Save both Dolby Vision and HDR10+

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
AtushTheDouche

Save both Dolby Vision and HDR10+

Post by AtushTheDouche »

Hey! I have a Hisense Q8G Android TV that supports both HDR10+ as well as Dolby Vision so in my attempt to backup Godzilla 2 UHD disc that contains both Dolby Vision and HDR10+ I have been able to get a MKV file that contains single video track with 2 layer dvhe.07.06 and also compatible with HDR10+.

When I play this with the latest plex client beta for Android TV it only shows HDR10+ however, I also made a backup for Aquaman which only contains Dolby Vision and that works on my TV without any problems. I can't find any settings to choose Dolby Vision over HDR10+ or vice versa and don't have any other android devices that only support Dolby Vision but not HDR10+. I do have a LG B9 but I don't think the webOS plex client support Dolby Vision in MKV yet.

So my questions are, 1) Is the Dolby Vision metadata safe along with the HDR10+ metadata? 2) Are there any settings that dictate if Dolby Vision takes precedence over HDR10+ or vice versa? Is this device dependent? Or something that Plex needs to address?
dcoke22

Re: Save both Dolby Vision and HDR10+

Post by dcoke22 »

Both kinds of HDR info is in your rip (assuming you're using new enough MakeMKV). If you get the latest version of MediaInfo (https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo) it'll show you something like this:

Code: Select all

HDR format   : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2094 App 4, Version 1, HDR10+ Profile B compatible
If you click 'Get Info' on a DV containing item in Plex, it'll show you info about 'DOVI', aka Dolby Vision.

Playback is the hard part. Quite a lot of discussion on this forum is on this very topic.
AtushTheDouche

Post by AtushTheDouche »

Ahh yes the HDR format you showed is exactly what I see in MediaInfo! and yes Plex shows DOVI info. Thanks for the confirmation! I am glad that works! Kudos Devs!

For playback, like I said if there is only Dolby Vision in the file then it plays perfectly on my Android TV. But since this file has both, the TV has no options to choose which profile I would like to use, but I guess that is something that needs to be done either in Plex, Android TV or something custom by Hisense.
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

I've resorted to keeping 2 versions of DV files - a DTDL DV7 for fallback compatibility with HDR10/HDR10+ on clients that support that, as well as DV7 on clients that support that for best quality DV - and a DVP8.1 file made from that that works with DV on more streaming devices that happen to have P 5/8 support - as well as PC win10. Can't get HDR10/10+ fallback compatibility to work with made P8 ones.

Really screwed with my expected storage size
neebster

Post by neebster »

Are you sure you're playing back HDR10+ (proper dynamic metadata) and not just HDR10?