Lord of the Rings + The Hobbit 4K (Finally!)

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
SporeTinte049

Re: Lord of the Rings + The Hobbit 4K (Finally!)

Post by SporeTinte049 »

n4zZ0r wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:19 pm
Jobber72 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:54 am
toastedLinux wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:43 pm
German Version of "The Fellowship of the Ring" could not be decrypted ether :(
Part 2 (extended version) decrypts fine. Part 1 has generated the .tgz file which I will send in to Mike. Just waiting to see what the other discs do so if needed I can send through a bunch of .tgz files in one go. (German discs here as well).

In general; if a disc does not decrypt, Makemkv will generate a .tgz file in the data directory for Makemkv which on linux normally is ~/.Makemkv; these files can be sent in to svq@makemkv.com so Mike can do his wizard-like stuff ;-).
I'm having these problems with the first Disc of "The Two Towers". The other discs working fine. I sent the .tgz file to Mike. So just waiting :-)
Me too!
Barod

Post by Barod »

Hi, one question,

after sending in the dump-file. How long dose it take for publishing the right key-file, in average?
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Barod wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:48 pm
Hi, one question,

after sending in the dump-file. How long dose it take for publishing the right key-file, in average?

UHD FAQ

I submitted a dump, how long does it take?
Once submitted, the turnaround can be pretty fast, between 12 to 48 hours.
When you submit a dump, ensure that:
- You are using the latest version of MakeMKV
- You are using a LibreDrive-enabled drive (be it "friendly" or "official", but it must be LibreDrive enabled)
- You have "Enable Internet access" enabled in Preferences (in the General tab)
- You are opening the original disc (not a backup, not ISO, etc)
- You are opening the disc using a real disc drive natively (no elby clonedrive, no vmware, no dvdfab or discsoft virtual, etc)
n4zZ0r

Post by n4zZ0r »

SporeTinte049 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:43 pm
n4zZ0r wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:19 pm
Jobber72 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:54 am

Part 2 (extended version) decrypts fine. Part 1 has generated the .tgz file which I will send in to Mike. Just waiting to see what the other discs do so if needed I can send through a bunch of .tgz files in one go. (German discs here as well).

In general; if a disc does not decrypt, Makemkv will generate a .tgz file in the data directory for Makemkv which on linux normally is ~/.Makemkv; these files can be sent in to svq@makemkv.com so Mike can do his wizard-like stuff ;-).
I'm having these problems with the first Disc of "The Two Towers". The other discs working fine. I sent the .tgz file to Mike. So just waiting :-)
Me too!
Finally it works! ;-) First disc of "The two Tower" is running ;-)
Sgt Hartman

Post by Sgt Hartman »

Trickyd-1 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:51 pm
Yes, but the audio is still fading out into the black screen so you will end up with an abrupt jump on the audio. Especially on the two towers.
Hi, did you find a way to address this issue? After appending the 2 parts (for all the 3 LOTR movies) with MKVToolNix the audio appears asynchronous at the beginning of the 2nd part, this only with Plex, tried also with Kodi but no issue in this case even if no DV. The only way I have to sync it is go play it back a few seconds, but of course that's not so an elegant solution.
Rainer

Post by Rainer »

Somehow LOTR did not work for me. I restarted MakeMKV several times - also tried different discs.
Only after I restarted MakeMkv and inserted at first another (older) UHD disc everything was fine.

(I am using an external drive)
A.RABID.BUFFALO

Post by A.RABID.BUFFALO »

Sgt Hartman wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:56 am
Trickyd-1 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:51 pm
Yes, but the audio is still fading out into the black screen so you will end up with an abrupt jump on the audio. Especially on the two towers.
Hi, did you find a way to address this issue? After appending the 2 parts (for all the 3 LOTR movies) with MKVToolNix the audio appears asynchronous at the beginning of the 2nd part, this only with Plex, tried also with Kodi but no issue in this case even if no DV. The only way I have to sync it is go play it back a few seconds, but of course that's not so an elegant solution.

