Lord of the Rings + The Hobbit 4K (Finally!)

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
dooferorg

Re: Lord of the Rings + The Hobbit 4K (Finally!)

Post by dooferorg »

Lost Dog wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:53 pm
dooferorg wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:49 pm
From my original set disc 2 does better but still has an error on file 00073.m2ts (the big 29GB one) .. really not sure why. It does this on both the drives.

The SHA1 I get from my resulting dump of the 00073.m2ts file is:

Code: Select all

6740e0b97dc9f9056dc17927f16d84475e693871  00073.m2ts
can I ask if that matches anyone else's?

Maybe I'll try transcoding it to see if it works before I order yet another set.
My 00073.m2ts is 79.5 GB!

b32c0ef13803c1fada4344e0f46893bcbf1e9fcb  00073.m2ts
Ah, yes, that probably is a lot more like it then :D Yea.. these discs are so weird.
richwill

Post by richwill »

I ran into the same issues with Return of the King (UHD 1st disk, not Extended), using version 16.4 on Linux (Ubuntu 20.04.3).

Whenever I tried to open the disk, I would get a fault in the UI and the application closed.

I was able to perform a full disk backup to the local drive with no issues, however there were a few checksum mismatches (as expected).

I then tried to decrypt the files from disk, and had the same fault on disk:

[31158.532450] makemkvcon[10582]: segfault at 8 ip 00000000007b539b sp 00007f6c5c9545f0 error 4 in makemkvcon[492000+39f000]
[31158.532457] Code: 05 41 c6 80 60 01 00 00 00 31 ff 44 89 4c 24 6c 45 84 c9 0f 84 09 03 00 00 40 84 ff b8 00 00 00 00 4c 8b 74 24 30 49 0f 44 c6 <8b> 70 08 4c 8b 64 24 40 4c 89 e7 e8 55 7d e9 ff 4c 8b 44 24 28 41

I looked at the forum dates in this thread and based on those, I downgraded to 15.4. Using version 15.4 it is decrypting just fine.

I don't know enough to debug this on Linux at this point, but it seems that it happened shortly after it started opening the segments with BD+.

On version 15.4 I see the following Debug code if it helps (16.4 crashed prior to any debug code being logged):
DEBUG: Code 0 at 2\}z?b^7.Wj+}Df-P0Sn:213133204

I hope this helps.
ddeconin@gmail.com

Post by ddeconin@gmail.com »

My second disk of LOTR the fellowship of the ring extended version disk 2 doesn't open in makemkv. All the others copied fine. Anyone else got this?
ddeconin@gmail.com

Post by ddeconin@gmail.com »

Lost Dog wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:42 pm
Yeah, the joys of ripping this set...

I finally got all the extended ripped. I did a full disk backup for all of them just to be safe. One of the ROTK disks would not even be seen by the drive most times. A total power down and starting with the disk in the drive got it to load ONCE and I made a successful rip of that.

I didn't bother with the non-extended so at this point I'm good to go. Now I need to clear ~12 hours out of my schedule to watch them :D
Did you use any special settings for LOTR FotR EE Disc 2. I can't seem to get it to work for my set.. all of the others ran fine..
Lost Dog

Post by Lost Dog »

ddeconin@gmail.com wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:32 pm

Did you use any special settings for LOTR FotR EE Disc 2. I can't seem to get it to work for my set.. all of the others ran fine..
No special settings. Does your drive mount the disk but makemkv not read it? In my case, I could not even mount the disk. The drive works just spin and not recognize the disk. Finally got it to read once and then it ripped fine.
robclay

