Dolby Vision and 1.15.3

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
shawnc22

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.3

Post by shawnc22 »

jaqbk wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:46 pm
I'm also trying to understand this and I would like to join in on this Q&A, if you don't mind :)

For me the main question is: Do you retain all DV data (Full Enhancement Layer data and such) when converting from a dual-layer (MEL/FEL) dual-track to a dual-layer single track ? ..meaning that the converted file is of same quality (dv-wise) as the original BD when playing on dolby vision capable player such as OPPO UDP-203 for example ?
As far as I know, there is no information lost when going from dual track to single track, so the question really comes down to if the player will treat both formats the same way. There have been some comparisons done in the past by users here with the Oppo, and I believe the conclusion was that there was no discernible difference between the two. I think @DaMacFunkin might've been one of those users, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

Thanks so much for helping everybody with our questions and helping us better understand HDR/Dolby Vision!

I have another question or two as well...

What does regular HDR content (ie. HDR10?) look like (re: tracks/layers) compared to Dolby Vision?

Does regular HDR content (ie. HDR10?) have a Base Layer?

If you remove the Enhancement Layer (EL) from a Dolby Vision movie, are you left with a regular HDR10 movie?

I'm also confused because it seems like "HDR10" is just a simple set of about 20 pieces of data. (max brightness, etc) When I think of a layer, I think of something that sits on top of (or below) the entire piece of content. Would it be more correct to call HDR10 a simple set of attributes attached to a movie? (the DV base layer also sounds similar in concept?)
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

sofakng wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:41 pm
Thanks so much for helping everybody with our questions and helping us better understand HDR/Dolby Vision!

I have another question or two as well...

What does regular HDR content (ie. HDR10?) look like (re: tracks/layers) compared to Dolby Vision?

Does regular HDR content (ie. HDR10?) have a Base Layer?

If you remove the Enhancement Layer (EL) from a Dolby Vision movie, are you left with a regular HDR10 movie?

I'm also confused because it seems like "HDR10" is just a simple set of about 20 pieces of data. (max brightness, etc) When I think of a layer, I think of something that sits on top of (or below) the entire piece of content. Would it be more correct to call HDR10 a simple set of attributes attached to a movie? (the DV base layer also sounds similar in concept?)
I think at this point it may be best for me to redirect you guys to what the pros have written rather than me regurgitating information and potentially missing key pieces. Here's a good source of information that should answer most of your questions:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=293133

Specifically, this post in that thread is also very informative: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php? ... tcount=119
devwadand

Post by devwadand »

After using MakeMKV and then demuxing the video track out to get the exact size of the HEVC file, i noticed that the newly combined HEVC file is about 1 percent smaller than if you demux both the HEVC tracks (Original and DV tracks) from the original source (mt2s) before using MakeMKV. Why is there data missing? I would assume that after combining the original and the DV into a single HEVC track that the track size would be almost identical in size to the additive sizes of the orignal source track and DV track.

Additonally, i noticed if both the HEVC tracks (Main and DV) are present from muxing them using MKVtoolnix to make a MKV file. Then aftwards using MakeMKV to process the DV track correctly that MakeMKV does not recognize that the DV is present and it is discarded and is not combined in the destination file.
eggy81

Post by eggy81 »

First time poster here. Firstly thanks to everyone for all the useful information. It is invaluable.

I would like to ask some question regarding my approach to this.

I usually encode my movies using ffmpeg to save space and have a successful encoding scheme to preserve as much detail as I can see whilst saving vast amounts of disk space. I have been doing so, whilst keeping HDR for a good while now and have started doing Dolby Vision since I got a new TV.

This is my steps:
MakeMKV - To create the MKV with the DV metadata in place
FFmpeg - Encode my file as before, losing the DV content in the process.
MKVToolNix - Combine my encoded mkv with the DV layer from the original rip
TSMuxer - Create iso (I have not been successful in using MakeMKV to rip and save DV layer without the ISO approach)
MakeMKV - Convert ISO into mkv again preserving the DV metadata.

This all works for me and I have successfully encoded my titles whilst maintain DV metadata.

Is the above approach correct? I have not been successful in finding a way for FFmpeg to preserve DV during the encoding step.

