Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
shawnc22

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by shawnc22 »

cipher wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:02 am
olevelo wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:44 pm
Wow, I literally just ripped Joker yesterday with 1.15! Guess I'll go back and do it again! Now to figure out how to play these...need to get a FAQ going to not wade through the other giant thread!
Good idea. The original thread had numerous posts of people using the wrong tool, tool version or processes which was leading to confusion every time one of these incorrect posts was added.

Given we're looking at a new approach, can someone confirm if the following is the current workflow for creating a DV file that can be played on our TV's:

1) Using MakeMKV, create an MKV file from the UHD disc (I'm assuming there is no need to first create the full disc anymore)
2) Remux the .MKV file to a .TS file using a specific version of Tsmuxer (this step is still a bit iffy to me, maybe shawnc22 can chime in with his steps)
3) Play the TS file directly off a storage device (eg USB Drive) connected to your DV TV or use a DV Supported streaming device like the Shield 2019 to play it via software like Plex.

I'm also assuming that this opens the possibility for software like Plex to add the ability for us to be able to play our DV based MKV's without having to convert them to TS first?
Pretty much but with a few caveats. If you also need want to mux in the lossless Atmos track into the TS container, you cannot go straight from the mkv file. You have to extract the atmos track from the mkv and add in an ac3 core with eac3to (not sure if this is a limitation of tsmuxer or the TS container spec in general). Just to summarize, here is a breakdown of the old existing workflow vs the new one one made possible by MakeMKV v1.15.1 for creating a DV + Atmos TS file that can be played on the 2019 Shield.

Old Method:

1) Create full decrypted folder backup using MakeMKV.
2) Extract BL and EL+RPU video tracks from main feature MPLS file using tsmuxer, eac3to, or ffmpeg.
3) Combine video tracks from previous step into a single track dual layer (BL+EL+RPU) file using yusecope's tool.
4) Add the new combined video track and the same MPLS file used in step 2) to tsmuxer (latest nightly version should work), uncheck the original separate video tracks, leave the Atmos audio track and any additional audio tracks you want to keep checked and then mux.

New possible method:

1) Create MKV backup using v1.15.1 of MakeMKV.
2) Extract and convert atmos track from MKV to thd+ac3 format using eac3to.
3) Add MKV and the extracted thd+ac3 atmos audio track to tsmuxer and mux.

Edit: If you choose to go with the full decrypted backup as the first step, you can still make use of the new mkv as a replacement for steps 2 and 3 in the original method. The video track in the mkv should now be the same as the result of yusecope's method.

If your final goal is a DV+Atmos TS file, both methods should lead you to the same result, and it's really just up to you on which archival method you prefer (full folder vs mkv). Hopefully playback softwares can develop support soon for the DV metainfo now kept in mkvs, and we can just do everything in one step :D
Last edited by shawnc22 on Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:54 am
cipher wrote:
olevelo wrote:
Wow, I literally just ripped Joker yesterday with 1.15! Guess I'll go back and do it again! Now to figure out how to play these...need to get a FAQ going to not wade through the other giant thread!
Good idea. The original thread had numerous posts of people using the wrong tool, tool version or processes which was leading to confusion every time one of these incorrect posts was added.

Given we're looking at a new approach, can someone confirm if the following is the current workflow for creating a DV file that can be played on our TV's:

1) Using MakeMKV, create an MKV file from the UHD disc (I'm assuming there is no need to first create the full disc anymore)
2) Remux the .MKV file to a .TS file using a specific version of Tsmuxer (this step is still a bit iffy to me, maybe shawnc22 can chime in with his steps)
3) Play the TS file directly off a storage device (eg USB Drive) connected to your DV TV or use a DV Supported streaming device like the Shield 2019 to play it via software like Plex.

I'm also assuming that this opens the possibility for software like Plex to add the ability for us to be able to play our DV based MKV's without having to convert them to TS first?
Pretty much but with a few caveats. If you also need want to mux in the lossless Atmos track into the TS container, you cannot go straight from the mkv file. You have to extract the atmos track from the mkv and add in an ac3 core with eac3to (not sure if this is a limitation of tsmuxer or the TS container spec in general). Just to summarize, here is a breakdown of the old existing workflow vs the new one one made possible by MakeMKV v1.15.1 for creating a DV + Atmos TS file that can be played on the 2019 Shield.

Old Method:

2) Extract BL and EL+RPU video tracks from main feature MPLS file using tsmuxer, eac3to, or ffmpeg.
3) Combine video tracks from previous step into a single track dual layer (BL+EL+RPU) file using yusecope's tool.
4) Add the new combined video track and the same MPLS file used in step 2) to tsmuxer (latest nightly version should work), uncheck the original separate video tracks, leave the Atmos audio track and any additional audio tracks you want to keep checked and then mux.