Post by robclay »

agressiv wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:42 pm
If you want a single MKV for each extended movie with a flawless scene transition between discs, follow this guide. Be prepared to have a lot of scratch disk for this, preferably on NVMe SSD :)
  • Rip each extended disk to its own MKV, for example, LOTR1a.mkv and LOTR1b.mkv
  • Drag Disc 1 into MkvToolnix by itself
  • Go into the Output tab.
  • Change Split mode from Do not split to After frame/field numbers
  • Type in the large value in the list below for the "a" MKV and the smaller value for the "b" MKV
  • The destination file can be LOTR1a-clipped.mkv as an example.
  • When you click Start multiplexing, it will create two files - LOTR1a-clipped-001.mkv and LOTR1a-clipped-002.mkv
  • Repeat for Disc 2.
  • You'll see that for the first disc, -002 will be just a couple of seconds of black, while for the second disc, -001 will be just a couple of seconds of black.
  • Create a new Multiplexer, and drag LOTR1a-clipped-001.mkv to the list. Right click that video, and do Append files and click LOTR1b-clipped-002.mkv.
  • Make sure you don't touch the output section on this merge.
  • Click Start multiplexing and verify the output. Dolby Vision should be preserved as well.
Here are the values to plug in under the Output section for the US editions:

Fellowship of the Ring:
Disc 1 - 151967
Disc 2 - 46

Two Towers
Disc 1 - 153305
Disc 2 - 46

Return of the King
Disc 1 - 183540
Disc 2 - 46

If these don't line up for you, load each file into MPC-HC:
  • Go to the last visible frame and pause it. Use CTRL and left or right arrow keys until you get the last frame.
  • Hit CTRL-G. That will give you a popup of the current frame.
  • For Disc 1, you want the last visible frame before it goes black.
  • For Disc 2, you want the last black frame before it goes into a visible frame.
  • Verify by using CTRL-G and putting in that number as well as the number after it. CTRL-Arrow seeking isn't perfect.
@agressiv, Thank you for providing such detailed instructions... as well as "Teaching how to fish!" For whatever reason, MPC did not install with chocolatey, so I ended up using https://darbyjohnston.github.io/DJV/ instead of MPC, but used it in a similar manner as your instruction set. Thanks for taking the time to write this!
jojo69

Post by jojo69 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:48 pm
These bu40n drives are like a tank. They can't read physically damaged discs but they read damn near everything else. May not be the fastest drive on the market but I'd wager a bet that reading at 6x is faster than constantly getting read errors and having to try again. :D
I have a BU40N and this is the only disk (Desolation) I can't read so far. And I am on version 1.17.2 MakeMKV.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

jojo69 wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:10 pm
SamuriHL wrote:
These bu40n drives are like a tank. They can't read physically damaged discs but they read damn near everything else. May not be the fastest drive on the market but I'd wager a bet that reading at 6x is faster than constantly getting read errors and having to try again. :D
I have a BU40N and this is the only disk (Desolation) I can't read so far. And I am on version 1.17.2 MakeMKV.
Sadly it happens. I've yet to encounter one that I can't read with it but if a disc is physically screwed up (even if you can't see any scratches, remember how small the data is crammed onto these discs) then no drive will be able to read it. Try cleaning the disc with a microfiber and if that doesn't work get it replaced.
jojo69

Post by jojo69 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:41 pm
jojo69 wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:10 pm
SamuriHL wrote:
Sadly it happens. I've yet to encounter one that I can't read with it but if a disc is physically screwed up (even if you can't see any scratches, remember how small the data is crammed onto these discs) then no drive will be able to read it. Try cleaning the disc with a microfiber and if that doesn't work get it replaced.
After wiping it a few times with a microfiber it still failed 3x. I sprayed a little eyeglass cleaner on it then cleaned it again with a microfiber and BINGO it worked.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

jojo69 wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:06 am
After wiping it a few times with a microfiber it still failed 3x. I sprayed a little eyeglass cleaner on it then cleaned it again with a microfiber and BINGO it worked.
I always love that. :)
pr3jsylw

Post by pr3jsylw »

agressiv wrote:
If you want a single MKV for each extended movie with a flawless scene transition between discs, follow this guide. Be prepared to have a lot of scratch disk for this, preferably on NVMe SSD :)
  • Type in the large value in the list below for the "a" MKV and the smaller value for the "b" MKV
  • When you click Start multiplexing, it will create two files - LOTR1a-clipped-001.mkv and LOTR1a-clipped-002.mkv
  • Repeat for Disc 2.
  • You'll see that for the first disc, -002 will be just a couple of seconds of black, while for the second disc, -001 will be just a couple of seconds of black.
  • Create a new Multiplexer, and drag LOTR1a-clipped-001.mkv to the list. Right click that video, and do Append files and click LOTR1b-clipped-002.mkv.
  • Click Start multiplexing and verify the output. Dolby Vision should be preserved as well.

