Lord of the Rings + The Hobbit 4K (Finally!)

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
wurselum

Re: Lord of the Rings + The Hobbit 4K (Finally!)

Post by wurselum »

Regarding my initial post.

It failed always with my Mac and macOS 11.2.3

With my other Mac and macOS 10.15.7 it works :)
Draggon

Post by Draggon »

I received the UHD LotR trilogy from Amazon this past Wednesday. I successfully ripped all Extended Edition discs (although Disc 1 of FotR never exceeded 2.0x while ripping) except for Part 1 of RotK. After several retries and multiple cleaning, I examined the disc a little closer with a very (very) bright flashlight and found a small crack on the outside edge of the disk that went all the way through. With the light, I could also see where it propogated most of the way to the center, but wasn't a full penetration crack except near the outer edge.

I broke down and bought another trilogy set from Amazon that was just delivered today. The Part 1 RotK disc looked fine and ripped without issue. I decided to inspect all the discs in my original set and found a couple more with cracks similar to the one in the RotK disc. I also found edge cracks in some of the discs of the NEW set. After multiple inspections and rip tests, I've reallocated the "best" discs to one collection and will return the remaining collection to Amazon as damaged.

I just don't understand how the manufacturer of these discs can produce such shoddy discs for $90 freaking dollars.

Also, thanks for the frame numbers for stitching the two parts of each movie together - it works great!
centuryx476

Post by centuryx476 »

Hello,
I just ripped the 4K LOTR trilogy to my comp and want to merge them.
Are these values still good ?

Fellowship of the Ring:
Disc 1 - 151967
Disc 2 - 46

Two Towers
Disc 1 - 153305
Disc 2 - 46

Return of the King
Disc 1 - 183540
Disc 2 - 46
JerryBruckheimerFan

Post by JerryBruckheimerFan »

I tried ripping Fellowship Extended for both disc 1 and 2. Both failed around the halfway mark with "The source file '/BDMV/STREAM/00073.m2ts' is corrupt or invalid at offset 30658848768, attempting to work around". My wife got this for me back in Dec from Amazon and I just found out now that these discs can't be ripped since I only got a UHD ripping drive a week ago. It's too late for a return. Is this a disc manufacturing/printing issue? Maybe buy a new copy set from Amazon, rip successfully from said new copy, and then return old set as "defective" for a refund while keeping the new good one? Any thoughts?
JimVR4

Post by JimVR4 »

JerryBruckheimerFan wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 9:52 pm
I tried ripping Fellowship Extended for both disc 1 and 2. Both failed around the halfway mark with "The source file '/BDMV/STREAM/00073.m2ts' is corrupt or invalid at offset 30658848768, attempting to work around". My wife got this for me back in Dec from Amazon and I just found out now that these discs can't be ripped since I only got a UHD ripping drive a week ago. It's too late for a return. Is this a disc manufacturing/printing issue? Maybe buy a new copy set from Amazon, rip successfully from said new copy, and then return old set as "defective" for a refund while keeping the new good one? Any thoughts?
I had issues with both the ripping drive and a set of discs which I returned to Amazon. The replacement discs worked but I didn't know it until my ripping drive was replaced.
GoodGuy5000HD

Post by GoodGuy5000HD »

Just purchased Lord of the Rings 4K from Amazon and cannot successfully rip a single extended-edition disk. All disks get errors either trying to read the initial titles, or during the long rip.

I'm using the Archgon drive and have had no problem ripping my previously purchased movies: Harry Potter Series 4K (all disks were fine), Ghostbusters 4K, Star Trek 4K, plus various Blu-ray HD titles.

After the LOTR 4K failures, I re-ripped Ghostbusters 4K as a test, an it was ripped fine as before.

I've ordered another copy of LOTR from Amazon to see if those disks too are un-rippable, and they arrive in a few days.

Any suggestions beyond that? Thanks!
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Carefully clean the discs. From the center out with a microfiber cloth. They're a pain in the ass.
zipzaprap

Post by zipzaprap »

+1 to issues with the Hobbit discs at least. I've just finished ripping LoTR, Mulan, Monster Hunter and Kingsglaive all with no issues. Chuck in The Hobbit and nope, no luck. Lots of SCSI errors. Discs have been cleaned multiple times.

