makemkv 1.16.3 with Cap_Sys-Rawio error. fixed as of 04152021

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
ekpen

makemkv 1.16.3 with Cap_Sys-Rawio error. fixed as of 04152021

Post by ekpen »

Hello:
i have been using LG and Asus BW-16D1HT to rip standard bluray and uhd disc since 2017, with no issues.
I was on 1.16.2, when I decided to upgrade to 1.16.3, then the error came up on /dev/sr0, and sr1..
I have reinstalled 1.16.3 several times with no luck.
I have also updated my Java open jdk, no luck.
It tells me I do not belong to cdrom group, Or I have no write or read privileges.
I also did try to use chmod, no luck
In fact, I tried to remove makemkv to start a new install, but no luck ripping either standard bluray or uhd.
I get fatal error, program will exit.
The errors did not crop up until now.
I have ripped more than 3000 blurays with these optical drives.
Going back to 1.16.2, or 1.16.1, do not seem to help.
I am using Ubuntu 20.10 64 bit .

Edit: 03/28/2021:

I noticed Snap installed another version of makemkv 1.16.1: With this the optical loads with no error, but it will not allow me to access 18 hard drives that contain my library. I have uninstalled and re-installed Snap with no luck. At the moment I just removed Snap and the version of makemkv.
Through Synaptic package installer, I installed 1.16.3, still no luck in letting me have a use for my opticals
When media loads, it seem to die on "usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/bin/Java, then a message pops up, fatal error, program exist"
It looks like this mess started when I updated to 1.16.3. Version 1.16.2 did not seem to create any issues.
Thanks.
George
An OS update came in,updated and rebooted the server.
No more problem. Both LG and Asus optical drives work now at the same time.
George.