Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
userr

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by userr »

morbius wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:36 am
Looking back on the last few posts, I wonder if, among the devices on the market that run official versions of the major streaming apps, a device exists that is even as good as the ATV in terms of framerate matching, never mind better? Notwithstanding the lack of 24.000 support, the ATV auto-matches to all the mainstream consumer refresh rates (including BBC iPlayer, outputting 50Hz automatically). The Shield does not do this, and nor did the Firestick when I briefly owned one. I've watched a lot of films from Disney+ with Atmos passthrough to my AVR and had absolutely no issues. So as a streaming platform, it's not clear to me if anything out there matches it with official apps?
atv4K is indeed really good, if it had 24fps support and more profiles then 5 DV, it would win it all easy imo
morbius

Post by morbius »

atv4K is indeed really good, if it had 24fps support and more profiles then 5 DV, it would win it all easy imo
The ATV4K does seem to be frustratingly close to being a killer device. I would add passthrough of hi-res audio to the wishlist so that mkv players don't have to decode to PCM, but for Netflix etc it seems hard to beat. Based on the comments from @glc650 I took a look at some Netflix Originals via an unofficial Kodi app, and was surprised by the variety of refresh rates. Some originals are 23.976 but as advised, some are 24.000. While a Kodi app can give me exact 24.000 playback when relevant, it can't give me 4K, so I would take the ATV's 4K feed at an "incorrect" 23.976 over the downscaled 24.000 from Kodi. If anyone knows how to get 4K 24.000 from Netflix to a regular AVR, I would be curious to know how.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

morbius wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:45 pm
The ATV4K does seem to be frustratingly close to being a killer device. I would add passthrough of hi-res audio to the wishlist so that mkv players don't have to decode to PCM, but for Netflix etc it seems hard to beat. Based on the comments from @glc650 I took a look at some Netflix Originals via an unofficial Kodi app, and was surprised by the variety of refresh rates. Some originals are 23.976 but as advised, some are 24.000. While a Kodi app can give me exact 24.000 playback when relevant, it can't give me 4K, so I would take the ATV's 4K feed at an "incorrect" 23.976 over the downscaled 24.000 from Kodi. If anyone knows how to get 4K 24.000 from Netflix to a regular AVR, I would be curious to know how.
There's a third party refresh rate app that you can load on the Shield that'll let you manually set the refresh rate at any time through a hot key. It's not ideal, but if you know whether a shows 24 or 23.976, you can change it on the fly.
morbius

Post by morbius »

There's a third party refresh rate app that you can load on the Shield that'll let you manually set the refresh rate at any time through a hot key. It's not ideal, but if you know whether a shows 24 or 23.976, you can change it on the fly.
thanks, I took a look at that, jumped through a few hoops and got it to work in a very flaky way with Netflix, no joy with Disney+. Appreciate this is not the Shield forum, but In usability terms this is so far behind the ATV it's a joke. I can live without 24.0 and enjoy the ATV's framerate matching for all other content.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

morbius wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:08 pm
thanks, I took a look at that, jumped through a few hoops and got it to work in a very flaky way with Netflix, no joy with Disney+. Appreciate this is not the Shield forum, but In usability terms this is so far behind the ATV it's a joke. I can live without 24.0 and enjoy the ATV's framerate matching for all other content.
It's been mentioned on the Shield forums before and I can't find it at the moment, but I think unfortunately it's an OS limitation of Android to not be able to have global framerate matching. The dev team did try to compensate for it through the beta option that's available, but as you have seen, it's somewhat hit or miss depending on the app. More recent versions of Android did apparently address it in their release notes, but the Shield still runs a very customized older version of Android, so it may take some time before the base OS on the Shield is updated.
extranet

Post by extranet »

morbius wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:08 pm
Frame Rate matching is currently a Beta feature on the Shield so it does exist right now and has done for about couple of months.
morbius

Post by morbius »

Frame Rate matching is currently a Beta feature on the Shield so it does exist right now and has done for about couple of months.
thanks, yes I have tried that and it almost always crashes playback. Also, even if it worked, having to access a match framerate button in-play every time would get old very quickly :-)
JavierAlbadalejo

Post by JavierAlbadalejo »

Playback seems fine on my Nvidia Shield Pro 2019, the only issue being that there's a bug that makes the DV/Atmos trigger of my TV appear and reappear often.
magnetoeric

