Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
flostie

Re: Dolby Vision and 1.15.1

Post by flostie »

Hey guys,

i hope im right here. I have a philips OLED since two weeks and try to figure out how to get DV and atmos working for local files. I have downloaded the given example on page 60 or something like this but it doesnt trigger Dolby Vision at all. On Netflix it works but not with local files. I tried Kodi, same thing. VLC also nothing. Just(Video)Player also nothing. With this file i get standdard HDR Signal with some movies that lay on my NAS i get HDR10+ Signal. Do you Guys have any tip for me? Or you need some more information? This all i try via my Android TV. I dont have a shield, but it shouldnt make that difference if iam right.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

flostie wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:05 am
Hey guys,

i hope im right here. I have a philips OLED since two weeks and try to figure out how to get DV and atmos working for local files. I have downloaded the given example on page 60 or something like this but it doesnt trigger Dolby Vision at all. On Netflix it works but not with local files. I tried Kodi, same thing. VLC also nothing. Just(Video)Player also nothing. With this file i get standdard HDR Signal with some movies that lay on my NAS i get HDR10+ Signal. Do you Guys have any tip for me? Or you need some more information? This all i try via my Android TV. I dont have a shield, but it shouldnt make that difference if iam right.
Here is a big read for you. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18602
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
flostie

Post by flostie »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:07 pm
flostie wrote:
Hey guys,

Here is a big read for you. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18602
Thank you, ill give it a try. But im sure that the Dolby demo pack i used is made like this. But i will make my own again :)
DEJ710

Post by DEJ710 »

Hi @Yordan5 Try the setting in tsMuxeR on the General tab called Generate HDMV compatible TS
Yordan5

Post by Yordan5 »

DEJ710 wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:17 am
Hi @Yordan5 Try the setting in tsMuxeR on the General tab called Generate HDMV compatible TS
Thank you for the pointer.
darrrkmanxxx

Post by darrrkmanxxx »

flostie wrote:
Hey guys,

I have 65olded934 from 2019 without earc, so my tv doesn't support truhd but atmos and dolby vision.

Here are your options:

Vimu apk, which plays dolby vision profiles 7, 8 and 5

Plex, which plays atmos tracks if they are in e-ac-3
and also profile 7, 8 and 5
However plex dolby vision is very dependable on direct play, means if there's some of transcoding (also audio) happening the dolby vision data will be skipped and it revert back to just hdr.
e.g. if I play a dolby vision file with a truhd+atmos audio track the dynamic metadata of the video will be skipped unless I choose plain ac3 or a dts audio track, which can be played without transcoding.

Also they (plex guys) stopped supporting dolby vision profile 7 a while ago, so it can je played only with an old version, here I opened a thread about this: https://forums.plex.tv/t/mkv-dolby-visi ... -13/709687
Not sure what they are smoking over there.
But this is not huge problem since you can convert every dv profile to 8 with dovi tools. You can even wrap every hdr movie in dolby vision with mdvr, disney+ style ;)
Godmax

Post by Godmax »

I've converted a few Dolby Vision mkvs to m2ts and it worked. But now more and more dont work and produce gray bars. Why is that? I've tried a few tsmuxer versions but it doesnt work.
What could be the prob here?

I am playing the m2ts files with a Oppo 203.
JoseTheBae

Post by JoseTheBae »

yusesope wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:44 pm
Hi testers!
Today it was really too hot...that's why I spent a few hours coding with the aim of implementing chapters support (for mkv files only).
The code is very "basic" (to say the least :lol:) and I hope it works properly!
Furthermore, if you open the app directly, you can play the test files that mike has made available.

HERE you can find the new apk.

Let me know!
How can I get Kodi to use the ExoPlayer for all videos?

