The Natural/Black Hawk Down

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
bnormal1

The Natural/Black Hawk Down

Post by bnormal1 »

This has me really confused. The 4k discs of these movies have a theatrical cut and an extended cut. Both cuts offer Atmos. For whatever reason the extended cuts on either movie, while listening to the Atmos audio, have audio dropouts for a few seconds and then the audio returns out of sync. It seems to happen during a scene change. A ten second rewind cures it temporarily.

Curiously, the theatrical cuts, while listening to the Atmos audio, do not have the audio dropouts or audio sync issues. Also, if listening to the DTS-HD audio on either cut/movie there is no audio dropouts or sync issues. I just ripped Black Hawk Down a second time using 1.16.1 and have attached the log. It appears that there are audio sync issues that are trying to be corrected by makemkv.

My setup is a Plex library accessed via a Shield Pro 2019 going through a Denon AVR that supports Atmos. Everything is wired via compliant hdmi cables and all devices have the latest fw installed and am using the latest version of Plex.

I do have other 4k movies with theatrical/extended cuts with Atmos that I ripped with makemkv and have no problems. Could it be that these 2 particular extended versions have Atmos audio sync errors baked into the discs?

I'm really just curious as to what the issue might be.
thanks
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
(79.54 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
bnormal1

Re: The Natural/Black Hawk Down

Post by bnormal1 »

Just want to add that I've been reading on other forums that many folks are having the same problem with Black Hawk Down. The conclusion is that Sony had a bad batch of discs but have seen nothing regarding a replacement offer from them. Oh well...DTS-HD it is!
geogan

Post by geogan »

I am having the exact same issue now with 4K Black Hawk Down (UK disc bought from Amazon UK) ripped using latest MakeMKV. I thought I did something wrong. Sound completely out of sync all the time. Movie unwatchable when it happens every minute. Have to keep skipping back 10 seconds on Shield to temporarily correct audio. Is it MakeMKV fault or disc?

EDIT: Definitely seems to be a problem somewhere - most likely the MakeMKV code in the case of movie with seamless branching and Atmos - https://www.reddit.com/r/ShieldAndroidT ... c_in_plex/
AngryVirginian

Post by AngryVirginian »

bnormal1 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:28 pm
I'm really just curious as to what the issue might be.
thanks
Plex has issue with the TrueHD track on dynamic branching disc (multiple cuts on 1 disc) in general. I have the same issue you described on both the Shield Pro 2019 and Apple TV4K 2021. Audio on the extended cut MKV will start getting out of sync at each branching point. Other discs I have with the same issue
  • Halloween Kills 4K
  • Fast Furious 9 4K
  • The Martian 4K
  • Hellboy (2004) 4K
  • Stripes 4K
It is not a MakeMkv issue as the same MKV files played fine on my Zidoo device.
geogan

Post by geogan »

I did watch entire Extended version movie from original 4K disc on Panasonic UB420 player on the same setup through Denon AVR and there was no Atmos problems at all. So its either MakeMKV writing audio in some format that PLEX doesn't like, or some bug in PLEX player itself.

Does anyone know if PLEX is aware of this problem and/or fixing it? Obviously would be a lot easier for us than having to re-rip broken MKV files from disc again.

EDIT: someone asked them about this last year but nobody did anything it seems and the "autoclose" kicked in (i hate that)

https://forums.plex.tv/t/audio-dropouts ... 019/644400

Opened new question about it here: https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-audio-dro ... ies/775510

Please add to that post if anyone finds any more discs with this Atmos problem.