Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Trickyd-1

Chernobyl 4K UHD

Post by Trickyd-1 »

Dumps for EU-FR Disc set submitted. :D
DeadPixel

Re: Chernobyl 4K UHD

Post by DeadPixel »

Thanks for posting that, I was thinking I would have to import that from the US :D
Trickyd-1

Post by Trickyd-1 »

DeadPixel wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:24 am
Thanks for posting that, I was thinking I would have to import that from the US :D
Yep. I find it very strange that they didn’t release it in 4K in the UK. I had to pre-order from Amazon.fr
I noticed on my UK Blu-ray copy the episodes start with "Sky Presents, in association with HBO Miniseries" and on this UHD version they start with "HBO Miniseries presents, in association with Sky"
So probably Sky own the UK distribution rights and have decided not to move forward yet with a UHD BD version.

It’s decrypting now. Thanks Mike!
DeadPixel

Post by DeadPixel »

Yes, your right. To make it worse the current UK version of Chernobyl is terrible quality. I was about to import the US BD when I noticed the UHD was on the way so waited.

Really hope sky have nothing to do with the EU UHD from Amazon.fr!
Trickyd-1

Post by Trickyd-1 »

DeadPixel wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:25 pm
Yes, your right. To make it worse the current UK version of Chernobyl is terrible quality. I was about to import the US BD when I noticed the UHD was on the way so waited.

Really hope sky have nothing to do with the EU UHD from Amazon.fr!
The 4K version is a little sharper but I wouldn’t say the difference is night and day.
dakh2020

Post by dakh2020 »

I just received the EU-FR steel book version of UHD Chernobyl from Amazon France.

Disc 1 decrypts fine, but Disc 2 gives the "The volume key for this disc is unknown" error. I sent the dump file for disc 2.

Just wondered if anyone had any success with this EU-FR release?

Thanks.
simon_ldt

Post by simon_ldt »

I ripped the French steelbook release the other week (full disc backup on both discs successful).
timmo

Post by timmo »

Hi - just a curious question if I may as I now have this series on 4K. Do folks post both the 4K and blu-ray versions on your Plex server? Obviously I would like to save space where I can, and not bother with the blu-ray discs ... but just curious what most folks do when you buy media that contains both 4K and blu-ray discs inside. I guess it boils down to if remote streamers can still access/stream those 4K files if Plex can transcode them properly on the fly (mac mini i7 processor here if that matters). Thanks for any tips! (and sorry if I shouldn't post this here...)
Trickyd-1

Post by Trickyd-1 »

I only play on my PC or shield so I just save the 4k files on my NAS and keep the original discs locked away in a drawer.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Lots of 4k content is either HDR or Dolby Vision. The recent versions of Plex can do HDR to SDR tone mapping while transcoding. I think this only works on HDR, not on Dolby Vision.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/hdr-to ... e-mapping/

On MacOS, this only works via software on the CPU. I'm doubtful your Mini could do a 4K HDR -> 1080p SDR conversion in realtime since 4k transcoding is pretty hefty.

If you're really concerned about space, I'd say only mess with the 1080 stuff and leave the 4k alone.
timmo

Post by timmo »

Thanks guys - I just recently bought a Synology NAS (DS1621+ - my first NAS) and am impressed with how well it can do Plex. I’ve gained a lot more space now because of it, and might offload all or a portion of my libraries to it (still testing things). I can definitely notice video quality differences streaming locally the 4k vs. blu-ray versions of content. I also learned early on it’s not wise to convert 4k content via Handbrake and just stick with the original files. I pretty much just stick with converting blu-ray movies to save space (and I can’t notice a quality difference in doing this), but TV shows and everything else I just retain/use the original files to save my time.
Tang!

Post by Tang! »

Hi folks - I'm having a real brain-fart moment and I can't seem to find a list of the titles to keep from this US version of the miniseries.
All ripped well, but there are twice as many titles on the first disk than there should be, and as I said, I'm having a hard time finding a listing of which to keep and why.
I'm sure this is posted somewhere - I am just not finding it.

Can someone drop me a link?
audiobomb

Post by audiobomb »

I’m having trouble with my recent purchase of this series from Amazon. It is saying the keys are not available. I’m surprised because it sounded like people were having success and the keys should be available. I wonder if I got a newer release or something. I submitted the keys to the svq email. I’ll let you know if it works once the keys are available.
audiobomb

Post by audiobomb »

The keys were added and now the discs are working now.