Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Liersi

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by Liersi »

kcxserver wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:57 pm
For 24hz, simply activate the refresh rate app for the Exoplayer APK.
This is where I'm stuck atm. Is the external switcher app the only way to adjust display refresh for Exo? I've been trying to find commandline arguments for external players, but couldn't find anything. Will try the app in the meantime, thanks!
Pmaw10

Post by Pmaw10 »

Mortenjorstad wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:11 pm
Thank you for the exoplayer apk. IT workes fine on kodi. My question is there any settings in kodi to make exoplayer the default player.
Follow the instructions posted earlier for the playercorefactory.xml.

If you want to go a step further and use the default Kodi player for everything and use ExoPlayer for Dolby VIsion mkv's only, you can add a rule in the XML to tell Kodi to use ExoPlayer when playing videos with Dolby Vision in the name (or however you label your mkv's). I for instance have "Dolby.Vision" in all my DV rips file names. So My XML looks like this:

<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="ExoPlayer" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>com.google.android.exoplayer2.demo</filename>
<hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
<playcountminimumtime>120</playcountminimumtime>
</player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<rule video="true" player="dvdplayer">
<rule filename=".*Dolby.Vision.*" player="ExoPlayer"/>
</rule>
</rules>
</playercorefactory>
ragico

Post by ragico »

mulucy wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:33 pm
ragico wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:56 pm
Some updates:
In shield I have enabled dlna in kodi service settings and use Plex server as storage. It works as intented and no necessity anymore to mount my nas directly in shield.

I have also tried the same in Ugoos Am6 plus and got same results as in shield. DV works flawlessly but atmos is not triggered, This is at moment a Ugoos limit. I compared the colours from shield and from Ugoos on my Gz2000 and can say that I do not had the red push from Ugoos, maybe I am wrong and can be a placebo effect.

Mike, yusesope and shawnc22 you are fantastic guys.>Thank you again :D :D :D :D :D
Which DV profiles does Ugoos Plus support?
Ts profile 4 and 5
And now this mkv profile 7
dysprosium

Post by dysprosium »

This is great progress; thanks to mike, yusesope, and everyone else involved.
ragico wrote:
I have also tried the same in Ugoos Am6 plus and got same results as in shield. DV works flawlessly but atmos is not triggered, This is at moment a Ugoos limit. I compared the colours from shield and from Ugoos on my Gz2000 and can say that I do not had the red push from Ugoos, maybe I am wrong and can be a placebo effect.
ragico, I am trying to understand any differences in UHD BRrip playback capabilities between the AM6 Plus and the Nvidia Shield Pro 2019, so I think you are the best person to ask about this.

1. I found two places online saying that DTS-HD MA/TrueHD should work from Android on the AM6 Plus; have you seen the instructions here or here (on unofficial AndroidTV ROM)?
2. Are you having any success on the AM6 Plus with the modified Exoplayer apk on any FEL DV titles in mkv (e.g. 1917)? Do they play at all, and if they do, is it a 1:1 replica of the UHD BR video quality or is the EL data being ignored in some way?

And to any Shield Pro 2019 owners using the HDFury DV red push fix:
3. We now know that FEL DV titles play from mkv, but is it a 1:1 replica of the UHD BR video quality or is the EL data being ignored in some way?
Liersi

Post by Liersi »

Liersi wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:35 pm
kcxserver wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:57 pm
For 24hz, simply activate the refresh rate app for the Exoplayer APK.
This is where I'm stuck atm. Is the external switcher app the only way to adjust display refresh for Exo? I've been trying to find commandline arguments for external players, but couldn't find anything. Will try the app in the meantime, thanks!
The tool works well, no need for another solution. Cheers for mentioning that!
djbuddha

Post by djbuddha »

ragico wrote:
Some updates:
In shield I have enabled dlna in kodi service settings and use Plex server as storage. It works as intented and no necessity anymore to mount my nas directly in shield.

Mike, yusesope and shawnc22 you are fantastic guys.>Thank you again :D :D :D :D :D
THANK YOU!!!!
SamuriHL wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:12 am
I just watched them a month ago on my HTPC tone mapped with madvr. Didn't think they were DV for some reason. So I guess I will need to rewatch them on the Shield after I rerip them. :) Oh darn. LOL Yes, getting SMB to work would be nice for you. Of course having the new speed control on my NS60's is nice for reripping these discs. The Matrix took 25 minutes. Working on the second one now.
I ripped all mine last night and if you look above- DLNA WORKS FOR ME TOO!!!!!
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

ragico wrote:
Some updates:

Can you give this sample from Saving Private Ryan a try on your Ugoos to see if it flickers throughout the scene like it does on the Shield?

https://mega.nz/file/8XZljQgZ#P2xzsRWST ... 5fCW9zZa_8
Redhawk2000

Post by Redhawk2000 »

Not as tech savvy as some. Tried one of the new rips via USB on an LG C9 but just got HDR10 and no audio.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

If you're trying to play it on the LG C9 with the internal player, it will almost assuredly never support DV in an MKV container.
Redhawk2000

Post by Redhawk2000 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:49 pm
If you're trying to play it on the LG C9 with the internal player, it will almost assuredly never support DV in an MKV container.
Thanks. That explains it.
djbuddha

Post by djbuddha »

Random thought (albeit unlikely)

I wonder if you can install the Plex addon and alter the default player. It’d be a great workaround while Plex figures out how to implement the new spec for DV.

Again, insanely unlikely but fun to think about lol.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

You can't. They use exoplayer as a shell for their playback but everything they do is either tied to ffmpeg or custom code they've written. Overriding the player, even if you somehow could, would break almost everything about Plex.
djbuddha

Post by djbuddha »

SamuriHL wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:53 pm
You can't. They use exoplayer as a shell for their playback but everything they do is either tied to ffmpeg or custom code they've written. Overriding the player, even if you somehow could, would break almost everything about Plex.
I should have specified, I meant within Kodi. There is a Plex addon and it uses Kodi’s default player from my understanding (that’s why some use it because it stops the server from transcoding some other file types- on the shield it doesn’t apply as the shield plays almost everything natively in Plex) but it’s interesting .. gonna mess around when I get home, even though it probably won’t work at all lol
Liersi

Post by Liersi »

I've been testing all my files and have encountered some odd behaviour. When just using ExoPlayer, it all works most of the time. Sometimes playback will fail, but you can just hit play again, or stop and play again and it will play fine. This is without refresh rate adjustment.

When using the refresh rate tool, this setup is even more touchy. There's a tug-of-war going on when native 24fps content is played, as opposed to native 23.976 content. ExoPlayer seems to always start in 23.976 mode this way, then has to switch to 24 which fails playback. When I hit play again as usual it switches back to 23.976, which triggers the refresh rate tool to switch it back to 24 (because the file is a straight 24), which fails playback again etc, ad infinitum. Native 23.976 content always plays, because there's no switch back to 24.

24fps files with LPCM play fine for some reason. DTSHD-MA worked once, Atmos never. 24fps + DV + Atmos gets caught in an infinite switching and resyncing loop when using the refresh rate tool on my setup. Could be something in my setup, but I'm putting it here in case someone experiences something similar.
djbuddha

Post by djbuddha »

SamuriHL wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:53 pm
IT'S WORKING. :shock:

I'm going to throw a video in dropbox outlining how I did it.

Plex with Dolby Vision it ALMOST perfectly working with Kodi ... this is insane.