Fellowship of the Ring:
Disc 1 - 151967
Disc 2 - 46

Two Towers
Disc 1 - 153305
Disc 2 - 46

Return of the King
Disc 1 - 183540
Disc 2 - 46

• Go to the last visible frame and pause it. Use CTRL and left or right arrow keys until you get the last frame.
  • For Disc 2, you want the last black frame before it goes into a visible frame.
  • Verify by using CTRL-G and putting in that number as well as the number after it. CTRL-Arrow seeking isn't perfect.
Thanks for this. For those who may be having trouble, I was able to use dd to piece together an ISO from different copies of a disc.

1. Scan 1st disc using makemkv to enable LibreDrive. (Ref: viewtopic.php?p=79130#p79130)

2. Image first part (1st disc; fails, but outputs 59829888 blocks to iso file)

dd if=/dev/sr0 of=LOTR_FOTW_p1.iso status=progress
3. Image Second part (2nd disc; fails, but outputs 64504296 blocks to second iso file)

dd if=/dev/sr0 of=LOTR_FOTW_p2.iso skip=59829888 status=progress
4. Image Third part [if necessary; repeat as required] (1st disc; succeeds; skips blocks from first two parts)

dd if=/dev/sr0 of=LOTR_FOTW_p3.iso skip=124334184 status=progress
5. Create a copy of the first part.

cp LOTR_FOTW_p1.iso LOTR_FOTW.iso
6. Append second part

dd if=LOTR_FOTW_p2.iso OF=LOTR_FOTW.iso oflag=append conv=notrunc
7. Append third part

dd if=LOTR_FOTW_p3.iso OF=LOTR_FOTW.iso oflag=append conv=notrunc
8. Open ISO in MakeMKV and create MKV as desired.

TIP: Keep copy of ISO in case you need to create another MKV in the future.
Damundai

Post by Damundai »

Ok... silly question. Nice to see some of you getting this done, even though some are struggling with problems here and there. I just ordered the Middle Earth box set from Amazon and this is my first 4K purchase and will be my first 4K rip. I have an extensive collection (3000+) of movies on DVD and Blu-Ray and I know my bit rates for encoding them to MP4 format. I usually use 1500kbps video for DVD and 3500kbps video for Blu-Ray and bring my audio to 192kbps, 48K hz, Stereo for all my audio, regardless.

What bitrate is recommended for 4K and about audio, are you re-encoding to MP3 format or are you using pass-thru?

Thanks for any advice you can recommend!

PS: Seeing it is recommended 35–45 Mbps (35K=45K Kbps). Is this what you all use or do you leave the files in the ripped file format for your streaming?
Smeash_Bandit

Post by Smeash_Bandit »

agressiv wrote:
  • Repeat for Disc 2.

Fellowship of the Ring:
Disc 1 - 151967
Disc 2 - 46

Two Towers
Disc 1 - 153305
Disc 2 - 46

Return of the King
Disc 1 - 183540
Disc 2 - 46

Thanks for posting this. Worked perfectly!
benatural

Post by benatural »

Posting to say that I have the 4k UHD The Hobbit The Motion Picture Trilogy and have tried to open the second disc with MakeMKV and got the volume key error. I've sent the TGZ to the email address.
ggiinnoo

Post by ggiinnoo »

Just wanted to say thank you!

Just received my copy and all ripped without issues... except that it's 700gb :lol: