Official Dolby Vision MKV spec support

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
DaveBinM

Official Dolby Vision MKV spec support

Post by DaveBinM »

Now that https://github.com/cellar-wg/matroska-s ... n/pull/390 has landed, mkv now has official, documented support for Dolby Vision in mkv, similar to what was already possible with MakeMKV. With this official spec now available, will MakeMKV be updating to use the official spec?
steffenmanden

Re: Official Dolby Vision MKV spec support

Post by steffenmanden »

DaveBinM wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:55 am
Now that https://github.com/cellar-wg/matroska-s ... n/pull/390 has landed, mkv now has official, documented support for Dolby Vision in mkv, similar to what was already possible with MakeMKV. With this official spec now available, will MakeMKV be updating to use the official spec?
Mike contributed to the talk. So it will be in as soon as he got time to do it!
DaveBinM

Post by DaveBinM »

Oh, I know, but I was thinking that asking here as to when it might happen was the better place :D
steffenmanden

Post by steffenmanden »

From a few private messages with mike, i know he is eager to get this out there! So i think the release will happen quite soon :)
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

He's been preoccupied with some of the SDF issues for LibreDrive but I believe he's been working on MakeMKV's next version. Hopefully that'll include DV MKV support, as well. I would bet "soon".
DaveBinM

Post by DaveBinM »

Yeah, once there is a version that includes the specced version of DV in MKV, then folks like Kodi & Plex can have a look at what's involved in supporting it. Really it's just a matter of having confirmation that X version is up to spec, and then samples can be generated and reviewed by whoever needs to look at them for different apps
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Yea, that'll be a happy day. Mike is surely aware of where things are at so I can't imagine it'd take too long.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

1.15.2 has the official support. Hopefully this means Plex can start looking at what it'll take to add support. :)
besson

Post by besson »

Stupid question, but if I want Dolby Vision support, do i need to re-rip all my UHD's?

Thanks
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

besson wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:06 pm
Stupid question, but if I want Dolby Vision support, do i need to re-rip all my UHD's?
Unfortunately, yes.

In theory 1.15.1 did preserve DV data, but was putting DV metadata in an intermediate format. And what's worse, 1.15.2 can't open its own generated MKV files (with respect to dolby vision). In theory, if you have a file made by 1.15.1, then you would be able to open such MKV file with 1.15.3 and save as "proper" MKV. You can't do this with 1.15.2 :(
besson

Post by besson »

mike admin wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:38 pm
besson wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:06 pm
Unfortunately, yes.

In theory 1.15.1 did preserve DV data, but was putting DV metadata in an intermediate format. And what's worse, 1.15.2 can't open its own generated MKV files (with respect to dolby vision). In theory, if you have a file made by 1.15.1, then you would be able to open such MKV file with 1.15.3 and save as "proper" MKV. You can't do this with 1.15.2 :(
So if i saved a backup using the feature in MakeMKV, I should be able to rip from that as well too right? Do you recommend holding off for 1.15.3 before I start pulling discs out and re-ripping?

Thanks so much for the response!
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

besson wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:05 pm
So if i saved a backup using the feature in MakeMKV, I should be able to rip from that as well too right?
Yes, backups are always like a source disc, everything is preserved, even if a backup was made by a two year old MakeMKV.
besson wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:05 pm
Do you recommend holding off for 1.15.3 before I start pulling discs out and re-ripping?
No, assuming 1.15.2 is all good and bug-free, you can do it now. The problem is that we don't know it yet - there is just no software to check with.
kweenie

Post by kweenie »

I tried a test re-rip with 1.15.2 and when playing the mkv on a M9702 (Chinoppo) only HDR is triggered. I also see only one video track in the mkv created, where with the profile 07.06 as detected in MAKEMKV, I expected 2 in the final mkv.

Maybe all of the 2 are expected?
jayper

Post by jayper »

kweenie wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:41 pm
I tried a test re-rip with 1.15.2 and when playing the mkv on a M9702 (Chinoppo) only HDR is triggered. I also see only one video track in the mkv created, where with the profile 07.06 as detected in MAKEMKV, I expected 2 in the final mkv.

Maybe all of the 2 are expected?
Both are expected at this point.

- There is no software out and available that can play MKVs with DV data. Kodi, Plex, etc will need to be updated.
- There will only be one video track in the resulting MKVs.
kweenie

Post by kweenie »

Thanks jayper. I followed or at least tried to follow this from the beginning, but there are so many technical details, where I had to give up.