Star Wars 4Ks

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
gpejsa

Re: Star Wars 4Ks

Post by gpejsa »

I recently got a new UHD drive (thanks Billy!) and have had good success with about 20 UHDs and backing them up. I've had no success with the Star Wars 4K box set that came out earlier in 2020 (april I think). I just picked mine up from Best Buy about a week ago. I am able to read the 4K bluray of any of the 9 discs and then the saving to MKV file begins. It typically bombs out around 21-24 gigs. I am getting a data overrun error occurred at offset 3784704, 2623488, 3170304, and so on. I've used a new microfiber cloth to wipe each disc from the inner ring to the outer ring and have looked at each disc and they all appear to be w/o scratches or nicks. I took a look at my DNS settings and was able to add an OPEN DNS and that didn't seem to help either (after a router reboot and pc reboot). I'd appreciate any next step recommendations. I have the Buffalo drive setup that billy sells and it appears to work terrifically on all except this Star Wars box set. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/tips
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I like to use dish soap and warm water to clean discs. Others like to use isopropyl alcohol. Either method is effective at removing any oils on the discs. I'd give one of those cleaning methods a try. If that doesn't work, Best Buy will likely exchange the discs for a new set.
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

I bought the individual discs from BB and had to return 3 discs and one of those twice to get good discs. BB is good for returning them that's one reason I get mine there. Not sure how it works with a box set. I just got my LOTRs set and two towers will not rip.
I will probably try to rip all the discs and when I return it to BB open up the new box and just swap any bad discs.
gpejsa

Post by gpejsa »

Well, I tried the dish soap cleanse on my star wars 4k discs and that worked on one of them, but not the other 4 I tried. So, after having wasted too much time on this type of effort, I decided to return the disc set to B.Buy. They accepted it, but only for an exact exchange which I did. The real problem for this box set is the discs are so snugly tucked into the hard cardboard dividers, that heavy friction occurs when you pull the discs out (not to mention the fingerprints). As the B.buy clerk was curious why I returned them, I showed her the poor design feature. Regardless, I tried the soap/clean/microfiber cloth routines on a couple of the new discs with the same result. Therefore, I will resume backing up my other 4K discs (which, knock wood I haven't had issues with) and leave these on the 4K stand to watch "old style" on the sony 4k player.
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

Updated to 1.15.4 and reprocessed the mkv files from the same rip with protection and I finish without all the errors I had before. Planning on redoing the whole saga.

I was wrong even the new mkv file using the old rip has drop outs at the same locations. I'm ripping again with anydvd 8.5.1.0 to see if I still get drop outs at the same locations after makemkv.

Wrong again 1.15.4 has all the same sync issues I had before. It would appear that the specific errors just are no longer in the log.

One of the other movies I got recently got was 1917 and it plays without issue. SamuriHL suggest that it's the 3 layer discs.
KayakNate

Post by KayakNate »

ghost rider wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:17 pm
Updated to 1.15.4 and reprocessed the mkv files from the same rip with protection and I finish without all the errors I had before. Planning on redoing the whole saga.

I was wrong even the new mkv file using the old rip has drop outs at the same locations. I'm ripping again with anydvd 8.5.1.0 to see if I still get drop outs at the same locations after makemkv.

Wrong again 1.15.4 has all the same sync issues I had before. It would appear that the specific errors just are no longer in the log.

One of the other movies I got recently got was 1917 and it plays without issue. SamuriHL suggest that it's the 3 layer discs.
Can you list timestamps on which movies you're having issues? I'd like to compare with my rips.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Can you try ripping (or making a decrypted backup) with MakeMKV? I only have the prequels & The Rise of Skywalk on 4K, so if you have a timestamp from one of them, I'd be happy to compare to my rips.
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

I'm not really sure if this is what you guys are asking and there must be a better way to get the movie time than loading each movie in power dvd.
Phantom Menace 2:18:06
Attack of the Clones 2:13:58
Revenge of the Sith 2:20:08
Solo 2:13:57
Rogue one 2:13:58
New Hope 2:14:46
Empire strikes back 2:27:24
Return of the Jedi 2:14:48
Force awakens 2:07:24
Last Jedi 2:31:52
Rise of Skywalker 2:21:53

So far most have one or two what I'm calling audio drop out. I now believe its my AVR loosing it's lock on the Atmos audio and the split second silence is the AVR getting the sync back. The video always looks right.

