Game of Thrones UHD Complete Series 1-8 - No Decrypt Key yet

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Kevinicus

Re: Game of Thrones UHD Complete Series 1-8 - No Decrypt Key yet

Post by Kevinicus »

gil_schwartzman wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:38 pm
Figures, I make it all the way to the second disk in Season 8, and T03 wont rip. No visible issues with the disk, but cleaning doesn't help. Tried a full disk rip, no luck. Tried the AnyDVD suggestion mentioned in the thread, but that just gives me an error and AnyDVD won't open the disk. Are there any other solutions I missed? Using a WH16NS60 if that matters.

I bought this from Deep Discount, and am exactly one day beyond their exchange window. I don't know how their customer service is, but I fear I'm not in for the same ease of exchange that the folks who purchased on Amazon have.
I also got mine from Deep Discount, and just contacted them about the issue a few days ago. I imagine I was a few days passed 30 (shipped 11/8, I contacted them 12/13). They sent me a return label to ship it back. So, they are replacing it. Unfortunately, they're not sending a new order until after they get it back, so I won't be able to keep the good discs.

When I got season 8 when it was by itself last year, I went through 3 sets before I got episode 3 to work.
Tw3ak

Post by Tw3ak »

I got the steelbox set from best buy and had no issues until season 4 disc 2, Now it keeps throwing errors on episode 5 and 6 during rip but episode 4 finishes fine.
gil_schwartzman

Post by gil_schwartzman »

Kevinicus wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:57 pm
gil_schwartzman wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:38 pm
Figures, I make it all the way to the second disk in Season 8, and T03 wont rip. No visible issues with the disk, but cleaning doesn't help. Tried a full disk rip, no luck. Tried the AnyDVD suggestion mentioned in the thread, but that just gives me an error and AnyDVD won't open the disk. Are there any other solutions I missed? Using a WH16NS60 if that matters.

I bought this from Deep Discount, and am exactly one day beyond their exchange window. I don't know how their customer service is, but I fear I'm not in for the same ease of exchange that the folks who purchased on Amazon have.
I also got mine from Deep Discount, and just contacted them about the issue a few days ago. I imagine I was a few days passed 30 (shipped 11/8, I contacted them 12/13). They sent me a return label to ship it back. So, they are replacing it. Unfortunately, they're not sending a new order until after they get it back, so I won't be able to keep the good discs.

When I got season 8 when it was by itself last year, I went through 3 sets before I got episode 3 to work.
Yeah, same here, they did offer to exchange and sent a pre-paid label.

That said, I'm really on the fence. 73 episodes and only one would not rip. Based on this thread, it sounds like a lot of people had it much worse. Without the ability to have both sets at the same time and just replace the problem disk, I risk getting a much worse set should I ever have to re-rip them.
Tw3ak

Post by Tw3ak »

I am not convinced the discs are actually bad, I have had 1 episode so far not rip and throw errors ( Season 4 disc 2 episode 2 ) and when i click on the link that directs you to makemkv errors page it says the ONLY explanation for read errors is a bad disc or bad drive and that it isn't a issue with makemkv, Yet the disc spins up and reads fine at startup just fails on 1 episode out of the 3 on the disc the other 2 rip fine and the 3rd gets to about 98% done and throws errors. And i can put the disc in my Sony ultra hd player on my tv and the disc loads and plays all episodes fine. If the discs were actually bad i would think my player would have issues with playback as well wouldn't it?

I mean i didn't get mine from amazon or deep discount my set is the steelbook collection exclusively to best buy but i bet other then the steelbooks the discs are all probably made from same place. I still think something else is going on because if i mess with the drive speeds and letters for uhd single and double sided ect and try ripping same episode again it still fails but throws totally different errors not read errors so i still think it is just a issue with some episodes with makemkv. I mean i'm no expert but i have ripped literally thousands of discs in my lifetime and usually if a disc is bad it shouldn't play on other drives it should be bad on anything you use to play it.
sgtblackice

Post by sgtblackice »

I have had all kinds of problems trying to rip this collection. I've cleaned discs, replaced disc..... the works. I've debated giving up the idea of watching this via plex and instead having to watch direct off disc like it's 2001.
Today I had a small breakthrough. I don't know why but when I downgraded my drive to 3.02 (BW-16D1HT) I can now read and backup without any issues. I only did this as a test because I saw in this thread someone talking about downgrading for read speed but hey.. it works and I thought I would share.
Tw3ak

Post by Tw3ak »

I finally finished my rips out of all 8 seasons i only had 1 episode not work which was season 4 disc 2 episode 2 other then that i guess i have been quite fortunate compared to others because the rest of the set ripped perfectly without changing any settings on makemkv just running it default on everything.
Digital moe

Post by Digital moe »

I have to stop with the ripping as I was running into a lot of issues where the discs need cleaning (a lot) and found my hand around the thumb area was starting to hurt a lot (cue all the masturbation jokes) I tried cleaning using my left thumb but I just can't get a firm a rub down. I also had one disc so far no matter how much I cleaned it or sprayed cleaning alcohol on it would not load the table of contents.

Hopefully my hand will feel a lot batter in a few days and I can start again. :lol:
sgtblackice

Post by sgtblackice »

sgtblackice wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:17 pm
I have had all kinds of problems trying to rip this collection. I've cleaned discs, replaced disc..... the works. I've debated giving up the idea of watching this via plex and instead having to watch direct off disc like it's 2001.
Today I had a small breakthrough. I don't know why but when I downgraded my drive to 3.02 (BW-16D1HT) I can now read and backup without any issues. I only did this as a test because I saw in this thread someone talking about downgrading for read speed but hey.. it works and I thought I would share.
Ok so quick update, the firmware on the drive seems to be a red herring as with enough cleaning I've been able to reliably get another two seasons done on the MK firmware 3.10.
I don't know what it is able these triple-layer UHD disks but they require a couple of minutes of good cleaning to read correctly without error.
VarHD

Post by VarHD »

It is done.

