Star Wars 4Ks

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
dcoke22

Re: Star Wars 4Ks

Post by dcoke22 »

The lines about AV Sync errors aren't something to worry about unless you can hear some audio defect in the resulting file. It looks like your Return of the Jedi is fine.
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

dcoke22 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:18 am
The lines about AV Sync errors aren't something to worry about unless you can hear some audio defect in the resulting file. It looks like your Return of the Jedi is fine.
OK I'm keeping a list of the once with sync errors so far return of the jedi and attack of the clones have each had 7 errors. I will watch those and see if I have any issues. Would it be a lip sync thing?

Rise of skywalker failed completely. I will be returning it and any others that won't rip.

Edit Just tried it again and I get 12 read errors and it fails in seconds when I tried to rip it.

So the final tally is 4 with no errors 5 with sync errors ranging from 2 to 8 errors. One total failure and one on back order.
Attachments
RofS.png
RofS.png (224.75 KiB) Viewed 46724 times
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Some people report they can hear an audible pop. I haven't heard any such audio defect, but maybe my ears are too old. :)

Here's my understanding of what's happening when an AV sync message is displayed. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22903&p=94894#p94894

If you dig around on this forum, you can find further discussion on this topic, but little that is definitive.
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

Return of the Jedi had 7 sync errors and when I played it there were 3 audio gaps for like a 1/3 of a second then the audio went mute for a long time I stopped it. I will make notes of the time s of the errors.

A new hope just had one audio gap in the beginning but is playing fine after that.

So I can see I will need to return several 2 for sure. What is a good reason to return them especially if you are returning several?

Edit**** even a new hope has a bunch of audio drop outs. I never had this issue on any other disc.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Is it possible that the audio dropouts are induced by your player? Do the dropouts reliably occur every time?

My playback system occasionally has an audio dropout but it is always the fault of the player and not of the file. If, after a dropout, I backup 10 or 15 seconds and play again, the audio is fine.
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

dcoke22 wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:55 am
Is it possible that the audio dropouts are induced by your player? Do the dropouts reliably occur every time?

My playback system occasionally has an audio dropout but it is always the fault of the player and not of the file. If, after a dropout, I backup 10 or 15 seconds and play again, the audio is fine.
It's possible but no other movie backup BD or UHD do this. I think it's the sync errors that are pops for some processors on mine are gaps of silence. I will rewind the next drop out to see if it there.

I'm still concerned about having to exchanging several of these discs. I guess I could live with a few of these errors of silence, the disc is perfect. Is it possible that the mkv backup is the issue on some of these and a future update will correct the issue.

On a different note I'm completely happy with the quality of both the audio and video transfers. Even on my 1080 palsma set even my wife sees an improvement.

Nope the errors are in the backup.
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

Sorry for all the responses today but this is what I'm doing and when I have time to do it.

All of them have the gaps of silence. I'm going to replace 2 or 3 of them if I get the same issues what do I do?

Prior to this round of discs I was ripping the disc using anydvd then makemkv to make movie only files. I'm going to try that again and if it won't rip it goes back.

I don't know about anyone else but by the time I get these done if I even can it will be years before I feel like watching them again.

edit**** I returned 2 and return of the jedi still won't rip with anydvd. Guess I will return it again.
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

dcoke22 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:41 am
Some people report they can hear an audible pop. I haven't heard any such audio defect, but maybe my ears are too old. :)

Here's my understanding of what's happening when an AV sync message is displayed. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22903&p=94894#p94894

If you dig around on this forum, you can find further discussion on this topic, but litttle that is definitive.
Thanks for posting the link. That makes sense and I'm guessing is basically correct.

