Star Wars 4Ks

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
dancjodanc

Re: Star Wars 4Ks

Post by dancjodanc »

I've done back up's of all 11 films. So far, I've watched Episode I, II, III, IV, V and VI. Rogue One and Solo. I did have issues with Episode II, Rogue One, and IV. All of those cleared up when I made an MKV from the back up file. Now, that's my system. I have an LG drive here, and all of my viewing is done via Zappiti player. So far, I'm good. Much better than the initial rip and watch. Even some of the BDMV folders had problems before this latest update.
schorman

Post by schorman »

I posted in another thread regarding ATMOS audio that MakeMKV is not deleting overlapping audio frames correctly at the segment boundaries for any of the Star Wars films I've tried ripping from UHD.

I'm currently using Rogue One for testing. I've gone through and checked at each and every segment boundary, and have notice that Makemkv seems to alternate between not deleting the repeated audio frame at the first segment boundary, and then deleting both repeated frames at the next boundary. The overall file length is correct, and the sync is only off on alternating segments by one audio frame, but there are pops in the audio at every segment boundary, due to repeats or missing frames.

This issue is not limited to the TrueHD Atmos tracks either. It's occurring on the DD+ and standard Dolby Ac3 tracks as well.

Current workarounds for getting correct results:

1) Use Makemkv to rip the UHD folders.

2) Process correct playlist using Makemkv to extract video and subtitle streams to mkv.

3) For TrueHD Atmos, I've found that CloneBD correctly handles the repeated frames, however, you can't rip the interleaved ac3 track using it. So, process the correct playlist using CloneBD, saving to mkv with untouched audio track.

4) For the AC3 and EAC3 tracks, eac3to correctly handles the repeated frames, but only if you disable the second pass when processing. (I doesn't handle TrueHD tracks correctly though.)
ex.

<PATH>\eac3to "<PATH>\0800.mpls" 2: 0800_tr2.ac3 -core -keepdialnorm -no2ndpass

or

<PATH>\eac3to "<PATH>\0800.mpls" 3: 0800_tre.eac3 -no2ndpass

5) Mux Video and subtitles from step 2 with audio from steps 3 and 4 with MkvToolNix

Edit:

I'm having the same issues with ac3 with the Blu Ray versions of the Star Wars discs as well. DTSHD seems to work perfectly though.
dancjodanc

Post by dancjodanc »

Do ANY of the lastest 4K releases have Dolby Vision? I think The Last Jedi does....but only if you buy is alone. The Skywalker Box set I thought would contain DV, but everything I read says on HDR. How can you know?
tuffy

Post by tuffy »

dancjodanc wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 9:39 pm
Do ANY of the lastest 4K releases have Dolby Vision? I think The Last Jedi does....but only if you buy is alone. The Skywalker Box set I thought would contain DV, but everything I read says on HDR. How can you know?
Using this page as a reference, The Last Jedi single is the only Star Wars 4K release with Dolby Vision. Not sure if there's any better way to know.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

tuffy wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:50 pm
dancjodanc wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 9:39 pm
Using this page as a reference, The Last Jedi single is the only Star Wars 4K release with Dolby Vision. Not sure if there's any better way to know.
Only if you buy the old version of the last jedi. The new rereleased version, along with all the other episodes, is HDR10 only.
zeerow2k

Post by zeerow2k »

schorman wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:37 pm
I posted in another thread regarding ATMOS audio that MakeMKV is not deleting overlapping audio frames correctly at the segment boundaries for any of the Star Wars films I've tried ripping from UHD.

I'm currently using Rogue One for testing. I've gone through and checked at each and every segment boundary, and have notice that Makemkv seems to alternate between not deleting the repeated audio frame at the first segment boundary, and then deleting both repeated frames at the next boundary. The overall file length is correct, and the sync is only off on alternating segments by one audio frame, but there are pops in the audio at every segment boundary, due to repeats or missing frames.

This issue is not limited to the TrueHD Atmos tracks either. It's occurring on the DD+ and standard Dolby Ac3 tracks as well.

Current workarounds for getting correct results:

1) Use Makemkv to rip the UHD folders.

2) Process correct playlist using Makemkv to extract video and subtitle streams to mkv.

3) For TrueHD Atmos, I've found that CloneBD correctly handles the repeated frames, however, you can't rip the interleaved ac3 track using it. So, process the correct playlist using CloneBD, saving to mkv with untouched audio track.

4) For the AC3 and EAC3 tracks, eac3to correctly handles the repeated frames, but only if you disable the second pass when processing. (I doesn't handle TrueHD tracks correctly though.)
ex.

