Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Dolbymaniac1

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by Dolbymaniac1 »

Okay guys,so I run into an issue,so I bought new tv recently Philips 58pus8505,I've installed Kodi with elementum and wanted to stream some 4K hdr torrents,but too bad due to tv firmware issues Hdr content looks pathedic,sdr is ok,well,then I tried to play some 4K dolby vision files,I've downloaded some dv files and opened them with integrated media player,the video was purple and green,wtf,then I've played same file with other players,vlc,exoplayer,plex,all output that file in hdr but not in dv,its either shitty dv in internal player or hdr in any other player,well turned out there are single layer and dual layer dv video types,and fore some reason none players that I've tried can play dual layer dv files,so my question is,how can I play bdremux or dual layer dv file on my android tv? Btw converting 80gb dual layer dv file to single layer mp4 dv file is not an option on my 200gb laptop.

Those are photos I made:
https://ibb.co/cQFtFZQ
https://ibb.co/zxh56RP
https://ibb.co/YN5YTR6
https://ibb.co/VtKgxsm
https://ibb.co/0qqZGXJ
https://ibb.co/ys7Rr2J
https://ibb.co/KDGxYmG
lucian13

Post by lucian13 »

extranet wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:14 pm
lucian13 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:35 am
There is a lot of info in this thread but I wanted to post what works for me after initially creating dolby vision mp4's once the mp4muxer
The experience of being able to use the shield pro for my dolby vision encodes (mkv) over the sony x700 dolby vision encodes (mp4) is more than i ever expected!!

So, thank you to yusesope, mike admin, and everyone who helped with testing and feedback to move this project forward.
Agreed. I've did a backup rip of a DV film and it works. No more DVDFab :) I'm just trying a standard movie rip now to see if that also works.
My only slight caveat is that an Oppo device plays the audio with a touch better quality. Maybe this is obvious but the same applies to a PC using ASIO. I don't know if the issue is Kodi or the Shield itself. Either way, happy days :)

Now that Makemkv keeps "all" the DV information I'm going to have to re-rip all of my DV discs. That's going to take a while.
@extranet, it took me a few weeks just to get the Atmos/DTS:X tracks, subs, and chapters for my dolby vision mkv's. The only issue i have come across is with Saving Private Ryan, a lot of "flickering" during the scenes after they first leave the beaches in search of Private Ryan. But a few issues here and there is well worth it to have my entire DV library encoded and working with Atmos/DTS:X!!
JavierAlbadalejo

Post by JavierAlbadalejo »

I hear a version of Kodi 19 Matrix currently in beta and almost out of it is able to finally play dynamic DV files, but I have installed such version and everything I had with DV, plays as standard HDR. Did I do anything wrong? I have a Shield 2019 Pro so that should not be the issue

I took on the v19 RC1 of Kodi because it supposedly plays DV, but I gave it a try, played my DV MKV's, m2ts.. nothing.. did I perhaps pick the wrong version of Matrix?
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Greetings to you all. I would like to ask what it looks like now playing with Dolby Vision movies in mkv in Zidoo z9x. Does FEL and MEL play it? I have a Shield for 2019 and I'm considering buying a Zidoo z9x if it pays off. SHIELD plays just fine FEL and MEL. I read that the Zidoo z9x has better colors. Thank you for your help.
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

JavierAlbadalejo wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:52 pm
I hear a version of Kodi 19 Matrix currently in beta and almost out of it is able to finally play dynamic DV files, but I have installed such version and everything I had with DV, plays as standard HDR. Did I do anything wrong? I have a Shield 2019 Pro so that should not be the issue

I took on the v19 RC1 of Kodi because it supposedly plays DV, but I gave it a try, played my DV MKV's, m2ts.. nothing.. did I perhaps pick the wrong version of Matrix?
Kodi doesn't support MKVs yet, there are just custom builds.
JavierAlbadalejo

Post by JavierAlbadalejo »

I see now. It doesn't seem to support .m2ts either. I don't have as many personal MKV backups as I'd like, yet.
letsferko

Post by letsferko »

Hi everyone!

