Lord of the Rings + The Hobbit 4K (Finally!)

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
TheBum

Re: Lord of the Rings + The Hobbit 4K (Finally!)

Post by TheBum »

I managed to get Two Towers ripped without any issues.

Is there no English DTS track on the Extended version? I see DTS tracks for several other languages.
Jobber72

Post by Jobber72 »

sonnumber5 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:12 pm
My Fellowship Extended Part 1 disc seems to have some kind of defect preventing read past the first 160MB on disc. Nothing visible to my eye. Hobbit 1-3 ripped fine, Two Towers is fine so far. Frustrating.
As Mike has pointed out a few times already, new discs often have an oily film on them which is invisible to the naked eye. Cleaning your discs with mild soap and some water will most likely fix your problem. (the game of thrones discs had the same problem)
touche112

Post by touche112 »

After cleaning I'm getting this on my Fellowship D1:

Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID FIELD IN CDB' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00073.m2ts' at offset '395378688'
sonnumber5

Post by sonnumber5 »

Jobber72 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:40 am
sonnumber5 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:12 pm
My Fellowship Extended Part 1 disc seems to have some kind of defect preventing read past the first 160MB on disc. Nothing visible to my eye. Hobbit 1-3 ripped fine, Two Towers is fine so far. Frustrating.
As Mike has pointed out a few times already, new discs often have an oily film on them which is invisible to the naked eye. Cleaning your discs with mild soap and some water will most likely fix your problem. (the game of thrones discs had the same problem)
Yeah, I went through the full cleaning regimen on all three discs I've had trouble with and have had no change other than the file size of the failed rip varying +/- 10MB. Also to clarify, each of the three discs that are failing have had minimum ~20 attempts each, and I'm lucky the failure hits within the first minute of the rip vs halfway through.

As a last-ditch I'm buying a new UHD drive from @jonghotti viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17829 (been needing a spare anyway) just in case mine is on its way out and will see if they can read in the new one before returning the set.
bjaurelio

Post by bjaurelio »

avernar wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:35 am
Trickyd-1 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:51 pm
Yes, but the audio is still fading out into the black screen so you will end up with an abrupt jump on the audio. Especially on the two towers.
I only removed about 4 seconds from the end of each part 1 and left a little of the fade to black to avoid cutting off the audio. The numbers I used are 151993, 153331 and 183566. Still did 46 for part 2.

This way it looks like a normal fade to black and not a did my Plex server just die? :D
Despite testing earlier, when we had family over last night, Plex would not play anything from the pt 2 file even though it recognized the chapters. After a bit of fiddling around and simply moving the pt 1 file out of the folder, I was able to get pt 2 to play. Today I'm starting the process of combining to a single file. Thanks for providing your frame numbers to keep the audio fade but remove silent black screen.
Pmaw10

Post by Pmaw10 »

Anyone have issues playing LOTR rips with the modded ExoPlayer in Kodi? Using the default player it works fine. I get HDR10. But when I try ExoPlayer it doesn't play. It doesn't even give me an error, it's just a blank screen.
Brescio

Post by Brescio »

Hello, The UHD of LOTR 3: the return of the king only the theatrical version says the keys is unknown :oops: :oops: the disc Is the Italian version
Thank you
Swaps

Post by Swaps »

These discs drove me mad trying to get the rips completed. I ended up buying two sets of LOTR. I put all the bad discs in one set, and will return it.
gensplejs

Post by gensplejs »

Sooo. I just got the nordic version of the LOTR 4k box set and MakeMKV can't decode them.
Where do i send/post the .tzg files that makeMkv spits out?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The TGZ file gets sent to svq@makemkv.com for analysis. Usually, within a few days, you'll be able to rip the disk.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
bjaurelio

Post by bjaurelio »

I just started appending my files. For some reason, Plex does not recognize any chapters in the second half of the movie. When I look at the file through mediainfo, it shows the chapter numbers restarting. Is there a method for getting the chapters to continue in sequential order?
Cannikin

Post by Cannikin »

bjaurelio wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:48 am
I just started appending my files. For some reason, Plex does not recognize any chapters in the second half of the movie. When I look at the file through mediainfo, it shows the chapter numbers restarting. Is there a method for getting the chapters to continue in sequential order?
There's a chapter editor in MKVToolNix:

That's a lot of damn chapters though, almost 80? Is it like that if you put the disc in a player? I wonder if the old blurays had that many chapters...I'm thinking of wiping them out and putting in a more reasonable number, like 20-30.
gensplejs

Post by gensplejs »

Woodstock wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:20 am
The TGZ file gets sent to svq@makemkv.com for analysis. Usually, within a few days, you'll be able to rip the disk.
Thanks.
I just sent the files and started doing a backup of the disks.
Hoping there will be an update soon :-)
gensplejs

Post by gensplejs »

Wooohoooo... The nordic version can decode now. :-)
touche112

Post by touche112 »

Finally got Fellowship Disc 1 to rip. It wouldn't work in my ASUS or LG 5.25" drives, but my slimline BU40N read it with no issues.