Post by magnetoeric »

JavierAlbadalejo wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:19 am
Playback seems fine on my Nvidia Shield Pro 2019, the only issue being that there's a bug that makes the DV/Atmos trigger of my TV appear and reappear often.
Same. This often happens with movies containing truehd track I think. Because I don't remember this happening with DTS-HD MA tracks.
extranet

Post by extranet »

magnetoeric wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:29 pm
JavierAlbadalejo wrote:
Same. This often happens with movies containing truehd track I think. Because I don't remember this happening with DTS-HD MA tracks.
I used to use DVDFab but I have now re-ripped most of my DV discs using Makemkv. I couldn't get my 2017 Shield to play DV backups with DV, so I got the Oppo clone. I still can't get my 2019 Shield to play DV stuff but tbh it's no longer worth the hassle for me to try. As much as I hate the Oppo barebones UI, it plays Dolby Vision backups with Atmos or DTS:x with zero issues and better audio quality.
magnetoeric

Post by magnetoeric »

extranet wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:12 pm
magnetoeric wrote:
JavierAlbadalejo wrote:
I used to use DVDFab but I have now re-ripped most of my DV discs using Makemkv. I couldn't get my 2017 Shield to play DV backups with DV, so I got the Oppo clone. I still can't get my 2019 Shield to play DV stuff but tbh it's no longer worth the hassle for me to try. As much as I hate the Oppo barebones UI, it plays Dolby Vision backups with Atmos or DTS:x with zero issues and better audio quality.
Well you have the best player capable of playing DV content without any hassle :wink: But shield is currently the only device capable of playing DV in mkv with lossless audio. So I don't really mind these small issues.
extranet

Post by extranet »

magnetoeric wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:06 pm
extranet wrote:
magnetoeric wrote:

Well you have the best player capable of playing DV content without any hassle :wink: But shield is currently the only device capable of playing DV in mkv with lossless audio. So I don't really mind these small issues.
Sorry what do you mean? I just told you that:
extranet wrote:
..it plays Dolby Vision backups with Atmos or DTS:x with zero issues and better audio quality.
Atmos, True-HD, DTS:x and DTS-HD are all lossless codecs. :?
dysprosium

Post by dysprosium »

extranet wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:09 pm
magnetoeric wrote:
extranet wrote:

extranet wrote:
..it plays Dolby Vision backups with Atmos or DTS:x with zero issues and better audio quality.
I don't think the Oppo is able to play DV+lossless audio in .mkv format, which is what magnetoeric meant. What format are the files you're playing on the Oppo clone, that you're getting DV+lossless audio with?

As an aside, Atmos is not a lossless codec, nor is DTS-HD. Atmos is object metadata that can be delivered atop a lossy Dolby Digital Plus signal (which is what Netflix et al use for Atmos) or a lossless Dolby TrueHD signal. There are two types of DTS-HD, both extensions on the lossy DTS core. DTS-HD HR is still lossy but is similar to what DD+ adds compared to DD; higher bitrate and better compression. Only DTS-HD MA is lossless. I'm not sure if DTS:X is always lossless or can be delivered via a lossy stream like Atmos can.
Last edited by dysprosium on Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
magnetoeric

Post by magnetoeric »

extranet wrote:
magnetoeric wrote:
extranet wrote:
extranet wrote:
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I said shield is currently the only player which can play dual layer DV with lossless audio in mkv container. I too would've bought oppo clone if it was easily available for purchase Image

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

magnetoeric

Post by magnetoeric »

dysprosium wrote:
extranet wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:09 pm
magnetoeric wrote:
extranet wrote:
I don't think the Oppo is able to play DV+lossless audio in .mkv format, which is what extranet meant. What format are the files you're playing on the Oppo clone, that you're getting DV+lossless audio with?

As an aside, Atmos is not a lossless codec, nor is DTS-HD. Atmos is object metadata that can be delivered atop a lossy Dolby Digital Plus signal (which is what Netflix et al use for Atmos) or a lossless Dolby TrueHD signal. There are two types of DTS-HD, both extensions on the lossy DTS core. DTS-HD HR is still lossy but is similar to what DD+ adds compared to DD; more channels and better compression. Only DTS-HD MA is lossless. I'm not sure if DTS:X is always lossless or can be delivered via a lossy stream like Atmos can.
Iirc, sony players support them in m2ts. But I don't know whether dual layer DV works.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk