Back to the Future won't read on my ASUS drive

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
ZANTHERA

Re: Back to the Future won't read on my ASUS drive

Post by ZANTHERA »

kurayamino wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:57 am
This isn't a firmware or drive problem. There is a thin film on the bottom of the discs left over from the manufacturing process which causes these read errors. I put some 99% isopropyl alcohol on soft toilet paper and carefully but firmly wiped across the bottom of the discs. After the alcohol evaporated I wiped them down again using a microfiber cloth to remove any residue from the alcohol.

All three discs worked perfectly afterwards.
Looks like you're bang on saying this, I tried transferring the first disc and it wouldn't work but then I saw your post and used 99% iso alcohol to gently clean the bottom with a new microfibre cloth and then wiped it again with a clean bit to get it totally clean, my drive then opened and transferred it perfectly fine!

I've just done the exact same thing with the disc for Part II, I tried it first straight out of the case but it would just loop attempting to read it for ages and get nowhere, I take it out, do the same thing with the iso alcohol, put it back in and it read it perfectly fine the second time round.

My set is the regular UK digipack boxset from amazon which they also do at Zavvi, my drive is an ASUS BC-12D2HT version 3.11 and I'm using MakeMKV version 1.15.3 with no settings changed.
Digital moe

Post by Digital moe »

kurayamino wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:57 am
This isn't a firmware or drive problem. There is a thin film on the bottom of the discs left over from the manufacturing process which causes these read errors. I put some 99% isopropyl alcohol on soft toilet paper and carefully but firmly wiped across the bottom of the discs. After the alcohol evaporated I wiped them down again using a microfiber cloth to remove any residue from the alcohol.

All three discs worked perfectly afterwards.
I have had so many problems with part 2 and 3, I was about to return the set for a replacement having already tried cleaning them.

So decided to give this method a go, first time still no dice my drive sounds like it is grinding, did it a second time, this time just left the isopropyl on the disc for 20 minutes and then really gave it a good buffing with a microfiber cloth. Honestly I did it so much I was thinking this is how you break a disc but windows has now actually recognised the disc and the drive is almost silent. Hopefully the rip completes now.

Fingers crossed I can do the same with 3. But I can not recommend this post enough.

Edit: Part 2 successfully ripped and did the same to Part 3 and that is now running nice and silent in my drive as well.

Edit 2: And Part 3 done as well.
CudaCores

Post by CudaCores »

I had the exact same issues with my boxset today, however after getting some super soft toilet paper and gently cleaning with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol, they are reading and backing up just fine.
Bluntman

Post by Bluntman »

Guess I should be thankful. My 3 movies ripped in 4K first try with my asus on 3.02 with full speed enabled. Think I saw 11.6x at one point. Either way I’m saddened to hear people are having such issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Digital moe

Post by Digital moe »

Man just want to say, thanks to the advice on this thread I have now been able to rip a bunch of discs in my collection that would just fail, not get recognised or produce some kind of error. I have managed to get all of those ripped over the last few days. Now feeling a bit better about having the Game of Thrones boxset on preorder. Was starting to think that was going to be a nightmare.
Merlyn6175

Post by Merlyn6175 »

Just ripped BTTF 1 & 2 using BW-16D1HT Revision: 3.02 with MakeMKVv1.15.3 using a trick that has worked every time with 3 layer discs.

Inserted BTTF 1, drive didn't want to know.(seeking and clicking noise)
removed Power & SATA to drive with disc still in (have an open case PC)
wait 20 seconds insert SATA then Power.
and boom drive reads disc and windows shows disc.
load MakeMKV and Disc ripped as normal

BTTF 2 I had to do it twice as MakeMKV got stuck on the CER process and drive started its seeking and clicking,
but ripped fine. once re-powered

this works for me, maybe it will help someone else.
VarHD

Post by VarHD »

Does anyone here who reported issues with any of those 3 discs also own an "official" UHD drive? If so, have you tested it there?