I've been long reading this thread about the local DV capabilities, and I've got an Ugoos Am6Plus just because of this. Not the Shield, since I love Coreelec and it can remain used for other videos without DV. (And also in hope that DV playback will be implemented sooner or later in Coreelec)

But now I am quite disappointed as I cannot get it to work with Kodi. :D

I have Kodi 19 RC 1 installed on the Ugoos AM6Plus and I have installed the "high-praised" Exoplayer_Chapters_Support_03_08_2020_no_debug.apk modified exoplayer apk, created the playercorefactory.xml, moved it to Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata and restarted Kodi.

I get the "play with" submenu by long pressing the select button, and exoplayer starts, but it gives me "Playback failed" every time. I've realized this is a common issue, so I've been pressing play button like a hundred times, going back, starting again, and nothing changes. All these files I've been trying to play are placed in my local storage folder.

Then I started the exoplayer demo to see the demo files playing and I got the same error, until I found in the upper right corner the "Prefer extension decoders" option.

If this is enabled, all demo files play fine in the demo app, DV gets triggered on my Philips 50PUS6704 Tv! :o

So my question here is, am I missing something? Is the whole exoplayer-solution only compatible with Shields? Can I somehow force this option I found to make the playercorefactory.xml to call the exoplayer with these options? Do I need an other modified apk for Ugoos?

Hope you can help me, since I can feel it, I am only one step away from enjoying DV in its full glory :mrgreen:
extranet

Post by extranet »

dysprosium wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:22 am
extranet wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:09 pm
magnetoeric wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:06 pm

Well you have the best player capable of playing DV content without any hassle :wink: But shield is currently the only device capable of playing DV in mkv with lossless audio. So I don't really mind these small issues.
Sorry what do you mean? I just told you that:
extranet wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:12 pm
..it plays Dolby Vision backups with Atmos or DTS:x with zero issues and better audio quality.
Atmos, True-HD, DTS:x and DTS-HD are all lossless codecs. :?
I don't think the Oppo is able to play DV+lossless audio in .mkv format, which is what magnetoeric meant. What format are the files you're playing on the Oppo clone, that you're getting DV+lossless audio with?

As an aside, Atmos is not a lossless codec, nor is DTS-HD. Atmos is object metadata that can be delivered atop a lossy Dolby Digital Plus signal (which is what Netflix et al use for Atmos) or a lossless Dolby TrueHD signal. There are two types of DTS-HD, both extensions on the lossy DTS core. DTS-HD HR is still lossy but is similar to what DD+ adds compared to DD; higher bitrate and better compression. Only DTS-HD MA is lossless. I'm not sure if DTS:X is always lossless or can be delivered via a lossy stream like Atmos can.
Yeah you're right about Atmos and the DTS-HD MA. Silly errors :)
extranet

Post by extranet »

magnetoeric wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:21 am
extranet wrote:
magnetoeric wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:06 pm

Well you have the best player capable of playing DV content without any hassle :wink: But shield is currently the only device capable of playing DV in mkv with lossless audio. So I don't really mind these small issues.
Sorry what do you mean? I just told you that:
extranet wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:12 pm
..it plays Dolby Vision backups with Atmos or DTS:x with zero issues and better audio quality.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I said shield is currently the only player which can play dual layer DV with lossless audio in mkv container. I too would've bought oppo clone if it was easily available for purchase Image

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
I thought Makemkv created dual layer DV files within MKVs? Anyway the Oppo can play the DV file that Makemkv produces flawlessly :) I still struggle to get my Shield playing anything DV, mainly because my files are on the network. Kodi's internal player works fine but doesn't play DV files. Exoplayer may play DV files but they have problems finding files on a network. I did some troubleshooting using Kodi logs and it looks like the wrong info is passed to the player. I read somewhere that SMB can work but I've spent too much time trying to get external players to play network files. Anyway, my Oppo finds them and plays them with better audio. Kodi 19 seems to have it's own audio interface now so I might compare them again one day, especially if I can get external players working.
cheatah

