What does MakeMKV do with HDR10+ metadata?

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Mr_Orange

What does MakeMKV do with HDR10+ metadata?

Post by Mr_Orange »

.... as per the subject.
SamuriHL

Re: What does MakeMKV do with HDR10+ metadata?

Post by SamuriHL »

It's embedded in the video track. It leaves it alone which is to say it's included.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mr_Orange

Post by Mr_Orange »

OK, thank you.

If I had a TV which supported HDR10+ (I don't so this is all hypothetical), it would display with the HDR10+ metadata without any additional processing beyond the initial rip by MakeMKV?
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

Yes, the metadata is self contained in the original HEVC stream.
Rumourd

Post by Rumourd »

Once you've ripped a DV or HDR10+ disc, and you wanna Handbrake it to a smaller size, how do you get the DV/HDR10+ layer to copy over to the new file?
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

Handbrake by itself can't do it all..
You need to extract both HDR10+ and DV (converted to profile 8 ), then feed them to x265.

I don't know if Handbrake supports custom options for x265.
For HDR10+ you need: https://x265.readthedocs.io/en/master/c ... hdr10-info
And for DV: https://x265.readthedocs.io/en/master/c ... vision-rpu
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

quietvoid wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:01 pm
Handbrake by itself can't do it all..
Do you think if you ever had time and it interested you, that you could make a tool/add it to yours to extract + insert HDR10+ metadata into an HEVC stream like your tool and others we have for DV/RPU metadata? Your tool already extracts HDR10+ to convert to DV IIRC, so just the insert back as HDR10+ metadata part?
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

staknhalo wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:08 pm
Do you think if you ever had time and it interested you, that you could make a tool/add it to yours to extract + insert HDR10+ metadata into an HEVC stream like your tool and others we have for DV/RPU metadata? Your tool already extracts HDR10+ to convert to DV IIRC, so just the insert back as HDR10+ metadata part?
Eventually, I just have no way to test anything HDR10+ related..
The process would be the same as for Dolby Vision, but I need to refactor things first.
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

quietvoid wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:18 pm
Eventually, I just have no way to test anything HDR10+ related..
The process would be the same as for Dolby Vision, but I need to refactor things first.
You're the best :)
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

staknhalo wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:08 pm
This is now in the newly renamed "hdr10plus_tool" (yes very original).
See here: https://github.com/quietvoid/hdr10plus_ ... /tag/1.0.0

Since I don't have an HDR10+ display, this needs testing.
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

quietvoid wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:36 pm

Awesome, thanks :)

I'll test it out and let you know how it goes as soon as I can, thanks again.
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

quietvoid wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:36 pm

Hey, played around with it - does not appear to be working right unfortunately (or maybe user error?).

I took the HDR10+ metadata from the first 5 mins of WW84 and exported to json and then applied it to the first 5 minutes of Annihilation's HDR10 only BL stream. Mediainfo does report it as HDR10+ and it kicks in HDR10+ mode on my Hisense - but I am noticing no scene changing/flashing going at all going on - which should be noticeable given the mismatched input files. It's apparently just playing in HDR10 only, but while being reported as/in HDR10+ mode - with none of metadata actually being used.

Now, I did get this error when making the video file with the tool, but I assumed it wasn't discarding all the metadata, just at the very end of the video - I should still have metadata/scene changing going on at the start/rest of the video.

Here is the json that was originally extracted along with the resulting file that was made if you wanna take peek at them: https://mega.nz/file/sbol0KQI#snrJiB6QC ... 8-ETxbGkH8
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

staknhalo wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:03 pm
Hey, played around with it - does not appear to be working right unfortunately (or maybe user error?).

I took the HDR10+ metadata from the first 5 mins of WW84 and exported to json and then applied it to the first 5 minutes of Annihilation's HDR10 only BL stream. Mediainfo does report it as HDR10+ and it kicks in HDR10+ mode on my Hisense - but I am noticing no scene changing/flashing going at all going on - which should be noticeable given the mismatched input files. It's apparently just playing in HDR10 only, but while being reported as/in HDR10+ mode - with none of metadata actually being used.

Now, I did get this error when making the video file with the tool, but I assumed it wasn't discarding all the metadata, just at the very end of the video - I should still have metadata/scene changing going on at the start/rest of the video.
Normally if the TV switches to HDR10+, the metadata should be used.
To me that makes it work.

I don't know if it would necessarily be flashing, though.
Depends on the metadata and if the video is brighter than your TV can display without tonemapping.

I know of this test video for HDR10+, if you want to try: http://ff.de/hdr10plus-metadata-test/
That should be showing a noticeable change.

In the meantime I might try using your JSON and turning it into Dolby Vision to see if it flashes for me.
edit: I'm seeing some slight changes around 0:55, 1:45, and 4:24. That's pretty much it.
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

quietvoid wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:32 pm
I know of this test video for HDR10+, if you want to try: http://ff.de/hdr10plus-metadata-test/
That should be showing a noticeable change.
Yes, that's showing what I was looking for, however...
quietvoid wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:32 pm
edit: I'm seeing some slight changes around 0:55, 1:45, and 4:24. That's pretty much it
change at 0:55 confirmed - it's subtle as hell and hard to see - I could only notice out of the entire scene the top part of the inside of the metal door/doorframe/whatever, reflection or something got dimmer. I was expecting an overall scene brighter/dimmer effect. I couldn't notice anything at the other two times.

So apologies, and thanks again :)