I'm just curious if this is a general issue with all UHD-friendly drives or a general issue with some lower quality discs... and yes, I understand that a regular Blu-ray player can play a movie even from a slightly damaged discs and a rip requires a complete correct reading, but when the issue is already at the mounting point where our drives can't even recognize the disc, then I'd love to hear if those very same discs can be mounted/recognized by an "official" drive without issues, without any cleaning and in multiple attempts (to exclude the possibility that it worked the same "one time" which can also happen with a friendly drive.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

The answer is no. Go look at our game of thrones thread. You'll see how big this problem really is. I have 3 drives on ns60 firmware, 2 of which are actual ns60 drives. I've locked them to 2x using speed control which is how I finally got bttf ripped. Disc 1 took me 5 tries. GoT I've been at for days now and only have 3 seasons ripped successfully. With 3 drives. S4D1 won't rip in any of my drives. And my usb connected drive stopped reading uhd completely. And that was the drive I had the most success with. I've ordered a bu40n to see how that goes and it's currently the drive recommended most by drive sellers. But we'll see how that goes. I'm not super hopeful.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Trickyd-1

Post by Trickyd-1 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:40 pm
The answer is no. Go look at our game of thrones thread. You'll see how big this problem really is. I have 3 drives on ns60 firmware, 2 of which are actual ns60 drives. I've locked them to 2x using speed control which is how I finally got bttf ripped. Disc 1 took me 5 tries. GoT I've been at for days now and only have 3 seasons ripped successfully. With 3 drives. S4D1 won't rip in any of my drives. And my usb connected drive stopped reading uhd completely. And that was the drive I had the most success with. I've ordered a bu40n to see how that goes and it's currently the drive recommended most by drive sellers. But we'll see how that goes. I'm not super hopeful.

Have you tried temporarily downgrading the firmware on your none genuine NS60 drive to say BH16NS55 1.02 none MK firmware? I’ve had success with some discs this way and other discs on the NS60 firmware.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I haven't had a lot of luck changing firmware and getting the drive to read any different than the firmware that was on it.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

SamuriHL wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:50 pm
The quality of these discs SUCK! It took me 5 tries to get a successful rip of disc 1 on one of my NS60 1.00 drives. My other 2 drives (my original NS60 and an ASUS BW16D-1HT flashed to NS60 1.00) couldn't even see the disc much less read it. This is happening more and more lately. I had to use dawn soap to wash this one and then lock the drive to 2x with speed control to finally get a decent rip from it.
They seem to be getting worse and worse that's for sure.
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I'm certainly not impressed.
Unibrowser

Post by Unibrowser »

riprunn wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:11 pm
ASUS BW-16D1HT running the 3.02 firmware. I've been ripping UHD disks for a while with this drive.

The drive doesn't see the disc at all. Make MKV will show that's trying to load a disc, and then eventually just says no disc inserted. This is also on the OS side as well.

BttF 3 reads just fine. It shows up at the OS level and in Make MKV.

It has not been flashed to any other firmware since I purchased it and did the Flash down to the friendly version.

Drive Information
OS device name: E:
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1HT
Revision: 3.02
Serial number: KEHI6JE4555
Firmware date: 2117-11-24 14:13
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 3.02
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

No disc inserted
Try the 3.10MK firmware you can find on here. That's what im using on my Asus BW-16D1HT and it solved alot of issues(drive sleep mode where it locks up and makes the grinding noise you are describing). But I currently have 3 out of my 100 4K discs that still wont rip, they are likely bad discs. Not sure
This is the way
bobby121418

Post by bobby121418 »

SamuriHL wrote:

Hi,
I have the same issues with BTTF. Can you please say how you locked the speed to x2?

Thanks
Bluntman

Post by Bluntman »

bobby121418 wrote:
SamuriHL wrote:

Hi,
I have the same issues with BTTF. Can you please say how you locked the speed to x2?

Thanks
It’s called speed control. Google it and youll have your answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro