TENET UHD RB - Failed to open disk

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
TheShoe

Re: TENET UHD RB - Failed to open disk

Post by TheShoe »

Amazon (US) version "64DA" still not working.

Bummer.

EDIT:

The disc won't even back up properly without decryption (makemkv says it backed up but one file failed hash check; however the disc never fully backs up - odd behavior) - no amount of cleaning helped, so exchanging it.
hedbert

Post by hedbert »

A470 is working now too!! Thank you!
preserve

Post by preserve »

hedbert wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:56 pm
A470 is working now too!! Thank you!
Confirmed! I had no issues making a backup, and I just ripped from the backup with no issues... It's a Christmas miracle! Just on time lol... I'll be watching this tomorrow night! :D
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
TORRRRR

Post by TORRRRR »

Original poster here: Thank you Mike! MKB20_v76_Tenet_A470.tgz

100% successful backup.
rbphelan

Post by rbphelan »

TheShoe wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:09 pm
Amazon (US) version "64DA" still not working.

Bummer.

EDIT:

The disc won't even back up properly without decryption (makemkv says it backed up but one file failed hash check; however the disc never fully backs up - odd behavior) - no amount of cleaning helped, so exchanging it.
This is the version that I have and it's working (MKB20_v76_TENET_64DA). Good call to have it exchanged.
TheShoe

Post by TheShoe »

Closing the loop - new (exchanged) set arrived today from Amazon.

Backing up fine.
enzolt

Post by enzolt »

I tried two copies..
First one from Best Buy, couldnt rip and couldnt backup..
Exchanged it for another copy...still couldnt rip and still couldnt backup...

Same issue with invalid CDB
preserve

Post by preserve »

Since many are watching this one with subtitles, the disc doesn't include non-SDH subtitles, and I found the SDH to be quite excessive compared to other discs where it's minimal, I present English SRT Subtitles for North America UHD / Blu-ray minus the SDH portions, for anyone who's interested:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 1057911043
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
charlie62

Post by charlie62 »

Is the UK version good to go or is it still waiting for a key
simon_ldt

Post by simon_ldt »

The Nordic version is decrypted (I got the Finnish steelbook edition).

Had a bit of hassle ripping this one (although nowhere near as bad as Black Hawk Down or Fury). Tried it on 2x speed and encountered an error around 62gb into the main movie file (the rip completed, which is usually a good sign rather than it getting stuck and failing altogether).

Gave the disc a good clean and tried again. Same spot it got stuck this time so I manually aborted it. Decided to try unlimited speed but the drive did not like it at all. It wanted to get going but kept stalling (drive was making a revving sound like it wanted to take off but it just couldn't).

Aborted it manually and decided to try at around 5x speed. I wasn't expecting much but it actually got past the 60gb mark and completed without errors, took about 1hr at that speed.

Very strange as I did not clean the disc again after the initial 1 time I did. Just proves to me how delicate and finicky these discs are. I only give up on a disc after about 10 attempts and at least 3 cleans.
TheShoe

Post by TheShoe »

The QC on UHD is terrible.

Tenent was one of the worst for me; I just returned for an exchange the Lord of the Rings 4K set because one of the discs refused to rip at a certain point.

I’ve had easily 20 UHD discs fail to backup with at least one well past the return/exchange date so I actually bought the title a second time (Guardians of the Galaxy 2). Granted I have a few hundred UHDs, but when compared to bluray, the failure rate is very high from my experience. In fact to this day I still only have one bluray disc that makemkv can’t back up — Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy (movie, not the TV series). It plays perfectly fine. It just won’t back up.
SyrimSloane

Post by SyrimSloane »

simon_ldt wrote:The Nordic version is decrypted (I got the Finnish steelbook edition).

Had a bit of hassle ripping this one (although nowhere near as bad as Black Hawk Down or Fury). Tried it on 2x speed and encountered an error around 62gb into the main movie file (the rip completed, which is usually a good sign rather than it getting stuck and failing altogether).

Gave the disc a good clean and tried again. Same spot it got stuck this time so I manually aborted it. Decided to try unlimited speed but the drive did not like it at all. It wanted to get going but kept stalling (drive was making a revving sound like it wanted to take off but it just couldn't).

Aborted it manually and decided to try at around 5x speed. I wasn't expecting much but it actually got past the 60gb mark and completed without errors, took about 1hr at that speed.

Very strange as I did not clean the disc again after the initial 1 time I did. Just proves to me how delicate and finicky these discs are. I only give up on a disc after about 10 attempts and at least 3 cleans.
How do you change drive speed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

SyrimSloane wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:26 am
How do you change drive speed?
MakeMKV drive speed control
stuckinkodiagain

Post by stuckinkodiagain »

My advice to anyone having troubles with Tenet (apart from decryption) is to make an unencrypted backup first, and then get the MKV from the backup. Don't just try to get the MKV directly from the disc.

Same problem happened for me with the UHD import from the UK of Crash (1996). But getting the MKV from a full disc backup worked perfectly.
by96$

Post by by96$ »

I just received Tenet from Amazon and am having problems ripping it or backing it up. I continually get an error message:

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading...

Again, this happens with ripping or just backing up. I have cleaned the disc (will try that again) and have never had this problem on any other disc.

UPDATE: I cleaned the disc several times and tried backing it up. Nothing worked. Always got the same error message. Once, it got half way through the back up and then failed. I have requested a new copy from Amazon to see if a different disc works. Any help would be appreciated.