Post by cheatah »

extranet wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:57 pm
magnetoeric wrote:
extranet wrote: Sorry what do you mean? I just told you that:

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I said shield is currently the only player which can play dual layer DV with lossless audio in mkv container. I too would've bought oppo clone if it was easily available for purchase Image

I thought Makemkv created dual layer DV files within MKVs? Anyway the Oppo can play the DV file that Makemkv produces flawlessly :) I still struggle to get my Shield playing anything DV, mainly because my files are on the network. Kodi's internal player works fine but doesn't play DV files. Exoplayer may play DV files but they have problems finding files on a network. I did some troubleshooting using Kodi logs and it looks like the wrong info is passed to the player. I read somewhere that SMB can work but I've spent too much time trying to get external players to play network files. Anyway, my Oppo finds them and plays them with better audio. Kodi 19 seems to have it's own audio interface now so I might compare them again one day, especially if I can get external players working.
May I ask you which Exoplayer app you are talking about. Is it directly on tv or via mediaplayer? If you are playing it directly on TV could you upload the apk of Exoplayer, or is it a mod? Thank you in advance.

Edit: I haven't read all the posts but from what I read, there is no one able to play DV on sony xf9005 series. Today i was playing around Plex app and trying to watch LOTR Two Towers 4K Single Layer DV (mkv), all of a sudden dolby vision banner popped up on the upper right corner and after looking to picture settings I saw this.

But it isn't working properly on every single layer DV file, i tried first and third movies it didn't work, but on two towers it is always working. If there are people with the same series TVs, we are getting there, a few updates to wait.
Last edited by cheatah on Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
extranet

Post by extranet »

cheatah wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:17 pm
extranet wrote:
magnetoeric wrote:

May I ask you which Exoplayer app you are talking about. Is it directly on tv or via mediaplayer? If you are playing it directly on TV could you upload the apk of Exoplayer, or is it a mod? Thank you in advance.
There are links I and others have provided in this thread :)
dysprosium

Post by dysprosium »

extranet wrote:
I thought Makemkv created dual layer DV files within MKVs? Anyway the Oppo can play the DV file that Makemkv produces flawlessly :)
What file format are you ripping to, to get the Oppo to play the DV file makemkv produces flawlessly (I assume you mean with DV and lossless audio)? Is it .mkv or a full folder backup? As far as I know, the Oppo doesn't play single track dual layer DV .mkv files in DV, only HDR10/HDR10+.
extranet

Post by extranet »

dysprosium wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:07 pm
extranet wrote:
I thought Makemkv created dual layer DV files within MKVs? Anyway the Oppo can play the DV file that Makemkv produces flawlessly :)
What file format are you ripping to, to get the Oppo to play the DV file makemkv produces flawlessly (I assume you mean with DV and lossless audio)? Is it .mkv or a full folder backup? As far as I know, the Oppo doesn't play single track dual layer DV .mkv files in DV, only HDR10/HDR10+.
Yep. All audio types with DV. Disk backup.
joaopedro000

Post by joaopedro000 »

I am using this app to play DV MKVs in a Android TV:
https://github.com/moneytoo/Player/releases

It uses latest exoplayer version and it always has periodic updates.

100% of mp4 profile 5 works.

Only some profile 7 doesn't works for me in this app, like Game Of Thrones and Marvel Movies.
alestew

Post by alestew »

joaopedro000 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:48 am
I am using this app to play DV MKVs in a Android TV:
https://github.com/moneytoo/Player/releases

It uses latest exoplayer version and it always has periodic updates.

100% of mp4 profile 5 works.

Only some profile 7 doesn't works for me in this app, like Game Of Thrones and Marvel Movies.
I have tried this application on Sony Xh90 and it doesn't work well, it doesn't work when I try to open the movies folder, it doesn't do anything, neither the online nor the offline version