Not sure about the audio drift issues I personally did not have this one. The first film when looking at the audio in an audio editor does not have any music fading out to black its a hard cut unlike with Two Towers and Return of the King. So to address this I cut Fellowship to the last visible frame of the first disc and the first visible frame of the second disc, with the other two films i left the first disc alone with black fade but cut the second disc at first visible frame. Honestly it works, even if it slightly takes you out of it since I don't recall seeing fades in any other part of the film, but again audio intact is important to me.
ChisumMP

Post by ChisumMP »

agressiv wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:42 pm
If you want a single MKV for each extended movie with a flawless scene transition between discs, follow this guide.
[/list]
After checking the mkv-toolnix-joined mkv-file with makemkv, I received a lot of AV-Synchronisation errors at the beginning of the second part. So I tried another method, which worked for me and the makemkv check. I joined the streams of the main m2ts.files of the two disks using eac3to (eac3to.exe "Disk1.m2ts"+"Disk2.m2ts") Be sure, that both video streams and your audio and subtitle streams are demuxed. If you want to cut the m2ts.files, do it before with tsmuxer (Cutting only work without TrueHD-streams). After demuxing merge all streams(including DV stream) with mkvtoolnix. Then run the joined mkv-file through makemkv to mux the two videostreams into one stream with two layers including DV layer.

I checked that method with all LOTR-UHD's and with Lawrence of Arabia UHD. Just know, that AC3core in TrueHD7.1 will be downmixed by eac3to to 5.1.

Another idea for joining files could be BDEdit, but I have not checked that so far.
dunnieboy

Post by dunnieboy »

So - I really want to rip these (they came yesrterday) to my NAS ... is there a definitive guide or do i need to read 15 pages of this thread ?
CalMachine

Post by CalMachine »

So the first copy of LOTR 4k I received, the disc for the Fellowship of the Ring (Extended) Pt 2 had a small crack on the outter edge of the disc. So I ended up purchasing another copy. That copy came today and I'm attempting to rip the Fellowship (extended) Pt 2 again and now I'm observing this error.

"Using direct disc access mode
Using LibreDrive mode (v06.2 id=4ACF8047C3AC)
Saved AACS dump file as C:\Users\Ryan/.MakeMKV/MKB20_v76_The_Lord_of_the_Rings-_The_Fellowship_of_the_Ring_(EXT_)_PT_2_93CB.tgz
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc"

I'm still relatively new to ripping discs, how should I proceed to remedy this issue?
preserve

Post by preserve »

CalMachine wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:07 pm
I'm still relatively new to ripping discs, how should I proceed to remedy this issue?
The answer to your question is in the UHD FAQ that's stickied at the top of this forum.
dunnieboy wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:13 pm
I really want to rip these (they came yesrterday) to my NAS ... is there a definitive guide or do i need to read 15 pages of this thread ?
You don't need a guide, they're the same as any other UHD disc. The difference is that these (and other recent discs) seem to have lower manufacturing quality, are causing issues with ripping, and 1) may require more cleaning, 2) different drives or different read speeds may have greater success, or 3) the discs may be more likely to just not be readable, and require multiple replacements to get a readable disc.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
Bagdad48

Post by Bagdad48 »

Hi, when I try and rip the new 4k version of LOTR Extended edition Fellowship of the ring Disc #1 I get the following message. Any idea what can be done to resolve this?

Using LibreDrive mode (v06.2 id=62194E19F4EC)
Using direct disc access mode
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Saved AACS dump file as C:\Users\bagda/.MakeMKV/MKB20_v76_The_Lord_of_the_Rings-_The_Fellowship_of_the_Ring_(EXT_)_PT_1_A7C0.tgz
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc
preserve

Post by preserve »

Bagdad48 wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:13 am
Any idea what can be done to resolve this?
Did you read the UHD FAQ and did you email the dump file to svq@makemkv.com?
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
Bagdad48

Post by Bagdad48 »

Yep, I did. Got the same dump error for Part 1 & 2 of both Fellowship of the Ring and Two Towers. I submitted all 4 to the email address. Only one that worked was Return of the King. Really weird.
CalMachine

Post by CalMachine »

preserve wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:19 am
Bagdad48 wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:13 am
Any idea what can be done to resolve this?
Did you read the UHD FAQ and did you email the dump file to svq@makemkv.com?
I'll do that now! Thanks