Lord of the Rings + The Hobbit 4K (Finally!)

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
adam42

Re: Lord of the Rings + The Hobbit 4K (Finally!)

Post by adam42 »

oh no, newbie kills longest running thread on forum :oops: :oops: :oops:
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

adam42 wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:08 pm
oh no, newbie kills longest running thread on forum
I take it you haven't seen the Dolby Vision topic. Or the UHD drive topics.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

adam42 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:37 pm
makemkv has made the English lang subtitle track on by default, which puts subtitles all the way the film, even while they are speaking English - sorry, I mean Common Tongue.

The 2nd subtitle track should be on by default, because it provides English subtitles only for the Elven dialogue. That is how the film on the DVD plays.

Can I instruct makemkv to do that instead of its own thing?
If you have Expert Mode enabled in MakeMKV you can twiddle the field values that MakeMKV will put into the resulting .mkv file. However, a tool like MKVPropEdit (part of MKVToolNix https://mkvtoolnix.download) is a handy tool for modifying field values after the fact.
adam42

Post by adam42 »

Thanks v. much - it's easy when you know where to look!
adam42

Post by adam42 »

I just made a perfect rip of the Fellowship of the Ring with subtitles for Elven on by default, but now I discover that neither the Two Towers nor the Return of the King have separate Elven subtitle tracks. I've got the extended edition trilogy, Europe zone, English-only DVDs.

Is this true for anyone else? I think I might have bought a bad set.
Toby2k

Post by Toby2k »

all three parts have a separate subtitle track for the permanent subtitles (elven, orks etc)
Jytra

Post by Jytra »

wurselum wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:55 pm
Hey,

I have some problems to save my extended Version of "The Return of the King" german version part 2.

I got always a fatal error.

Is this a known error?
You're not the only one with this issue. I just ran into it recently. For some reason the second it gets to that segment the whole program locks up for me. Only disc out of the whole set that won't rip for me.
Lost Dog

Post by Lost Dog »

Raising this thread from the dead...

Finally picked up LOR Extended 4k from Amazon US. Opened it up and one of the disks (Return of the King Disk 1) had popped off the center hub and was sliding around the case.

Started the ripping process and full disk backup has worked on all but two disks.

Two Towers Disk 1 - Gets about half way through then I get SCSI errors and the reading stops. I've tried ripping only the main feature and the same thing happens. I've cleaned the disk and am trying again (as I type this).

Return of the King Disk 1 - No surprise here after finding it sliding around. The disk won't even read. The drive just tries over and over and over and finally gives up. No disk is recognized as being in the drive. I've tried cleaning it but I did find a small (~5mm) scratch on the disk. I've rebooted, powered off and also tried booting in to Windows (I'm on Linux) but no success...

Looks like I have an exchange in my future.
Lost Dog

Post by Lost Dog »

Update on this....

Got my replacement today. Just ripped The Two Towers Disk 1 with no issue at all :D . That seemed to be a problem with the original disk I received.

Still have an issue with Return of the King Disk 1 however... My drive does not even mount it. Both disks have had the same issue. At this point I think it's my WH16NS40 that can't read something about how ROTK D1 is mastered.

Can anyone think of any "tricks" to try and get it to read? Different firmware? Speeds? Here's my info:

Code: Select all

Drive Information
OS device name: /dev/sr0
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WH16NS40
Revision: 1.03
Serial number: (removed)
Firmware date: 2117-11-21 16:53
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.03
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Lost Dog wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:57 pm
Still have an issue with Return of the King Disk 1 however... My drive does not even mount it. Both disks have had the same issue. At this point I think it's my WH16NS40 that can't read something about how ROTK D1 is mastered.