Must be a batch of these discs with issues.
GoodGuy5000HD

Post by GoodGuy5000HD »

GoodGuy5000HD wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 12:52 am
Just purchased Lord of the Rings 4K from Amazon and cannot successfully rip a single extended-edition disk. All disks get errors either trying to read the initial titles, or during the long rip.................
Just got the replacement from Amazon and all disks work fine, no errors. So it was a bad box, in my case.
narcospablo123

Post by narcospablo123 »

I've managed to convert the first LOTR movie into a combined 155gb dvhe07.06 dolby vision file.
It played fine on the shield, but on the oppo 203 the file keeps stuttering. I've spent all day trying to figure out why.

Other dvhe07.06 .mkv files work completely fine on the OPPO.
The ISO or blueray folder play fine.
In parts 1 and 2 .mkv they play fine.

I've tried remuxing again through makemkv but the process freezes around the size where the first part of the movie ends. I believe it's an appending issue.

My conclusions are that I don't think Oppo 203 can play appended files in this format at least. Anybody else wanna chime in?

Does anybody know how to unappend a file?
narcospablo123

MakeMKV 1.16.3 .mkv which has been appended using mkvtoolnix freezes approximately where the merge was?

Post by narcospablo123 »

I've burned LOTR Fellowship of the Ring and have converted part 1 and 2 into .mkvs. ( these play perfectly on the oppo, but in HDR of course)
After splitting and appending them on mkvtoolnix, my nvidia shield can play the file perfectly in dolby vision but my oppo203 can't without stuttering? It's playing the file but it's stuttering every few seconds making it unbearable. I thought maybe I should run the merged .mkv through makemkv and it might solve whatever issue mkvtoolnix might have left. This unfortunately didn't work and makemkv freezes halfway through converting the file, approximately where the merge took place.

I decided to get another .mkv movie in the same dvhe.07.06 format, split randomly and append it and that's also stuttering from the oppo. makemkv freezes on this one too.

Although I accept just leaving them in 2 parts I rather combine them for simplicity, does anybody have any idea what's going on?

Thankyou
dcoke22

Re: MakeMKV 1.16.3 .mkv which has been appended using mkvtoolnix freezes approximately where the merge was?

Post by dcoke22 »

I have no idea what's happening… However, the most recent version of MKVToolNix (I'm presuming that's how you're splitting and appending) has a change dealing with DV and mkvmerge. https://mkvtoolnix.download/doc/NEWS.md

What tools and what version are you using?
narcospablo123

Re: MakeMKV 1.16.3 .mkv which has been appended using mkvtoolnix freezes approximately where the merge was?

Post by narcospablo123 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:12 pm
I have no idea what's happening… However, the most recent version of MKVToolNix (I'm presuming that's how you're splitting and appending) has a change dealing with DV and mkvmerge. https://mkvtoolnix.download/doc/NEWS.md

Hey, Thankyou for the reply! I was using mkv toolnix and the Builtin mkv merge for it 58 version.

Would it be possible if you could try replicate the scenario by splitting and appending a random Dolby vision video and see if your makemkv can finish the file?

I believe the only reason it’s stuttering is because of the appending. As the LOTR is playing in Blueray folder, ISO, mkv part 1 and 2 perfectly.

Thanks!
narcospablo123

Post by narcospablo123 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:12 pm

EDIT: I have fixed this!!

1. Have part 1 and part 2 in their BDMV folders.
2. (optional to cut out 6 seconds): go onto DVDfab and add each .m2ts of the file and cut out the black bit of each movie ( so end of first one and beginning of last one)
3. Add these movies back into their BDMV folder
4. add part 1 into tsmuxer using either the .m2ts file or the mpls file if you want to keep the chapters etc
5. press join on tsmuxer and add the second .m2ts file for part 2
6. mux into an ISO and the movie plays perfectly.
7. ( optional, go onto makemkv and add the ISO and make it into a .mkv SingleTrack Dual Layer if you wish. )

confirmed working on oppo and shield.

the difference in the two techniques is that using mkvtoolnix produces a version4 .mkv appended file, tsmuxer and makemkv produces a version 2 .mkv appended file. Seems like the oppo doesn't like version 4 appended files as I've tried it with another movie and it stuttered too.
adam42

Post by adam42 »

Just discovered this mega-thread while looking for help ripping LOTR extended edition.

Successfully ripped and merged the two separate halves of the FOTR but then came across a problem while watching it.

makemkv has made the English lang subtitle track on by default, which puts subtitles all the way the film, even while they are speaking English - sorry, I mean Common Tongue.

The 2nd subtitle track should be on by default, because it provides English subtitles only for the Elven dialogue. That is how the film on the DVD plays.

Can I instruct makemkv to do that instead of its own thing?

Thanks!