Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:52 pm
Billycar11 wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:33 pm

Clean the disc
Clean the drive
Get BU40N
1. I've cleaned the disc.
2. Not sure how to do this.
3. I'm using a BU40N flashed to modded 1.03 firmware for LibreDrive.
What error are you getting time out on logical unit or hash errors
STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR is the main one I'm getting. I attached a debug log to my first post.
lfoust

Re: Game of Thrones UHD Complete Series 1-8 - No Decrypt Key yet

Post by lfoust »

Fubie wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:28 pm
Hi guys,

Once you have the files, do you rename them? If so how?

I noticed that the file names in no way line up with the episode names. What is the best way around this?

Thanks in advance.
You can use this listing as a guide on what episodes are on each disc and how to name them here: https://thediscdb.com/series/game-of-th ... lection-4k
Unfortunately, don't know of any way to automate this.
Vaire

Post by Vaire »

Have this set from Amazon (on my second set, had numerous bad discs in the first set). All discs are now backed up with makemkv, except Season 4 Disc 1, which is still giving:
"[...]
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Saved AACS dump file as C:\Users\MyUserName/.MakeMKV/MKB20_v66_Game_Of_Thrones_Season_4_Disc_1_989B.tgz
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc"

Disc fails to open with my brand new Pioneer BDR-212UBK (even though that drive was the only one I was able to successfully use to backup more than half of the GoT discs). Also fails in my flashed ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG WH16NS60. I have even put two of those drives in enclosures and tried the process using them as external USB drives on a different computer. It isn't the computer or the drives, seems that some of the newer sets are just insisting on using different volume keys :(

Sent the dump file to svq [at] [here].com
Any word on why this one disc is refusing to decrypt or an ETA on an update to the volume key list?
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

andyr wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:36 pm
el_pollo_hermano wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:57 pm
Just a further update. Some of these discs are VERY finicky to get a rip going, but when they do start they seem okay. Managed Seasons 5-7, and half of Season 4. Seasons 1 and 8 appear to be the same as the older releases so no need to rip those. Currently working on Season 2.

Edit: Note that when I say rip, I mean an encrypted backup ofcourse.
Couldn’t get anything other than s1 and s8 to read. All the others s2-s7 reporting unknown keys. Don’t understand how you got s5-s7 to read if the keys are unknown.
From the UHD FAQ (a worthwhile read):

I see a movie discussed in the forum, but MakeMKV won't open my disc.
There are multiple versions of UHDs for each movie (countries, retailers, rentals) and there may be multiple keys for even the same version, so it's possible that your particular disc isn't decrypted yet. Submit the dump file!

The same can apply to series discs, even within a set.
Vaire

Post by Vaire »

My thanks to the team at MakeMKV. Issues resolved with latest issue of the key file download. S4D1 of GoT (from Amazon) opens now.
You guys are really doing the lord's work, and it is because of your efforts that I am still giving Hollywood any money at all, because I get to own it on my terms.
As always, aside from buying the product, which I already did, if there is anything I can do for you -- let me know :)
Cannikin

Post by Cannikin »

Took two complete sets from Amazon but I finally got everything ripped!

I saw a dialog box on my Mac that I'd never seen before, saying that one the discs was blank! This was the OS itself, not MakeMKV.
sonnumber5

Post by sonnumber5 »

Been trying to rip from 2 box sets (initial order and replacement set) for the last week and a half. I've swapped drives between my Asus BW-16D1HT and LG WH16NS60 (both purchased from the fantastic jonghotti), tried speed changes, multiple cleanings/buffings and am now down to two episodes I can't manage to get to finish (S02E01 & S04E03).

For anyone keeping track of discs with issues:
  • First box set from Amazon had the following bad discs: S2D1,D3; S4D1; S5D3; S6D1
  • Second box set from Amazon resolved all but the following: S2D1; S4D1
It was interesting (read frustrating) that all of my discs with issues were top stacked discs, and remaining issues are with specific episodes between both sets. Not all problem discs had visible scratches, but all scratches present are radial as if dust had gotten between the stack and shipping caused the rotation scratch. The frustrating part of the remaining episodes I'm unable to rip is that each box set has one disc that has obvious visible scratches and the other does not. The scratched S02E01 (box set 1) and S04E01 (box set 2) discs only read 1.2GB and 250MB respectively before failing, the no-visible-scratch discs get to ~17GB and 26GB respectively.

