Game of Thrones UHD Complete Series 1-8 - No Decrypt Key yet

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
truthy

Re: Game of Thrones UHD Complete Series 1-8 - No Decrypt Key yet

Post by truthy »

Finished too. The later season discs were easier to read/detect :D
With English AC3+DTS and German ~ 2,05 TB

I converted the pgs/sup subtitles for the foreign language parts (Dothraki) to srt (english and german). Some I already uploaded on opensubtitles, but many only have a few lines so they won't let me upload. If anyone should need them, you can find them here: Dothraki-Srt
chenxiaolong

Post by chenxiaolong »

Finally finished ripping a couple days ago! Some stats for my rips:
  • 9 disks required "U2=-;U3=-" speed control settings (S5D4, S6D2, S6D3, S6D4, S7D1, S7D2, S8D2, S8D3, S8BonusD2)
  • 2 discs required "U2=8;U3=8" speed control settings (S4D3, S5D2)
  • 2 discs worked on my LG BU40N (DE 1.00), but not my ASUS BW-16D1HT (3.10 MK) (S8D1, S8BonusD1)
  • 2 discs were completely unreadable with both drives and had to be replaced (S1D1, S1D3)
  • The remaining 18 discs ripped fine the first time with makemkv 1.15.3's default speed control settings
jaymar

Post by jaymar »

I've spent quite a bit of time and have finally gotten this set down to 1 disc left. S5D4

I have tried the various speed settings in the previous post. I'm not clear those even do anything in 1.15.3, but anyway I did try them all. No dice.

The one thing I have not tried is to buy PowerISO which someone recommended in a previous post to ISO the disc and then scan the mounted ISO. Is there generalized good experience with that method? I'm happy to try it, but since it's a one-way cost path, I want to have pretty good confidence that's going to help. It seems like a "ignore read error" option would be nice in MakeMKV.
TheCrazyCanuck

Post by TheCrazyCanuck »

jaymar wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:32 pm
I've spent quite a bit of time and have finally gotten this set down to 1 disc left. S5D4

I have tried the various speed settings in the previous post. I'm not clear those even do anything in 1.15.3, but anyway I did try them all. No dice.

The one thing I have not tried is to buy PowerISO which someone recommended in a previous post to ISO the disc and then scan the mounted ISO. Is there generalized good experience with that method? I'm happy to try it, but since it's a one-way cost path, I want to have pretty good confidence that's going to help. It seems like a "ignore read error" option would be nice in MakeMKV.
My recommendation is if you bought the series from Amazon request a replacement and when it arrives try the new S5D4 and if that rips just swap the discs between sets and return the 'new' set back to them. If you only had one failing disc then consider yourself lucky, I went through 4 sets (2 at a time) before I managed to get a fully working set and out of all 4 sets there was more than 1 disc failing in 3 out of 4 sets (didn't test the last set much but I found a failing disc quickly).
Kevinicus

Post by Kevinicus »

Ugh, after the issues I had with season 8 last year (2 replacements to finally get episode 3), I was afraid of this.

Seasons 1-3 ripped perfectly with no problems, then Season 4 disc 1...errors. Tried in both of my drives and it failed. Haven't tried reducing drive speed or anything yet. Moving forward with S4 disc 2 for now.
4knewbie

Post by 4knewbie »

Has anybody compared the dolby vision and hdr10 versions ? I love dolby vision on my oled but making dv files for 70 episodes is a lot of work... So if it’s not that noticeable I’ll just go with regular hdr10 remux
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

What do you mean? Just rip mkv with 1.15.3 and you keep both.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

4knewbie

Post by 4knewbie »

I don’t have a shield tv pro so I have to go the old way of making dual layer mp4s that work on my lg tv
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Ah, you're going old school mp4's. Well, rip to MKV anyway and that way if you need convert them later you still can.
severalboxes

Post by severalboxes »

I see I'm not the only one having issues. So far ripping the GOT set has basically killed 2 out of 3 of my WH16NS60 drives. One of them is about 3 months old, the other is only 2 weeks old. I didn't have alot of issues reading discs, the drives just quit working suddenly.

I've reflashed them, taken them apart to clean, adjusted the tension on the disc motor clamp, and endlessly cursed them. The 3 month old drive worked a bit longer before quiting completely, although it seems to read dvds alright. The 2 week old drive still kinda works. It will sometimes read a disc, but if it does it throttles constantly and eventually settles on 2x. I think it will be dead shortly.

Just a wild theory but I wonder if the disc motor is overheating, possibly from too much tension. I think they are just flimsy and cheaply made. Just a word of warning, I loosened up the adjustment screws too much once and scratched the hell out of a disc, reminded me of the xbox360 when you tilted it. Instant coaster

I think I'll try the LG BU40N and see how it works.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I like my bu40n a lot. Been my go to drive for single disc ripping since I got it and hasn't given me any problems at all.
Kevinicus

Post by Kevinicus »

I ended up getting through the rest of seasons 4-7 with no issue. Season 8 I already had with the single season set.

I did episodes one at a time on S4 D1, and got the first episode fine. Unfortunately, the other 2 fail. Just two episodes on one disc is all I had a problem with, but that's still two episodes.
gil_schwartzman

Post by gil_schwartzman »

Figures, I make it all the way to the second disk in Season 8, and T03 wont rip. No visible issues with the disk, but cleaning doesn't help. Tried a full disk rip, no luck. Tried the AnyDVD suggestion mentioned in the thread, but that just gives me an error and AnyDVD won't open the disk. Are there any other solutions I missed? Using a WH16NS60 if that matters.

I bought this from Deep Discount, and am exactly one day beyond their exchange window. I don't know how their customer service is, but I fear I'm not in for the same ease of exchange that the folks who purchased on Amazon have.
AngryVirginian

Post by AngryVirginian »

gil_schwartzman wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:38 pm
Figures, I make it all the way to the second disk in Season 8, and T03 wont rip. No visible issues with the disk, but cleaning doesn't help. Tried a full disk rip, no luck. Tried the AnyDVD suggestion mentioned in the thread, but that just gives me an error and AnyDVD won't open the disk. Are there any other solutions I missed? Using a WH16NS60 if that matters.

I bought this from Deep Discount, and am exactly one day beyond their exchange window. I don't know how their customer service is, but I fear I'm not in for the same ease of exchange that the folks who purchased on Amazon have.
I sent you a private message.
Digital moe

Post by Digital moe »

Reading this sounds like I have a lot of fun ahead of me, just got my Steelbox yesterday, S1D1 no problem, S1D2 needs wiping down with a microfiber cloth. S1D3 oh dear need several cleaning attempts to even register in the drive. There is a long road ahead which is seriously making me question this hobby.