State of the art 4k movies from a technical view

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
ubuntuuser

State of the art 4k movies from a technical view

Post by ubuntuuser »

Maybe such a list exists already. I am looking for UHD / 4k movies which show the best technical quality (video and audio) at the moment.

I know there is https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 992#p95280, not sure what reference means, maybe this is what could be a filter for me. Not sure if the production date is a hint, There are so many upscaled 4k movies around. I am not so much interested in sci-fi, more in natural nature recordings, but this is 2nd, 1st goal is the best queality available the moment.
dcoke22

Re: State of the art 4k movies from a technical view

Post by dcoke22 »

Blade Runner 2049 (https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Blade-Ru ... ay/189774/) is worth considering.
ubuntuuser

Post by ubuntuuser »

Thank you all, I checked a lot of movies, seems hard to find a movie, which is not outsold, with natural scenes / landscapes. IMHO blurred fantasy scenes are not able to show the quality of a tv.

Blade Runner is on my candidate list as well as Braveheart and Ghostbusters, but not happy with them 100% as a test movie for a tv, at the moment I am ignoring audio, this will be a 2nd step with the movies I put in my list.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Not a movie, but all of the BBC nature documentaries in 4k are just amazing. Must haves in my opinion if you’re looking for demo material
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Perhaps The Revenant (https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Reve ... ay/147639/) then. I haven't seen this one in 4K, only 1080, but I read good things about it.
mjt5282

Post by mjt5282 »

The Revenant 4K UHD is what I was going to recommend. It was filmed by native 4K cameras, and the scenery and high PQ blew me away. Secondarily, Blade Runner 2049.
caleyd

Post by caleyd »

I would say Gemini Man at Native 4K and 60FPS is the best looking 4K movie I've seen. Only a couple of titles at 60 FPS.
The Revenant is also a good pick.
PaulCB

Post by PaulCB »

ubuntuuser wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:45 pm
Thank you all, I checked a lot of movies, seems hard to find a movie, which is not outsold, with natural scenes / landscapes. IMHO blurred fantasy scenes are not able to show the quality of a tv.

Blade Runner is on my candidate list as well as Braveheart and Ghostbusters, but not happy with them 100% as a test movie for a tv, at the moment I am ignoring audio, this will be a 2nd step with the movies I put in my list.
Note that while it is a great looking movie, Blade Runner is not a good technical demo in regards to HDR as it is one of the many that do "SDR in HDR container". It peaks at ~200nits which is how SDR is expanded within HDR without actually mastering it in HDR. All the 'creators intent' issues aside, if you want demo material that highlights HDR benefit, this one would not be a title to demo.

In my experience, the things that are really going to wow folks are those Planet Earth type UHD's. Anything that is real world without all the color grading and artificial aspects of most movies.
ubuntuuser

Post by ubuntuuser »

In the meantime I found "The Fourth Phase" (snowboard movie), not state of the art from a technical view, 23.9fps only, but maybe someone knows similar movies in 4k. It is not so artificial like the "blockbusters", there is a lot of nature in the movie.

Does anyone know if "The Fourth Phase" was filmed digitally or were some parts digitzed? Looks like that some scenes were taken with a "Go Pro".
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/A-Perfec ... ay/284848/

The BBC is about to release a new planet Earth documentary, A Perfect Planet. Hopefully it looks as good as people expect it too.
AngryVirginian

Post by AngryVirginian »

Lucy (2014) is the best looking disc in my 500+ 4K UHD collection. This is despite being one of the first 4K discs.
Seven World One Planet (BCC documentary) is also beautiful (especially the South America episode).
philb1701

Post by philb1701 »

If you want breath taking landscapes in a 4K UHD movie, give The Bourne Legacy a try. It has awesome LONG flyover shots of Alaska.
ubuntuuser

Post by ubuntuuser »

> If you want breath taking landscapes in a 4K UHD movie

That's exactly what I am looking for, thanks Phil. Any further suggestions are welcome!