DV, HDR10+ and a Firestick 4k

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
allomere

DV, HDR10+ and a Firestick 4k

Post by allomere »

Is it the case that the Firestick 4k won't be able to play/properly decode an mkv file with both DV and HDR10+ metadata?
quietvoid

Re: DV, HDR10+ and a Firestick 4k

Post by quietvoid »

Yes
allomere

Post by allomere »

That's a bummer. Is there a way to strip out either the DV or HDR10+ meta after an x265 encode? Or does that have to be done prior to encoding?
allomere

Post by allomere »

Or maybe it's best to keep them both in the hopes that whatever prevents the Firestick from handling this properly will be fixed?
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

You can try this script to remove HDR10+: https://gist.github.com/quietvoid/175d7 ... 9eb1bd2c38
It only works on the raw hevc bitstream.

By default, x265 does not retain any metadata.
allomere

Post by allomere »

Yes, I've added HDR10+ json and DV RPU via command lines. Will this py script work even after the video is encoded? Thanks for your assistance.
allomere

Post by allomere »

Okay, and one more question. :) It seems the file I've created (muxed everything into a .ts file) does actually play on my Firestick 4k. I am playing it on a Samsung television so I presume I'm seeing the HDR10+, but I actually don't know how to verify that. I assume the issue is that if I were playing this on a television that supported Dolby Vision, I would not see DV triggered? FWIW, the file does properly show DV and HDR10+ in mediainfo.
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

allomere wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:10 am
Yes, I've added HDR10+ json and DV RPU via command lines. Will this py script work even after the video is encoded? Thanks for your assistance.
Yes, it's just meant to skip HDR10+ info.
allomere wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:57 am
Okay, and one more question. :) It seems the file I've created (muxed everything into a .ts file) does actually play on my Firestick 4k. I am playing it on a Samsung television so I presume I'm seeing the HDR10+, but I actually don't know how to verify that. I assume the issue is that if I were playing this on a television that supported Dolby Vision, I would not see DV triggered? FWIW, the file does properly show DV and HDR10+ in mediainfo.
I only have a Dolby Vision capable TV, so I don't know how the Firestick behaves on HDR10+ Samsung displays.
In the cases where it doesn't work, Dolby Vision is triggered but displays a black screen because there is also HDR10+ metadata, even if it can't be used by the TV.
Maybe it still works for HDR10+ only displays.