I'm pretty new using makemkv up to this point I either had no or very few of these sync errors and all but one of two ripped and play perfect.
These star wars discs have many more issues than the discs I used before. The hard part for me is to figure out which are bad before my return date deadline. I have been able to rip 9 of 10 with anydvd smoothly. I'll be returning return of the Jedi and hopefully it will rip. One is on bach order.
keithl

Post by keithl »

filmgeek47 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:36 pm
A.RABID.BUFFALO wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:23 pm
Last Jedi Freezes up at about 7gig mark. My guess bad disc no idea how to exchange.
Try cleaning the disc with some isopropyl alcohol or glasses cleaner and a microfiber cloth (wipe out from the center NOT in circles around the disc). Often discs with no visible scratches/marks have a chemical layer on them that can inhibit reliable reading.

If that fails, you can contact Disney support and they'll send you another disc (I had to do that with my stand-alone copy of last Jedi and they took care of me).
AMEN. I have had enough discs brand new that look great, but somehow need to be cleaned. This method works good. I have a microfiber cloth, dab some alcohol and clean perpendicular to the track (inside out). Ironically most discs I have issues with are either at the beginning or end of the move, can't think of anything that chock in middle. Right now I am trying attempt 3 on Empire Strikes back, tends to fail near the every end.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I have the prequels on UHD, having picked up The Phantom Menace & Attack of the Clones in the recent Best Buy sale. My WH16NS60 would not rip The Phantom Menace; I even cleaned the disc 3 times. I picked up BW-16D1HT and it ripped the disc easily. I watched The Phantom Menace last night and the picture & audio were fine.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

After extensive testing I figured out I have multiple things going on.
First off instead of processing off the disc in Makemkv I rip to ISO in anydvd, two return of the Jedi and one attack of the Clones had to be returned. So all 11 ripped without errors. I made mkv of each a few had no errors several had up to 9 audio sync errors. When I play them I get a audio drop out where the errors are but other drop outs happen at a random time and if I rewind it's not there but where the sync errors are they are always present.

So this leads me to believe may Oppo uhd 203 may have have a flutter when playing mkv files or at least these star wars discs.

Is there a way to turn off the audio sync error correction process. I would like to see if the same movie has smoother audio and if the sync does become a problem.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

ghost rider wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:12 pm
After extensive testing I figured out I have multiple things going on.
First off instead of processing off the disc in Makemkv I rip to ISO in anydvd, two return of the Jedi and one attack of the Clones had to be returned. So all 11 ripped without errors. I made mkv of each a few had no errors several had up to 9 audio sync errors. When I play them I get a audio drop out where the errors are but other drop outs happen at a random time and if I rewind it's not there but where the sync errors are they are always present.

So this leads me to believe may Oppo uhd 203 may have have a flutter when playing mkv files or at least these star wars discs.

Is there a way to turn off the audio sync error correction process. I would like to see if the same movie has smoother audio and if the sync does become a problem.
If you just play the iso off the oppo instead of mkv, do you get the same issues?
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

Can you do that? I rip with the protection. I'm convinced that the error correction in Makemkv cause most of the drop outs.

I'm curious if the sync errors that I'm getting does every copy have the same issue. For instance it took 3 copies of return of the Jedi to get anydvd to rip the complete movie and it had 8 specific audio sync errors. Does everyone get these errors or is it just pure luck. Do you have to keep returning discs till you get one that works?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

ghost rider wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:23 pm
Can you do that? I rip with the protection. I'm convinced that the error correction in Makemkv cause most of the drop outs.

I'm curious if the sync errors that I'm getting does every copy have the same issue. For instance it took 3 copies of return of the Jedi to get anydvd to rip the complete movie and it had 8 specific audio sync errors. Does everyone get these errors or is it just pure luck. Do you have to keep returning discs till you get one that works?
Pretty sure you can, but I think you'd need to rip without the protection. Somebody else with an oppo can better confirm
Wolf359

Post by Wolf359 »

I don't know about ISO's on the oppo but my 205 can read UHD files (rip of the folder structure) as if it were a disc. Plays with menus and everything. I decrypt the rip every time. So I don't know about encrypted files. Maybe give it a shot? It cannot do that with regular blu rays. This is off of a USB Hard drive. (WD Elements 8 TB) And I have the latest firmware. It doesn't seem to be able to read BDXL discs though. I am working on that.