the movie. A single frame might have a small mistake in it, but you probably won't see it. MakeMKV, on the other hand, is reading the data like a computer file. It wants to read all the data correctly.

DigitalJockey wrote:
The easiest way to use more than one drive with MakeMKV is to turn on single drive mode in the Preferences -> IO -> Ask for single drive mode. When you turn this on, when you launch MakeMKV it will have a dialog box that asks you which drive you want this instance of MakeMKV to use. When you make a new instance of MakeMKV, you can pick a different drive. This will keep multiple instances of MakeMKV from interfering with each other over access to the same optical drives.
Thank you so much for answering all my questions and for all your help! You were very kind and I've learned a lot from you.

I'm certainly gonna make a much better use of my drive now thanks to you.

Thank you!