Flash Gordon 40th Anniversary 4K (Studio Canal)

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
pjarvi

Flash Gordon 40th Anniversary 4K (Studio Canal)

Post by pjarvi »

There is a thread for the regular Blu-ray having troubles but I figured I would open a thread for the 4K as well. Both the regular and 4K discs are failing to be read, resulting in a "no disc" error. I got my 4K to be read once out of 20 tries but it failed to open with debug/SCSI errors. Both discs are flawless, tried wiping them with a microfiber cloth as well. Has anyone gotten this disc to work?

Edit - Flash Gordon appears to have killed my drive: Asus BW-16D1HT. It's not reading any Blu-rays now, not even the last disc I ripped successfully. Tried rebooting and still not working.

Edit #2: Re-flashed the drive and it's ripping regular Blu-rays once again, will re-try Flash Gordon after getting through a few other discs.

Edit #3 - I tried after re-flashing and it failed again. I was reading another thread and saw people were having success with 4K's after flashing their Asus drives to the LG firmware, flashed my drive to the MK firmware for the WH16NS60 and it's now ripping with zero errors so far!
Last edited by pjarvi on Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
Woodstock

Re: Flash Gordon 40th Anniversary 4K (Studio Canal)

Post by Woodstock »

What version of MakeMKV are you running? When you tried to rip FG, did you get a message about "a newer version of AACS" and a file created in your MakeMKV data directory that starts with MKB and has Flash Gordon in the name?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
pjarvi

Post by pjarvi »

Woodstock wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:49 am
What version of MakeMKV are you running? When you tried to rip FG, did you get a message about "a newer version of AACS" and a file created in your MakeMKV data directory that starts with MKB and has Flash Gordon in the name?
Nope, no such file in: c:\users\username\appdata\.MakeMKV, should I check anywhere else? (Windows 10)
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If that's what is pointed to by Preferences->General->MakeMKV data directory, that would be the location.

Are there any other files in there that start with MKB? If so, what is the highest version number (after the _v in the file name)?

You description is what happens if a version of AACS newer than your MakeMKV version can handle.
pjarvi

Post by pjarvi »

Woodstock wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:06 am
If that's what is pointed to by Preferences->General->MakeMKV data directory, that would be the location.

Are there any other files in there that start with MKB? If so, what is the highest version number (after the _v in the file name)?

You description is what happens if a version of AACS newer than your MakeMKV version can handle.
I checked the MakeMKV settings to confirm the correct path (...\username\.MakeMKV), the only MKB file in there is: MKB20_v72_Onward_4D8C_.tgz
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Since you're ripping 4K UHD in the past, v72 AACS should be fine with your version of MakeMKV (1.15.x handles through v76).
jayb3369

Post by jayb3369 »

PJARVI, can you post the link to the firmware you used? I have the same drive and am having the same problem with the same disk Flash Gordon Gonna try your cross flash trick
Browneye9999

Post by Browneye9999 »

I had something similar to this happen, stuck the disc in the drive and it casued the drive to stop reading any further discs.

It was spewing out a lot of errors I had never seen makeMKV show before. I'm using Ver. 1.15.2

Thankfully it was fixed by a reboot, but strange never the less.
Paul Cordingley

Post by Paul Cordingley »

Same here. I have cleaned this disk to the point of wearing it thin. Plays perfectly in the Oppo, but simply will not be seen by the drive when trying to rip.
rec head

Post by rec head »

I had pretty much the same experience and needing to reboot. I have tried with both my LG and Asus drives.Has anyone had success?
Browneye9999

Post by Browneye9999 »

I finally got mine ripped after the key was added. There were no problems like the last time I had this in the drive.
Guanilo

Post by Guanilo »

Having this same issue. Any suggestions on how to resolve? UHD drive is a Pioneer BDR-XD07UHD connecting via USB
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I don't think any Pioneer drives work with MakeMKV to rip UHD discs. Is this the first 4K movie you've tried to rip?

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Guanilo

Post by Guanilo »

I was able to work with one 4k (Tenet), but the others I have tried have all failed.
pjarvi

Post by pjarvi »

It worked after I put the LG firmware on my Asus drive, ripped with zero errors, I put the Asus firmware back on after ripping it and haven't had any more problems. The firmware I used was WH16NS60. My drive is the ASUS BW-16D1HT.