And to follow on from this I have read elsewhere that you should crop your movies if you want DV to work correctly? Is this correct, as it all seems to work for me as I'm only cropping the base layer and I leave the DV layer untouched.
gm23o

Post by gm23o »

Hi, when I try to rip a movie, I'm getting 2 almost identical options. 1 with chapters etc and 1 without. I thought that this was the dual layers and that when I clicked MakeMKV the 2 options would have been converted to 1. This was not the case and I was left with 2 separate MKV movies.
Was I supposed to delete the 1 with no chapters and if so, does that mean this method only results in single layer Dolby Vision. Am I supposed to use a different software after MakeMkv?? I thought MakeMkv was a 1 stop solution.
I'm new to this so pardon my ignorance if I'm totally off the mark here. Any Guidance will be much appreciated.
Mr_Orange

Post by Mr_Orange »

gm23o wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:03 pm
Hi, when I try to rip a movie, I'm getting 2 almost identical options. 1 with chapters etc and 1 without. I thought that this was the dual layers and that when I clicked MakeMKV the 2 options would have been converted to 1. This was not the case and I was left with 2 separate MKV movies.
Was I supposed to delete the 1 with no chapters and if so, does that mean this method only results in single layer Dolby Vision. Am I supposed to use a different software after MakeMkv?? I thought MakeMkv was a 1 stop solution.
I'm new to this so pardon my ignorance if I'm totally off the mark here. Any Guidance will be much appreciated.
Just ignore the file without chapters. If you look at the details, you will see that one is a .mt2s file and is a .mpls (playlist) file.

MakeMKV is a one-stop solution.
arrbee99

Post by arrbee99 »

Apologies if this has been asked a million times before, but these profile things (which I know nothing about)...

It seems there are DV profile 5 and DV profile 8 and maybe lots of others. Does 1.15.3 always make one particular profile or does it vary depending on I don't know what ?

Thanks.
Mr_Orange

Post by Mr_Orange »

arrbee99 wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:38 am
Apologies if this has been asked a million times before, but these profile things (which I know nothing about)...

It seems there are DV profile 5 and DV profile 8 and maybe lots of others. Does 1.15.3 always make one particular profile or does it vary depending on I don't know what ?

Thanks.
It is whatever is on the disc. I believe that most, if not all, UHDs are profile 7. Someone will correct me if I am wrong though.
arrbee99

Post by arrbee99 »

Thank you.
Spyderturbo007

Post by Spyderturbo007 »

I've read this entire thread, but didn't understand a lot of it. I've been trying to read up on Dolby Vision even though I don't have a compatible display. I want to start backing up my collection of 4k disks and don't want to have to do it a second time if and when I get a compatible display.

From what I saw in another thread, .MKV files now support Dolby Vision. But I see a lot of people using 4 or 5 programs to backup a disk. Is there something I'm missing if I can just use MakeMKV to rip the .MKV file?

I assumed if just use MakeMKV, the file would contain everything I needed (Dolby Vision, HDR10+, Atmos, etc). Perhaps I'm incorrect with that assumption?
gm23o

Post by gm23o »

Mr_Orange wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:22 am
gm23o wrote:
Just ignore the file without chapters. If you look at the details, you will see that one is a .mt2s file and is a .mpls (playlist) file.

Thanks, so simply just clicking makemkv for the the version with the chapters will leave me with dual layer dolby vision in a single mkv file.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Spyderturbo007 wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:50 pm
I've read this entire thread, but didn't understand a lot of it. I've been trying to read up on Dolby Vision even though I don't have a compatible display. I want to start backing up my collection of 4k disks and don't want to have to do it a second time if and when I get a compatible display.

From what I saw in another thread, .MKV files now support Dolby Vision. But I see a lot of people using 4 or 5 programs to backup a disk. Is there something I'm missing if I can just use MakeMKV to rip the .MKV file?

I assumed if just use MakeMKV, the file would contain everything I needed (Dolby Vision, HDR10+, Atmos, etc). Perhaps I'm incorrect with that assumption?
Correct. MakeMKV can create a MKV with HDR/DV/HDR10+. People use other programs as they want to play the movies now and their TV's/players can't always currently play the MKV file (yet)
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Mr_Orange

Post by Mr_Orange »

gm23o wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:05 pm
Mr_Orange wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:22 am
gm23o wrote:

Thanks, so simply just clicking makemkv for the the version with the chapters will leave me with dual layer dolby vision in a single mkv file.
Correct. If, for some reason, DV doesn't play, you will still get HDR10.
Roberespa

Post by Roberespa »

I have tried to create the Lord of the Rings with all the possible forms that are offered to me in the forum, the only one that worked was mp4.
With it I have Dolby Vision.

Just one more thing (if you are so kind to answer me):
Hevc1 and hevc2 can be merged directly from the system symbol to .mkv

If so, please send me the command. I'm desperate.

Thank you very much in advance.

Sincerely:
-Rober.