GoT_rip.png
GoT_rip.png (56.18 KiB) Viewed 23216 times

Credit goes to everyone here who recommended the LG BU40N drive. It had zero "real" issues (such as read errors) and only 2-3 issues where the disc couldn't be mounted and it said "no disc", but reconnecting the drive helped in those cases. This drive is miraculous. I don't have a laptop with a slot for a drive so I bought the cheapest $4 USB->MiniSATA cable for it and it worked even for flashing the firmware. Yes, it sounds like the drive is going to take off because it just sits on top of the PC case with no enclosure so you can really hear the motor work, but it just reads everything. I bet I could insert a slice of cheese into it and it would read it ;)

On the other hand, my other "main" drive, the ASUS BW-16D1HT outright refused to read almost all the 3-layered discs with 1 or 2 exceptions. It just failed to mount them and made sounds that would justify calling an exorcist. Without the LG drive, it would probably take me weeks to rip all the discs waiting for the ASUS to have a "good day" when it can read one or two 3-layer discs and then go back to summoning Satan with all the weird noises.

Long story short, I strongly recommend the LG BU40N drive. If you don't have it and you often rip tripple-layered UHD discs, you'll love it.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

VarHD wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:40 pm

On the other hand, my other "main" drive, the ASUS BW-16D1HT outright refused to read almost all the 3-layered discs with 1 or 2 exceptions. It just failed to mount them and made sounds that would justify calling an exorcist. Without the LG drive, it would probably take me weeks to rip all the discs waiting for the ASUS to have a "good day" when it can read one or two 3-layer discs and then go back to summoning Satan with all the weird noises.

Long story short, I strongly recommend the LG BU40N drive. If you don't have it and you often rip tripple-layered UHD discs, you'll love it.
nice im glad the word is spreading also here is a nice case you can put it in https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1
or in your pc case: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... QTUY&psc=1
that's why i stopped selling all other drives but the BU40N
i felt like i was asus and lgs quality control on the desktop drives.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
sgtblackice

Post by sgtblackice »

I'm now on my third complete replacement set from Amazon due to scratches on the discs from the factory. I now have all seasons ripped excluding season 5 disc 2 which again has a small scratch that is preventing it from being completely read. The same scratch location as on the previous set so appears to be a manufacturing issue.

I now have a fourth replacement set coming within the next week, if that doesn't complete my collection in working form I'm going to give up, I'm beyond fed up with the quality of this collection.

I've even gone as far as to buy new drives, replace cables, use a usb enclosure on another pc to prove the disc is at fault. I'm about $300 deep in replacement hardware to rip this collection.

I've had a complete nightmare trying to get some discs to read. I've had to use everything from a clean cloth to isopropyl alcohol to really clean the discs before they'll read. Sadly no matter what I do cleaning can't repair surface damage caused at the factory.

Anyone willing to help me with my S5D2 issue please PM me.
Bluntman

Post by Bluntman »

sgtblackice wrote:I'm now on my third complete replacement set from Amazon due to scratches on the discs from the factory. I now have all seasons ripped excluding season 5 disc 2 which again has a small scratch that is preventing it from being completely read. The same scratch location as on the previous set so appears to be a manufacturing issue.

I now have a fourth replacement set coming within the next week, if that doesn't complete my collection in working form I'm going to give up, I'm beyond fed up with the quality of this collection.

I've even gone as far as to buy new drives, replace cables, use a usb enclosure on another pc to prove the disc is at fault. I'm about $300 deep in replacement hardware to rip this collection.

I've had a complete nightmare trying to get some discs to read. I've had to use everything from a clean cloth to isopropyl alcohol to really clean the discs before they'll read. Sadly no matter what I do cleaning can't repair surface damage caused at the factory.

Anyone willing to help me with my S5D2 issue please PM me.

I want to make this very clear. I do not advocate piracy at all. It if you physically do own the set. And one disc is being elusive and hard to rip. I’d acquire it from the internet.

That isn’t piracy. That’s getting yourself a working backup.

I only support backing up your own media. But when the discs themselves are faulty. I do support other means of attaining your backups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
sgtblackice

Post by sgtblackice »

sorry to confirm, I'm not asking for any form of piracy, I physically buy all my films, mainly for the bitrate but also so support the producers. If I can play my part in helping keep physical media around for a bit longer great or until Apply TV is true bitrate.

In my previous post, I was more looking for suggestions on where to buy a good set from. But sure if someone wants me to pay to ship their working disc to me so I can watch it then sure I'll pay the shipping and ship it in a strong case and insure it.

There is no law preventing you from lending a disc to someone last I checked, but personally, I'll sleep fine knowing that I also own the item and have a pretty serious investment in GOT stuff in my house.

I'm open to all options so that I can legally watch the complete show end to end. So far I'm now expecting my fourth replacement set which is driving me nuts.

Out of all the discs I'm only unable to rip S5D2, I'm so close :)
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

I've not read every response but I am aware of issues with these disc. Issues iv'e never heard of like a rip of one of these failing and leaving the drive unable to read ANY further discs put in the drive?
That's crazy. If anyone has had problems like that or have other issues feel free to email me I am tracking these and will be attempting to get answers from the manufactures (I said attempting, settle down it's all good).
So if you've got solid data points that point to a hardware problem please let me know my contact info in my signature.
Thanks so much,
Alex
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
sgtblackice

Post by sgtblackice »

Forth set lucky! I have now completed the complete rip! only 8 weeks of messing around.