Return of the jedi has been the worst. I made a MKV file with all the english audio tracks may try just a DD and see if I get the drop outs. Another thing I noticed all my other movies that worked fine I believe were HDR are the Star wars DV?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I think KayakNate is asking for the time stamp when an audio dropout reliably occurs. For example, if an audio dropout always occurs 43 minutes, 18 seconds into RotJ, that's what we're looking for.
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

Well I said I was new at this. I guess there not actual drop outs. I don't know what you call it but it's annoying.

edit***** Not sure why but I made a new MKV movie of RotJ with all the english audio and I only 2 short mutes from the audio sync. The good new is its only on the star wars movies. I watched LOTR two towers and it was perfect. So my guess is that it's something with the Disney movies and how those films are processed in makemkv and my Oppo ubd 203 being a little flaky with playing mkv files is loosing its digital lock for a split second at times. Before the specific audio sync errors in the 1.15.3 log and at the time I could RW and it would still be present. Now its more sporadic and when I RW its not there.
ChrisI

Post by ChrisI »

For New Hope, I am getting A/V Sync warnings at the following timestamps:

0:02:27
0:49:58
0:50:56
0:52:33
0:54:31

The title is divided into multiple segments, because the subtitles are part of the video. I haven't measured it exactly, but these seem to correspond to the segment boundaries.

Both the Blu-ray and the 4K have the same audio sync issues at the same timestamp. During playback (using VLC), I do not notice any audio dropouts.

Edit: I was running 1.15.3 when I made the notes above. After upgrading to 1.15.4, the 4K discs no longer report A/V Sync warnings, but the Blu-ray still do.
gpejsa

Post by gpejsa »

Just a short follow-up. Earlier in this thread I mentioned not having much success with Makemkv and the Star Wars 4K discs. I tried the tricks of washing to the discs with a small a mount of dish soap, buffing it with a microfiber cloth, and even exchanging the SW disc set. No joy in getting a good rip of any of the 9 movies. So, I gave up and worked on some other discs. Lo and behold, I went back to the set starting yesterday, used the same soft microfiber cloth and carefully cleaned each disc once again. Voila! I was able to back up all 9 with no issues. Perhaps my discs were still damp, still had some dust on them, or who knows what. Regardless, as many people in this thread and other 4K threads have said, you just need to keep plugging away and it will work like it has done for me!

:)
vila2k

Post by vila2k »

Just in case its relevant anyone on her I was having signifiant problems with almost 20 discs out of 30 UHD's that I owned including all of the Star Wars discs.

Discs had AV sync errors in the rip and would play back with visible jumps and macro-blocking in the picture.

I had a thread here https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=24219 as I thought it was related to the drive.

The AV sync errors I was getting on 'A New Hope' are almost identical to the time codes others have posted in the thread.

Im using the Mac version of OSX.

I deleted Makemkv v1.15.3 and installed v1.15.4 on my own Mac and was now able to rip 'A New hope' without error and have gone on to rip a further 8 discs that previously all had problems.

For me it seemed entirely fixed by updating to v1.15.4
MrEWhite

Post by MrEWhite »

gpejsa wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:51 pm
I recently got a new UHD drive (thanks Billy!) and have had good success with about 20 UHDs and backing them up. I've had no success with the Star Wars 4K box set that came out earlier in 2020 (april I think). I just picked mine up from Best Buy about a week ago. I am able to read the 4K bluray of any of the 9 discs and then the saving to MKV file begins. It typically bombs out around 21-24 gigs. I am getting a data overrun error occurred at offset 3784704, 2623488, 3170304, and so on. I've used a new microfiber cloth to wipe each disc from the inner ring to the outer ring and have looked at each disc and they all appear to be w/o scratches or nicks. I took a look at my DNS settings and was able to add an OPEN DNS and that didn't seem to help either (after a router reboot and pc reboot). I'd appreciate any next step recommendations. I have the Buffalo drive setup that billy sells and it appears to work terrifically on all except this Star Wars box set. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/tips
Exact same issue with my Asus BW-16D1HT. I found if you back the disc up, and then rip the MKV from the files, it rips successfully.
GregoryV

Post by GregoryV »

I have been having the same issues with my Skywalker Saga box set as well. Initially I was only able to get ROTJ to actually convert in MakeMkv. I tried all the wonderful suggestions here to no avail. I cleaned with every method suggested. I finally found a Best Buy that was willing to exchange my set figuring its been nearly a year since I bought it and any mastering issues i though were the cause would have been resolved.

I received my brand new complete set today and was right back to the same thing. Buff and try to rip with error messages, starting to encode with failures halfway through etc. I said F it and went and bought USED individual copies of ep4 and 5 just to try another set. With zero cleaning or buffing both ripped immediately and flawlessly. Both were done in less than an hour when the box set would take 2 hours then fail.
Upon this revelation and success I started a deep dive inspection of the discs. I found more than one that had the disc coating coming off to some degree. I found others that had adhesive residue around the edges causing them to be out of balance. All of this is from being shoved in those cardboard sleeves in that crappy box! I will never pre-order a box again unless I know the exact packaging. The fact that fingerprint laden USED 4k discs ripped so easily tells me that bad packaging can truly ruin 4k discs.
Needless to say I will be hitting up the used video store to snag the rest of the collection. I'm just upset its an expensive lesson to learn.