Lord of the Rings + The Hobbit 4K (Finally!)

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
pixelme

Re: Lord of the Rings + The Hobbit 4K (Finally!)

Post by pixelme »

I'm having an issue with Desolation of Smaug 4K extended!

Using LibreDrive mode (v06.2 id=0FA242DD4D0B)
Using direct disc access mode
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Saved AACS dump file as F:/DVDs//MKB20_v76_The_Hobbit-_Desolation_of_Smaug_(Extended)_ADA9.tgz
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
DEBUG: Code 0 at \hDnJ)j9w B>P Qk:29396069
DEBUG: Code 0 at \hDnJ)j9w B>P Qk:29395149
Failed to open disc

All of the other extended versions (1 and 3) had no problem, easy peasy but smaug isn't playing nicely. :(

I have submitted the dump file and i tried power cycling the computer/drive, swapped discs to another bluray, etc.

So then i tried Desolation of Smaug 4K theatrical out of frustration and it worked, popped back in the extended and no GO. Was it daft to assume that they would use the same hash keys for theatrical and extended discs... or even for the whole set... or is every disc in set unique.

Hoping it's just a case of that specific hash key that needs processing and nothing else.. must have smaug 4k extended! :lol:
Fix Me

Post by Fix Me »

Bagdad48 wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:03 pm
Yep, I did. Got the same dump error for Part 1 & 2 of both Fellowship of the Ring and Two Towers. I submitted all 4 to the email address. Only one that worked was Return of the King. Really weird.
That's really weird! The only ones I can't get to work are the theatrical and EE Two Towers. Everything else has worked fine. The theatrical version gives the error about the key and the EE bombs out on the second disc after copying a while. I've tried three different copies, one does something slightly different but the end result is the same, neither version of TT will copy.
preserve

Post by preserve »

pixelme wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:01 am
Was it daft to assume that they would use the same hash keys for theatrical and extended discs... or even for the whole set... or is every disc in set unique.
Yes, every disc has a unique key and sometimes for the same release, there will be multiple versions of the discs with different keys.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
jcwillia1

Post by jcwillia1 »

getting read errors on multiple discs.

I've been able to just re-run for the first 2 movies but return of the king - I'm on my fourth try with no success.

Is the only remedy to just try again?

edit : I failed like 6 straight times with return of the king - finally pulled the disc out to play it on my xbox to see if that was the issue - the back of the disc was filthy... how does a brand new disc get that dirty?

edit 2 : cleaned the disc - all good - smh. can't figure out how something that's "new" is in that poor of condition.
rcork

Post by rcork »

I had no issues decrypting and copying all films except for Fellowship of the Ring - Theatrical version. The volume key is unknown for that one disc. I submitted the dump via email 5 days ago but it still has not been added. On the FAQ is says anywhere from a few hours to a few days but 5 days seems outside the typical range. Is it possible that this disc is not decryptable or have others experienced long delays between submitting keys and able to decrypt?
Bluntman

Post by Bluntman »

rcork wrote:I had no issues decrypting and copying all films except for Fellowship of the Ring - Theatrical version. The volume key is unknown for that one disc. I submitted the dump via email 5 days ago but it still has not been added. On the FAQ is says anywhere from a few hours to a few days but 5 days seems outside the typical range. Is it possible that this disc is not decryptable or have others experienced long delays between submitting keys and able to decrypt?

It’s taken over a week before just relax. Mike will get there!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
JimVR4

Post by JimVR4 »

agressiv wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:42 pm
If you want a single MKV for each extended movie with a flawless scene transition between discs, follow this guide. Be prepared to have a lot of scratch disk for this, preferably on NVMe SSD :)
  • Rip each extended disk to its own MKV, for example, LOTR1a.mkv and LOTR1b.mkv
  • Drag Disc 1 into MkvToolnix by itself
  • Go into the Output tab.
  • Change Split mode from Do not split to After frame/field numbers
  • Type in the large value in the list below for the "a" MKV and the smaller value for the "b" MKV
  • The destination file can be LOTR1a-clipped.mkv as an example.
  • When you click Start multiplexing, it will create two files - LOTR1a-clipped-001.mkv and LOTR1a-clipped-002.mkv
  • Repeat for Disc 2.
  • You'll see that for the first disc, -002 will be just a couple of seconds of black, while for the second disc, -001 will be just a couple of seconds of black.
  • Create a new Multiplexer, and drag LOTR1a-clipped-001.mkv to the list. Right click that video, and do Append files and click LOTR1b-clipped-002.mkv.
  • Make sure you don't touch the output section on this merge.
  • Click Start multiplexing and verify the output. Dolby Vision should be preserved as well.
Here are the values to plug in under the Output section for the US editions:

