Dolby Vision or not...

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
bnormal1

Dolby Vision or not...

Post by bnormal1 »

Not sure if this is the appropriate place for this but I trust the opinions of folks here more-so than on some other sites...that being said:

I have a Denon S750 receiver (has the latest fw installed) being fed audio/video from a Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro (has the latest fw installed) which accesses my plex server. The plex library has 4k Dolby Vision files ripped from makemkv into .mkv files. The Shield is connected to the Denon through the "media player" hdmi 5 port which outputs to my Dolby Vision capable 4k tv (has the latest fw installed). Appropriate hdmi cables on both ends...On the Shield I have the video configured as HDR10 and DV outputting at 12-bits BT2020 @ 24fps. When playing a 4k DV movie the S750 video info says it's getting an 8 bit rgb signal from the Shield. The DV "sign" does pop up on the tv. However, if I disable DV on the Shield and play the same 4k movie the video info on the S750 says 12 bit BT2020 and the TV just sees hdr10.

I see that a few folks are having the exact same problem and it seems the Shield is the issue...not handling DV correctly. However, on other sites I've read that's how a Dolby Vision signal(?)is sent...it transports along a 8-bit rgb tunnel and that when it gets to the tv it magically becomes a Dolby Vision signal(?)....which would mean that the Denon video signal of 8-bit RGB is correct.

Doesn't seem like both can be true, right? It's either the Shield isn't sending DV correctly or it's working exactly as it should…which is it? Bottom line is this...I can't tell any difference in pq...so does that make this whole point moot? Or moo as Joey says....But if there is a problem with the shield I'd like to be aware of it.

thanks
shawnc22

Re: Dolby Vision or not...

Post by shawnc22 »

bnormal1 wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:04 pm
However, on other sites I've read that's how a Dolby Vision signal(?)is sent...it transports along a 8-bit rgb tunnel and that when it gets to the tv it magically becomes a Dolby Vision signal(?)....which would mean that the Denon video signal of 8-bit RGB is correct.
That's the correct info there. RGB tunneling is the preferred way of sending a DV signal if your TV supports it, which seems like your TV does.
bnormal1

Re: Dolby Vision or not...

Post by bnormal1 »

Thanks shawnc22!