Wondering if I should take the plunge on a BU40N, attempt plastic polishing, or try to get another set and risk all of my good discs since I'll likely have to return both sets at this point. Anyone else who's been dealing with this nightmare have any thoughts/recommendations?
GlacierIsland

Post by GlacierIsland »

sonnumber5 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:10 pm
Been trying to rip from 2 box sets (initial order and replacement set) for the last week and a half. I've swapped drives between my Asus BW-16D1HT and LG WH16NS60 (both purchased from the fantastic jonghotti), tried speed changes, multiple cleanings/buffings and am now down to two episodes I can't manage to get to finish (S02E01 & S04E03).

• First box set from Amazon had the following bad discs: S2D1,D3; S4D1; S5D3; S6D1
It was interesting (read frustrating) that all of my discs with issues were top stacked discs, and remaining issues are with specific episodes between both sets. Not all problem discs had visible scratches, but all scratches present are radial as if dust had gotten between the stack and shipping caused the rotation scratch. The frustrating part of the remaining episodes I'm unable to rip is that each box set has one disc that has obvious visible scratches and the other does not. The scratched S02E01 (box set 1) and S04E01 (box set 2) discs only read 1.2GB and 250MB respectively before failing, the no-visible-scratch discs get to ~17GB and 26GB respectively.

Wondering if I should take the plunge on a BU40N, attempt plastic polishing, or try to get another set and risk all of my good discs since I'll likely have to return both sets at this point. Anyone else who's been dealing with this nightmare have any thoughts/recommendations?

I just gave up and ended up using HBO Max as the source. S1D3, S3D1, and S5D3 were the corrupt discs for me. I used a BU40N.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

sonnumber5 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:10 pm

I'd be happy to LOAN you a slim drive to try with your problematic discs.
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
by96$

Post by by96$ »

I am just starting my non-steelbook Best Buy set with a BU40N drive (though I have a Pioneer drive on order as a back-up in case the other drive struggles with one or more discs). I am only interested in ripping the episodes and not the extras. Is there any advantage to ripping one episode at a time off each disc or just rip the two or three on the disc at the same time? If I chose three episodes on a disc at the outset, and the second one fails, will I still get the first episode?

Your stories almost made me not do this at all but I figured I would give it a try!! Thanks for any input!
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I personally ripped them all to iso first, then ripped each episode from the iso. Takes a bit longer and more work but overall less reading of each disc. Once the iso is made you can do whatever you want with it without having to worry about read errors.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

ARazorbacks

Post by ARazorbacks »

Chiming in to say I ran into issues with three GoT discs in my first UHD box set (Amazon, US). Two discs had changing errors (depending upon how much disc cleaning I did the errors changed from hash to read and back) for some/all of the tracks. The third disc simply wouldn’t load. I exchanged the box for another one and those three discs in the new box ripped immediately with no problems. Interestingly, the track orders and file sizes are different on the new discs.
by96$

Post by by96$ »

SamuriHL wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:03 pm
I personally ripped them all to iso first, then ripped each episode from the iso. Takes a bit longer and more work but overall less reading of each disc. Once the iso is made you can do whatever you want with it without having to worry about read errors.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the input. I did go the iso route with prior discs that had issues but don't remember off hand how to do it. I will keep that in mind for GOT as I run into issues.

I have had 100% success until just now. I am on Disc 9 (Season 3, Episode 2) and it failed, but I was able to get Episodes 1 and 3 off the disk. I am running Episode 2 again now. I am 1/3rd through the second attempt and so far, so good.
by96$

Post by by96$ »

ARazorbacks wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:50 pm
Chiming in to say I ran into issues with three GoT discs in my first UHD box set (Amazon, US). Two discs had changing errors (depending upon how much disc cleaning I did the errors changed from hash to read and back) for some/all of the tracks. The third disc simply wouldn’t load. I exchanged the box for another one and those three discs in the new box ripped immediately with no problems. Interestingly, the track orders and file sizes are different on the new discs.
I bought my set when they first came out, so I am long past my exchange period. I had lots of trouble with a few discs from the Star Wars UHD box set but ultimately, got ever single disc to rip with lots of cleaning and patience. I have also bought a second drive (Pioneer) that comes tomorrow just in case there is just a mismatch between by BU40N and one or more discs.

Thanks!!
by96$

Post by by96$ »

For anyone that knows, can I assume that as long as the output file size is increasing, the rip is working? Can I ignore the jumps in time remaining? Sometimes those changes make me nervous.