<PATH>\eac3to "<PATH>\0800.mpls" 2: 0800_tr2.ac3 -core -keepdialnorm -no2ndpass

or

<PATH>\eac3to "<PATH>\0800.mpls" 3: 0800_tre.eac3 -no2ndpass

5) Mux Video and subtitles from step 2 with audio from steps 3 and 4 with MkvToolNix

Edit:

I'm having the same issues with ac3 with the Blu Ray versions of the Star Wars discs as well. DTSHD seems to work perfectly though.
I'm curious, what is the benefit to using MakeMKV vs CloneBD for step 2? Could you not just use CloneBD for both steps?

Edit: Assuming you don't care about Dolby Vision.
schorman

Post by schorman »

No reason other than that I paid for Makemkv, so I feel like I should use it. :wink:
zeerow2k

Post by zeerow2k »

schorman wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:20 pm
No reason other than that I paid for Makemkv, so I feel like I should use it. :wink:
As good a reason as any!
BenDa

Post by BenDa »

Has anyone tried taking the lossless Atmos streams from their 4K star wars mkv rips & muxing them into their 1080P BD star wars mkv rips?

I have a 1080P (8-bit colour) projector with a 5.2.2 Dolby Atmos speaker configuration in my home theatre.
I would very much like to be able to watch stars with wars with 1080P & the full lossless Atmos mix.

I have tried using MKVToolNix GUI, which worked for The Force Awakens.
The audio and video seem to get out of sync when remuxing with the Atmos stream for Attack of the Clones.
philb1701

Post by philb1701 »

I purchased all 11 Star Wars 4K UHD movies (the 9 traditional ones and the two Star Wars stories) as separate items from Amazon. Most of them were in a 3 movies for price of 2 deal. Got all of them for about 20% less then that monstrosity of a box set. So far, all have ripped fine except The Last Jedi. I think it might be a defective disc, since it stalls out after creating a file about 6GB in size using two different UHD-compatible drives. Replacement disc arrives on Friday.
philb1701

Post by philb1701 »

By the way...if you notice the opening of the movies is in a foreign language (a long time ago...), I figured out that each of movies has multiple listing for the film on the 4K disc. The only difference being the opening script language. The dialogue is English in each case unless you turn it off before ripping. The English version of the script has been the last one listed in every case. Just a friendly hint.
philb1701

Post by philb1701 »

filmgeek47 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:36 pm
A.RABID.BUFFALO wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:23 pm
Last Jedi Freezes up at about 7gig mark. My guess bad disc no idea how to exchange.
Try cleaning the disc with some isopropyl alcohol or glasses cleaner and a microfiber cloth (wipe out from the center NOT in circles around the disc). Often discs with no visible scratches/marks have a chemical layer on them that can inhibit reliable reading.

If that fails, you can contact Disney support and they'll send you another disc (I had to do that with my stand-alone copy of last Jedi and they took care of me).
I'm having the same problem with my copy of The Last Jedi. Replacement from Amazon arriving today. Will see if that helps. If not, will seek out a different vendor (likely a bad lot at that point).

6/22 UPDATE...Replacement from Amazon actually got further but had a rubbing "scratch" which ultimately caused it to fail. Obtained a third copy from BestBuy which worked perfectly. Go Figure.
Last edited by philb1701 on Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
philb1701

Post by philb1701 »

fusa42 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:37 am
I have successfully ripped Star Wars IV A New Hope. Although the opening scene with the scrolling into is in Spanish even though I am selecting English as audio and subtitles. Is there anyway to fix this?
All of the Star Wars 4K discs I've ripped have the English script as the last one. Usually the 4K discs have had anywhere from 4-6 separate listings for the movie. The only difference is the language for the opening script (a long time ago....)
Simbo

Post by Simbo »

Hi All,

I’m in the UK and purchased the Amazon exclusive Skywalker Saga 4K collection.

I’m in the process of ripping it but am having a few problems locating the correct subtitle track for the alien dialogue in some of the films.

For example when I watch the Attack of the Clones disc on my blu ray player there is some forced subtitles at around the 5.12 mark. I had read that the UHD discs contain hard coded subs so I didn’t rip any of the sub tracks. However when rewatching my MKV file the subs at 5.12 don’t appear. I then ripped it again with ALL sub tracks included so I could find the right one but it still isn’t on there. I’m completely confused.

Does anyone have any experience with this box set?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

On the DVD and BD versions of the SW disks, the track you seek varies with the title. I used to have a list from when I ripped them, but I lent it to someone else... and it never came back.

My solution has been to rip ALL audio/subtitle tracks, then view the resulting MKV file later with VLC. I can then determine which tracks I want to keep, and what order to put them in, using handbrake. But, mkvmerge can also be used for re-arranging things, if you do not want to re-encode the video.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging