Lord of the Rings + The Hobbit 4K (Finally!)

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
recordplay

Re: Lord of the Rings + The Hobbit 4K (Finally!)

Post by recordplay »

So I bought the LOTR Trilogy giftset from best buy and started ripping the discs which are huge fyi. Reading the thread I expected to run into problems but surprisingly no problems arose. Once I go to the Two Towers Extended Edition D2, the disc had 4 visible scratches and I'm not WTF. I attempted to clean it but they seemed to still be there. Started not to rip but I went on expecting it obviously to fail. The entire disc ripped full speed no issues. :D I have Disney discs that are perfectly clean that have issues ripping. I just don't understand it lol :?
ESPNY

Post by ESPNY »

Could not rip any of the European LOTR 4k discs, I always get SCSI errors. Anyone else with the same problem?

Edit: Upgraded to 1.15.4 and it still does not work.
Last edited by ESPNY on Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toastedLinux

Post by toastedLinux »

German Version of "The Fellowship of the Ring" could not be decrypted ether :(
nochzunennen

Post by nochzunennen »

Hi,
I have the new Lord of the Rings UHD German Version.
I get the message "The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted"
for all three first discs of the extended version.

I sent the dump files to mike´s mail address too.
Jobber72

Post by Jobber72 »

toastedLinux wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:43 pm
Part 2 (extended version) decrypts fine. Part 1 has generated the .tgz file which I will send in to Mike. Just waiting to see what the other discs do so if needed I can send through a bunch of .tgz files in one go. (German discs here as well).

In general; if a disc does not decrypt, Makemkv will generate a .tgz file in the data directory for Makemkv which on linux normally is ~/.Makemkv; these files can be sent in to svq@makemkv.com so Mike can do his wizard-like stuff ;-).
n4zZ0r

Post by n4zZ0r »

Jobber72 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:54 am
toastedLinux wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:43 pm
Part 2 (extended version) decrypts fine. Part 1 has generated the .tgz file which I will send in to Mike. Just waiting to see what the other discs do so if needed I can send through a bunch of .tgz files in one go. (German discs here as well).

In general; if a disc does not decrypt, Makemkv will generate a .tgz file in the data directory for Makemkv which on linux normally is ~/.Makemkv; these files can be sent in to svq@makemkv.com so Mike can do his wizard-like stuff ;-).
I'm having these problems with the first Disc of "The Two Towers". The other discs working fine. I sent the .tgz file to Mike. So just waiting :-)
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

I finally got my set from BB online. The USPS was a little slow. Looks like all ripped but Two towers theatrical and extended part 2.

I will try and return just those 2 disc at BB I think I can wait till after Christmas.
Cannikin

Post by Cannikin »

For anyone that was following my saga of frame dropping/skipping during LOTR, I think I fixed it. And it wasn't just LOTR, it seemed to happen in most DV content coming from Plex on an Nvidia Shield Pro.

Previously when I turned on Refresh Rate Switching in Plex I saw that it was always outputting HDR so I didn't think it was going to work. After some more testing, however, I think this was just the result of the existing wonky Plex behavior: every time I start a Dolby Vision movie there's a 20% chance it'll start in HDR instead of DV. Exiting out and playing again will usually start DV correctly. I tried Refresh Rate Switching again today and after a couple of starts I got DV to play and the video was perfect, no stutters at all.

I tried the built-in Nvidia "Match Frame Rate" setting as well, and in 100% of cases turning it on would cause Plex to stop and spin, then switch to HDR. The only way I could preserve DV was to use Plex's setting only and disable Nvidia's.

Not to mention that avoiding the 3:2 (6:4?) pulldown going from 24fps to 60fps is amazing, I didn't realize what I was missing!
Barod

Post by Barod »

Has anyone also problems with Return of the King Pt1 GERMAN version?

Code: Select all

Inhalte-Hashtabelle geladen, überprüfe Integrität der M2TS-Dateien.
AACS Ausgabedatei als /Users/hias/Library/MakeMKV/MKB20_v76_The_Lord_of_the_Rings-_The_Return_of_the_King_(EXT_)_PT_1_A98D.tgz gesichert
Der Volumenschlüssel für die DVD/Blu-ray ist unbekannt - das Video kann nicht entschlüsselt werden
DEBUG: Code 0 at jlaLC{K\#"u''c~5:29396069
DEBUG: Code 0 at jlaLC{K\#"u''c~5:29395149
Das Öffnen der Disk schlug fehl 
I already send the file to the support address.
n4zZ0r

Post by n4zZ0r »

Barod wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:00 am
Has anyone also problems with Return of the King Pt1 GERMAN version?

Code: Select all

Inhalte-Hashtabelle geladen, überprüfe Integrität der M2TS-Dateien.
AACS Ausgabedatei als /Users/hias/Library/MakeMKV/MKB20_v76_The_Lord_of_the_Rings-_The_Return_of_the_King_(EXT_)_PT_1_A98D.tgz gesichert
Der Volumenschlüssel für die DVD/Blu-ray ist unbekannt - das Video kann nicht entschlüsselt werden
DEBUG: Code 0 at jlaLC{K\#"u''c~5:29396069
DEBUG: Code 0 at jlaLC{K\#"u''c~5:29395149
Das Öffnen der Disk schlug fehl 
I already send the file to the support address.
I'm having this failure with First disc of "the two towers". Also German Version.

The other Discs worked fine.
tursiops

Post by tursiops »

Hi,
I've just started to try and backup my uhd version of the fellowship of the ring french version and got error that it cannot be decrypted because the key is not known.
I've attached the tgz file.
Thanks for your help.
Attachments
MKB20_v76_The_Lord_of_the_Rings-_The_Fellowship_of_the_Ring_(EXT_)_PT_1_F3DB.tgz
(165.54 KiB) Downloaded 456 times
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Sending the TGZ via email to svq@makemkv.com works better than uploading to the forum.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

I updated to the latest version 1.15.4 and also updated my anydvd to 8.5.0.4 beta and I was able to rip both two towers that would not rip before processing the mkv file so far no errors other than a single sync error.
theshakl

Post by theshakl »

I was going to rip my copies but it appears that there are 2 copies of the film. Each 84gb for Fellowship. How do I know which one is the right one? Why are there 2?
preserve

Post by preserve »

theshakl wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:27 am
I was going to rip my copies but it appears that there are 2 copies of the film. Each 84gb for Fellowship. How do I know which one is the right one? Why are there 2?
I recall someone else bringing this up for this release, but didn’t catch the answer. From the stickied FAQ... perhaps the second one or the last one is the case with this release?

I see multiple titles for the main movie, which one do I choose?
Just as with Blu-ray discs, there may be multiple titles on the disc for varying reasons:
- If the disc has multiple cuts, such as theatrical vs extended.
- Look at "Source file name" - one may be the mpls playlist with chapters (this is the one you want), the other the m2ts source file.
- Disney discs will have multiple titles where the difference is localization for the titles and credits. English will be 800, other languages will be 801, 802, etc. (Some older discs might be something like 200, 201, 202, etc.)
- Look at the included audio/subtitle tracks. Some discs have one playlist for English/French/Spanish/etc, and a second playlist for English/Japanese.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00