Fellowship of the Ring:
Disc 1 - 151967
Disc 2 - 46

Two Towers
Disc 1 - 153305
Disc 2 - 46

Return of the King
Disc 1 - 183540
Disc 2 - 46

If these don't line up for you, load each file into MPC-HC:
  • Go to the last visible frame and pause it. Use CTRL and left or right arrow keys until you get the last frame.
  • Hit CTRL-G. That will give you a popup of the current frame.
  • For Disc 1, you want the last visible frame before it goes black.
  • For Disc 2, you want the last black frame before it goes into a visible frame.
  • Verify by using CTRL-G and putting in that number as well as the number after it. CTRL-Arrow seeking isn't perfect.
The first time I tried this FOTR worked, played with perfect audio sync and the black piece was clipped out but I did not get Dolby Vision. A check in Plex GetInfo showed the D O V I was not present. After trying again with mkvtoolnix v55 it all works perfectly. The best part is that the Shield Plex app seems to be broken with respect to stacked files where only the first file will play so combining them works around that issue. VERY happy with this now :D :D :D
JimVR4

Post by JimVR4 »

As I wrote I created combined files using the guide from agressiv. Here are my findings:
System:
Plex Server: 1.22.0.4163
Plex Client: Nvidia Shield TV 8.14.1.23548

Fellowship of the Ring:
Size is 151,818,076 KB
Plays back in DV and TrueHD, audio in perfect sync

The Two Towers
Size is 147,255,233 KB
Plays back in DV and TrueHD, audio not in perfect sync but very close

Return of the King
Size is 172,564,683 KB
Plays back in DV and TrueHD, audio noticeably out of sync, not watchable

I tested all these files in Kodi v19.0 and all of them play back in HDR10 but with perfect audio sync on the TrueHD track.

So, two bugs in Plex. First cannot play stacked files, second can't keep TrueHD in sync. I'll have to find the kodi builds that support DV and try those out
Remco007

Post by Remco007 »

Hello, I just purchased this set to rip, but the disc wont even load properly. The drive seems to make a bunch of noisand then goes silent, with both Windows and MakeMKV saying there is no disc inside. Both the drive and the boxset is brand new. It also worked wonders on my 4K Wizard of Oz disc. This is the info that MakeMKV says about my drive:

Drive Information
OS device name: F:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WH16NS60
Revision: 1.02
Serial number: KLNK3J92354
Firmware date: 2118-10-29 19:36
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.02
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I spent way too much on these items to not work.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Remco007 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:54 pm
Hello, I just purchased this set to rip, but the disc wont even load properly. The drive seems to make a bunch of noisand then goes silent, with both Windows and MakeMKV saying there is no disc inside. Both the drive and the boxset is brand new. It also worked wonders on my 4K Wizard of Oz disc. This is the info that MakeMKV says about my drive:

Drive Information

LibreDrive Information

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I spent way too much on these items to not work.
Clean the discs
The WH16NS60 and lower models are very trouble some same with the asus bw16.
If cleaning the disc does not work get a BU40N
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
budley007

Post by budley007 »

You rock Mike!
MakeMKV just updated the hashed keys. My last disc is finally ripping. Thanks for the great service.
wurselum

Post by wurselum »

Hey,

I have some problems to save my extended Version of "The Return of the King" german version part 2.

I got always a fatal error.

Is this a known error?
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-02 um 21.33.20.png
Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-02 um 21.33.20.png (722.65 KiB) Viewed 17463 times
Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-02 um 21.34.12.png
Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-02 um 21.34.12.png (683.35 KiB) Viewed 17464 times
Remco007

Post by Remco007 »

Billycar11 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:54 pm
Remco007 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:54 pm

Drive Information

LibreDrive Information

Clean the discs
The WH16NS60 and lower models are very trouble some same with the asus bw16.
If cleaning the disc does not work get a BU40N
I tried cleaning the disc. I tried everything. Didnt work. So I took your advice and just bought a BU40N.
Flashed it. Now its happily ripping these damn discs.
Thanks for your advice. :)
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

These bu40n drives are like a tank. They can't read physically damaged discs but they read damn near everything else. May not be the fastest drive on the market but I'd wager a bet that reading at 6x is faster than constantly getting read errors and having to try again. :D
CerebralFreeze

Post by CerebralFreeze »

BillyCar11 just helped me flash my WH16NS60 and it worked!

I was reading this thread and others, trying to figure out how to get MakeMKV read 4k discs. I was going to try to do it myself but it was so confusing so I ended private messaging BillyCar.

From my initial private message to him to my drive finally working, I think it took about 30 minutes! Really cool!

This is what capitalism should be about. People helping each other and getting paid a fair amount for the work. It shouldn't be about gouging or scamming each other.

Good job, Billy!