Can anyone think of any "tricks" to try and get it to read? Different firmware? Speeds? Here's my info:
Did you try cleaning the disc a couple times? Do you have another drive you can try? In my experience, different firmware than the recommended firmware for the drive only makes things worse.
Lost Dog

Post by Lost Dog »

dcoke22 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:03 pm

Did you try cleaning the disc a couple times? Do you have another drive you can try? In my experience, different firmware than the recommended firmware for the drive only makes things worse.
Yeah, I tried cleaning it but I don't think that's what finally worked. After cleaning I rebooted and gave it a try but still had the same issue. What finally was successful was to have the disk in the drive and powering off, unplugging power, letting the computer sit for a while then powering on. The disk finally loaded and I was able to get a backup. No clue what aspect of the voodoo worked but it finally read.
dooferorg

Post by dooferorg »

Lord of the Rings Two Towers Discs 2 .. this one is a clusterf ..

Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT PRESENT' occurred while issuing SCSI command A40..0020..0FF to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom2'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT PRESENT' occurred while issuing SCSI command A40..002000800 to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom2'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT ESTABLISHED' occurred while issuing SCSI command AD010..080002400 to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom2'
Can't read AACS VID from disc - most likely current AACS host certificate is revoked by your drive
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Hash check failed for file 00021.m2ts at offset 190464, file is corrupt.
Hash check failed for file 00021.m2ts at offset 387072, file is corrupt.
Really not sure about this 'AACS host certificate' thing.

The WH16NS60 threw its hands up almost immediate, the BU40N struggled valiantly through it and all files came out 'corrupt' according to hash checks. Eventually I told it to just stop. Really not sure what's going on.

This is the *second* set of discs. The other two extended movies ripped fine. The second set's discs 1 of Two towers actually got a good backup first try. The second disc on both sets is a complete loss so far. Going to try the 'Roy' thing of turning it all off and on again. We'll see.

Edit: Yea, that didn't work .. getting piles of these errors from the get-go reading the .cer files:

Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID FIELD IN CDB' occurred while issuing SCSI command A40..0020..07F to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom1'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID FIELD IN CDB' occurred while issuing SCSI command A30..0020..0BF to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom1'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID FIELD IN CDB' occurred while issuing SCSI command A40..0020..0BF to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom1'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID FIELD IN CDB' occurred while issuing SCSI command A30..0020..0FF to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom1'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:INVALID FIELD IN CDB' occurred while issuing SCSI command A40..0020..0FF to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom1'
guessing that's why it's complaining of an invalid certificate because it's all unreadable.. Hmm.. maybe time to get a 3rd set on order.
Lost Dog

Post by Lost Dog »

Yeah, the joys of ripping this set...

I finally got all the extended ripped. I did a full disk backup for all of them just to be safe. One of the ROTK disks would not even be seen by the drive most times. A total power down and starting with the disk in the drive got it to load ONCE and I made a successful rip of that.

I didn't bother with the non-extended so at this point I'm good to go. Now I need to clear ~12 hours out of my schedule to watch them :D
dooferorg

Post by dooferorg »

From my original set disc 2 does better but still has an error on file 00073.m2ts (the big 29GB one) .. really not sure why. It does this on both the drives.

The SHA1 I get from my resulting dump of the 00073.m2ts file is:

6740e0b97dc9f9056dc17927f16d84475e693871  00073.m2ts
can I ask if that matches anyone else's?

Maybe I'll try transcoding it to see if it works before I order yet another set.
Lost Dog

Post by Lost Dog »

dooferorg wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:49 pm
From my original set disc 2 does better but still has an error on file 00073.m2ts (the big 29GB one) .. really not sure why. It does this on both the drives.

The SHA1 I get from my resulting dump of the 00073.m2ts file is:

6740e0b97dc9f9056dc17927f16d84475e693871  00073.m2ts
can I ask if that matches anyone else's?

Maybe I'll try transcoding it to see if it works before I order yet another set.
My 00073.m2ts is 79.5 GB!

b32c0ef13803c1fada4344e0f46893bcbf1e9fcb  00073.m2ts