Update: I set ExoPlayer as the default player, but unfortunately, playback was not very smooth, even though it processed the Full Enhancement Layer. Is there some newer ExoPlayer build we can download?
djgarygillespie

Post by djgarygillespie »

I'm a newbie and not sure if I'm posting this in the right location.
I just started ripping my 4K disc, and noticed they all have a duplicate mpegH HEVC Main10@L5.1 (dvhe.07.06 BL+FEL+RPU) file.
The only difference I see between them, one has chapters and one doesn't. I don't know why the they would use the disc space for this, so can some tell me what the differences are, and which one I should rip?

jayper

Post by jayper »

In most cases, the video and audio content isn't duplicated, so it is not a waste of space on the disc.

The content on a BD/UHD listed out by MakeMKV are either playlists, or individual m2ts files. A playlist, does exactly what it sounds like, it is a list of files (m2ts) to play and in what order.

In the case of the Halloween disc that you have in your screenshot, the playlist file (the one with chapters) is likely comprised of just one m2ts file. So the content wouldn't be duplicated. All the video and audio data is stored in the one m2ts file.

If you highlight each of the track (what you labeled as 1 and 2), look in the right pane of MakeMKV. Under the title information you'll see "Segment Count" and "Segment Map." The count tells you how many of the m2ts files that comprise the playlist, and the map tells you which files and the order they will play. Again, in your case, I would expect the count to be 1 and the title listed in the map to be the same.

In some cases, discs use what is called: seamless branching, this will allow multiple versions (think rated and unated cuts of a film), to be present on the same disc. The film can different m2ts files mixed in while the film is playing, based on the selected playlist.

Regarding which version for you to select, if my assumption is correct, that the segment maps match, then you should select 1, as it has the chapter markers. As you said, everything else is the same. Hope that helps.
djgarygillespie

Thank you jayper! I somewhat get it now, but just to clarify here are the Title Infos:

The Segment count & maps and file names are different, but I guess that's because they are different playlist? The Source file names appear to be the same mpls(1) being a duplicate, so it looks like I just need to uncheck the duplicate playlist and I'm good.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

djgarygillespie wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:27 pm
The Segment count & maps and file names are different, but I guess that's because they are different playlist? The Source file names appear to be the same mpls(1) being a duplicate, so it looks like I just need to uncheck the duplicate playlist and I'm good.
If the segment maps are different then they're different.

As jayper said, the segment map is the list of .m2ts files that make up the playlist. If you were to make a decrypted backup of the disc with MakeMKV and look in the BDMV/STREAM folder inside the backup, you'd find a bunch of files named something like 00005.m2ts (the file names are always #####.m2ts). The numbers in the segment map correspond to the files with a similar name. Players like VLC or MPV will play those .m2ts files.

In your example, notice the first one has a duration of 34 seconds and a size of about 300 MB. The second one is 91 minutes and about 64 GB. The second one is probably the right one.
jayper

Post by jayper »

Seconding everything that dcoke22 called out. My workflow is to always just do a full decrypted backup, and then I'll process that with MakeMKV. This will allow me to do just what dcoke22 suggested if there's any question around which title to select.

Yeah, the titles shown in your second (most recent) set of screenshots do not match those shown in your first post. In the first post, both titles are 63.9 GB. I think you are showing the wrong title(s) in your second screenshot.
djgarygillespie

Ok thanks again dcoke22 & jayper!

I went back and did the decrypted backup, and there was only one movie, it was 00000.m2ts
I looked at the proper panes on both titles this time, I thought it was weird how the File names changed.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

djgarygillespie wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:23 am
Ok thanks again dcoke22 & jayper!

I went back and did the decrypted backup, and there was only one movie, it was 00000.m2ts
I looked at the proper panes on both titles this time, I thought it was weird how the File names changed.
I think the file name is what track MakeMKV sees it as and thus is not important. The "Source file name" is what you should look at. 00002.mpls is the playlist that would actually play the movie file 00000.m2ts. Generally, if ripping direct from disc to mkv file, the playlist is what you want to select so you can keep chapters etc..
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com