Star Wars 4Ks

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
macdev

Re: Star Wars 4Ks

Post by macdev »

I have an Asus BW-16D1HT with 3.10, and I too am having issues with the Skywalker Saga. Bought the last one at my local BB months ago, but didn't rip them until now. It took three attempts to get AotC to rip without errors, and I tried at least a dozen attempts to rip TPM with no luck. Hard SCSI errors. Tried everything. I'm not sure what my options are since I bought it a while back.

The disc works fine in my PS5 and my XB. It's got to be something that the drive doesn't like about the disc. I'm at a loss as to what to do. Any ideas?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

macdev wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:28 am
I have an Asus BW-16D1HT with 3.10, and I too am having issues with the Skywalker Saga. Bought the last one at my local BB months ago, but didn't rip them until now. It took three attempts to get AotC to rip without errors, and I tried at least a dozen attempts to rip TPM with no luck. Hard SCSI errors. Tried everything. I'm not sure what my options are since I bought it a while back.

The disc works fine in my PS5 and my XB. It's got to be something that the drive doesn't like about the disc. I'm at a loss as to what to do. Any ideas?
clean the disc
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Sierra419

Post by Sierra419 »

I just bought the Skywalker Saga 4k and Rogue One 4k and I'm having the same issue as everyone else but almost 2 years later. None of the movies except A New Hope will rip for me. Not a single one after multiple tries. I even try to do the workaround where you make an encrypted backup and rip the movie from that. Still doesnt work. Did we ever figure out what the workaround was for this? After 300 BD rips and 60 4k rips - these are the only movies to ever give me a hard time and no matter what I do they don't work. Cleaned them, washed them, compressed air cleaned the drive - nothing. It's not the drive because my other 4ks still rip just fine. Only these Star Wars movies.
Swaps

Post by Swaps »

Sierra419 wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:54 am
I just bought the Skywalker Saga 4k and Rogue One 4k and I'm having the same issue as everyone else but almost 2 years later. None of the movies except A New Hope will rip for me. Not a single one after multiple tries. I even try to do the workaround where you make an encrypted backup and rip the movie from that. Still doesnt work. Did we ever figure out what the workaround was for this? After 300 BD rips and 60 4k rips - these are the only movies to ever give me a hard time and no matter what I do they don't work. Cleaned them, washed them, compressed air cleaned the drive - nothing. It's not the drive because my other 4ks still rip just fine. Only these Star Wars movies.
I've had a lot of issues with Disney discs before. Unfortunately, you may have to do an exchange. You are not getting key errors correct? Just issues with disc?
bpratt

Post by bpratt »

Just got my Pioneer drive today, and the first one I got to rip is my Rise of Skywalker, and it comes up with

The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc

I couldn't see an answer on the first page of this thread, so I'm wondering if there's a fix for this.

Mine is the 3 disc package, 2 blu ray and 2 UHD.

I can do the play HD version okay with makemkv though.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

bpratt wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:45 am
Just got my Pioneer drive today, and the first one I got to rip is my Rise of Skywalker, and it comes up with

Failed to open disc

I couldn't see an answer on the first page of this thread, so I'm wondering if there's a fix for this.

The usual can you download keys question?

Make sure you don't have Russia blocked in your firewall
Make sure checking webserver for updates is enabled.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
tresnugget

Post by tresnugget »

bpratt wrote:

Failed to open disc

I've had issues with my Pioneer not decrypting on random 4k discs. I don't know if there are different keys for Pioneer drives or what? My Pioneer drive won't decrypt but I put the disc in my LG drive connected to the same PC and it decrypts no problem. I submit the dump then within a few hours it generally works if I decide to wait instead of just using the LG drive, although sometimes my LG drive won't rip without errors whereas my Pioneer always works once it can decrypt as long as the disc isn't defective.

Edit: that said, I just put my own copy of Rise of Skywalker in from the Skywalker Saga collection and it did decrypt on my own Pioneer drive.
bpratt

Post by bpratt »

Billycar11 wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:53 pm
bpratt wrote:

Failed to open disc
The usual can you download keys question?

Make sure you don't have Russia blocked in your firewall
Make sure checking webserver for updates is enabled.
Sorry, I need to read up more on this, I'm only new at doing this.

"download keys" ?
"Downloading latest HK to C:\Users\Brendan/.MakeMKV ..."
Is this what you mean ?

I don't have Russia in my firewall.

I'm on the 30 day trial, and can't see an updates, although in preferences it has under Online Updates, enable internet access ticked.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

bpratt wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:15 am
Sorry, I need to read up more on this, I'm only new at doing this.

"download keys" ?
"Downloading latest HK to C:\Users\Brendan/.MakeMKV ..."
Is this what you mean ?

I don't have Russia in my firewall.

I'm on the 30 day trial, and can't see an updates, although in preferences it has under Online Updates, enable internet access ticked.
Yes, that's what is meant.

In order to rip a 4K UHD disc, MakeMKV needs to have the decryption key for it. The author of MakeMKV provides these keys for MakeMKV users. When you try to rip a UHD, MakeMKV attempts to decrypt it using its local cache of keys. If it doesn't have the key, it tries to download all the latest keys from the internet.

When new UHDs are released, there's almost always delay between when the disc becomes available and when the decryption key becomes available. Users of MakeMKV submit a 'dump' to MakeMKV's author when a new disc is released so a key can be made available.
bpratt

Post by bpratt »

thanks, so there should be a response of that request being 'okayed' after it, as I didn't see anything after that line I quoted.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

bpratt wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:06 am
thanks, so there should be a response of that request being 'okayed' after it, as I didn't see anything after that line I quoted.
No. If it needs to download keys, you'll get the downloading message. If that fails, you'll get a failure message. If it works, then no 'ok' message; it just works.
Antlavwig

Post by Antlavwig »

Has anyone came across the UHD of Star Wars Return of the Jedi Ultimate Collectors Edition? Its about 50gb rip and has four tracks with way different segment orders. It has the normal 800, 801, 802, 803 maps though most of them share very little with the segment maps and has 4 choices. UPC is 8693686945.
lfoust

Post by lfoust »

Antlavwig wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:55 am
Has anyone came across the UHD of Star Wars Return of the Jedi Ultimate Collectors Edition? Its about 50gb rip and has four tracks with way different segment orders. It has the normal 800, 801, 802, 803 maps though most of them share very little with the segment maps and has 4 choices. UPC is 8693686945.
For most (if not all) Disney releases, 800 will be the English playlist. Here is how Return of the Jedi mapped out for me: https://thediscdb.com/movie/star-wars-e ... es/2020-4k
peter0302

Post by peter0302 »

I'm in the same boat as many with the Skywalker Saga 4K discs. Not a single one will rip. They all just spin and make that horrible grinding sound when MakeMKV tries to load one.

I saw someone earlier say this is most likely due to the packaging and how the discs are stuffed into those cardboard sleeves and undoubtedly being bent. And yet they play fine in commercial players.

Has anyone found any reliable solution here? It's much too late for me to return these.