Streaming box/player for 4k DV & Atmos playbackl

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
jbrown

Streaming box/player for 4k DV & Atmos playbackl

Post by jbrown »

Hello. With all the awesome new developments that have added in DolbyVision and Atmos, what are the most effective hardware/client combos for playback on TVs?

I have all the 4k MKVs on a media server that is hardwired. I have an Oppo 203 as well as the Plex client running on my TV. The Plex client on the TV is pretty flakey with the 4k MKVs. Most don't play without trying to transcode and if they do play it's with HRD10. Also, my TV doesn't have eARC so the Atmos track wouldn't come through. The Oppo will play all of the MKV files, but seems to only display HDR10.

So what combos of hardware and players have people had success with? I am running Plex on my media server. Are there any streaming boxes out there that can play Atmos and DV via the Plex client? Would the Apple TV 4k work? Definitely doesn't have to be through Plex though.
shawnc22

Re: Streaming box/player for 4k DV & Atmos playbackl

Post by shawnc22 »

Unfortunately no device at the moment is able to do Plex and DV+Atmos with 100% picture accuracy. Shield will do it, but there are picture quality issues. Your best bet would be to just play the full disk folder or iso backups off your oppo.
jbrown

Post by jbrown »

shawnc22 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:12 am
Your best bet would be to just play the full disk folder or iso backups off your oppo.
Which I definitely end up doing. The problem I have is that the Oppo doesn't end up playing with DV, just HDR10. If someone has a method to do that with an Oppo that would be awesome. But I kinda assume there isn't, especially since they killed off the product.

That's why I was wondering what solutions others had. There a way to do it through a 4k Apple TV?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

jbrown wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:41 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:12 am
Your best bet would be to just play the full disk folder or iso backups off your oppo.
Which I definitely end up doing. The problem I have is that the Oppo doesn't end up playing with DV, just HDR10. If someone has a method to do that with an Oppo that would be awesome. But I kinda assume there isn't, especially since they killed off the product.

That's why I was wondering what solutions others had. There a way to do it through a 4k Apple TV?
If your oppo is on the factory firmware, then you might need to update to a custom firmware to get that functionality. Somebody else with an oppo here will have a better idea on what that entails or just try looking around google. The oppo can definitely do DV from folder backups, it's out there.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

jbrown wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:41 pm
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 67#p103542

shawnc22 is right, there's no perfect answer at the moment.