New possible method:

If your final goal is a DV+Atmos TS file, both methods should lead you to the same result, and it's really just up to you on which archival method you prefer (full folder vs mkv). Hopefully playback softwares can develop support soon for the DV metainfo now kept in mkvs, and we can just do everything in one step :D
Couldn't you just add the MKV to tsmuxer, deselect the audio track, then add the MPLS file to tsmuxer and select the ATMOS/AC3 audio track??
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:30 am
Couldn't you just add the MKV to tsmuxer, deselect the audio track, then add the MPLS file to tsmuxer and select the ATMOS/AC3 audio track??
Of course, but then you'd add in a step of making a full decrypted backup again just like in the old method instead of going straight to the mkv. In that case, making an mkv out of the decrypted back up can replace steps 2&3 of the old method.
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:54 am
cipher wrote:
olevelo wrote:

Old Method:

New possible method:

Is this due to a limitation in tsmuxer where it can't see the Atmos track? Before I saw this post I just started muxing to see what happens, and I notice that it doesn't have the Atmos/THD track listed.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:37 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:30 am
Of course, but then you'd add in a step of making a full decrypted backup again just like in the old method instead of going straight to the mkv. In that case, making an mkv out of the decrypted back up can replace steps 2&3 of the old method.
Yeah, it's not an additional step for me as I always back up to a decrypted folder first.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

Hmm, I re-ripped Joker, ran the latest nightly build of tsmuxer, but MediaInfo isn't showing DV on the TS file. I didn't do the Atmos track since I didn't see that step before I started muxing, but that shouldn't matter for the DV. Guess I'm missing something. Of note, the mkv is only 8 kB bigger than the first rip I did using the previous version of makemkv.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Mike, we need 1.15.2 please. :D Couldn't MakeMKV create the proper track when doing the MKV for ATMOS? Then it could just be added to TSMuxer and remuxed as is to a TS file. Right?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:01 am
Yeah, it's not an additional step for me as I always back up to a decrypted folder first.
Same! I have edited my post to include the possibility of the new mkv as a substitute for steps 2 and 3 of the original method.
olevelo wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:46 am
Is this due to a limitation in tsmuxer where it can't see the Atmos track? Before I saw this post I just started muxing to see what happens, and I notice that it doesn't have the Atmos/THD track listed.
I'm not sure honestly if it's a tsmuxer limitation or one with the ts container in general. As for the tsmuxer version, maybe go about 10 days back to an earlier nightly version to see if that makes a difference, or check for one of the linked ones in the other thread? I don't see any difference in any of the latest commits that should've affected anything.
SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:08 am
Mike, we need 1.15.2 please. :D Couldn't MakeMKV create the proper track when doing the MKV for ATMOS? Then it could just be added to TSMuxer and remuxed as is to a TS file. Right?
I'm wondering it's an MKV limitation to the type of atmos track that can be used? I know CloneBD produces the same kind of atmos track in a mkv. I've never tried mkvtoolnix, though, to see if it can produce an mkv with an atmos+ac3 core track.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:59 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:01 am
Same! I have edited my post to include the possibility of the new mkv as a substitute for steps 2 and 3 of the original method.
olevelo wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:46 am
I'm not sure honestly if it's a tsmuxer limitation or one with the ts container in general. As for the tsmuxer version, maybe go about 10 days back to an earlier nightly version to see if that makes a difference, or check for one of the linked ones in the other thread? I don't see any difference in any of the latest commits that should've affected anything.
SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:08 am
I'm wondering it's an MKV limitation to the type of atmos track that can be used? I know CloneBD produces the same kind of atmos track in a mkv. I've never tried mkvtoolnix, though, to see if it can produce an mkv with an atmos+ac3 core track.
Nope, mkvtoolnix also separates the tracks. Perhaps it is currently a MKV container limitation...
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

That's very possible, yes. Well, it's a little bit of extra work but still not too bad.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Goddamn this is AWESOME! Made an unprotected ISO of Joker (you'll see why in a sec). Created the MKV with MakeMKV. Opened TSMuxer and dropped the MKV onto it. Opened the mounted ISO's 800.mpls and added the audio track. Spit out a TS file, dropped it on my NAS. Plex picked it up and is now playing in Dolby Vision with ATMOS. Super brilliant and thanks to all who have been fighting this good fight!!
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:36 am
Goddamn this is AWESOME! Made an unprotected ISO of Joker (you'll see why in a sec). Created the MKV with MakeMKV. Opened TSMuxer and dropped the MKV onto it. Opened the mounted ISO's 800.mpls and added the audio track. Spit out a TS file, dropped it on my NAS. Plex picked it up and is now playing in Dolby Vision with ATMOS. Super brilliant and thanks to all who have been fighting this good fight!!
There's no direct way to go from original disk to unprotected iso, right? You'd have to make the decrypted full folder backup with makemkv and then iso it with imgburn? But have a fun remuxing your whole collection! it's all I've been doing the last month since the original method was settled upon :lol:. I'm just glad I kept all the decrypted folder backups of DV films from the very beginning.
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:36 am
Did MediaInfo show DV on the TS? Is there some setting in tsmuxer that's required? Not sure why it's not working for me.
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

Disregard, I'm an idiot! I downloaded the stable version of tsmuxer instead of the nightly build. Got the correct version, ran again, and now MediaInfo shows DV! Now I just gotta remember how to extract the Atmos track to mux back in. Problem is, the only current way I can play this is on my LG (if it plays TS files?), but that's actually pointless because I lose Lossless Audio that way anyway since it doesn't have eARC! Shoot. Guess I'm still stuck choosing between DV or Lossless.
cipher

Post by cipher »

olevelo wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:16 am
Guess I'm still stuck choosing between DV or Lossless.
Or picking up a 2019 Shield and getting both! :D