Star Wars 4Ks

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
ghost rider

Re: Star Wars 4Ks

Post by ghost rider »

Has 1.16.4 made any improvements? It would seem like only the Star wars movies have these playback errors. You can only watch a movie so many times before you have to give up and so I did. This week for the first time in about 8 months I watched Rouge 1 and got about 40 minutes in and started getting the audio mutes and eventually the sound was completely gone for a period of time by switch my AVP out and back in to the UHD input restores the sound, for a time. I got out the disc and it plays without a problem.

So I'm curious if this version will produce a MKV movie file that can be played, or is it just a waste of time?

edit**** Nope the same results with 1.16.4
CZ Eddie

Post by CZ Eddie »

Does anyone know if Return of the Jedia t00 or t01 is the the 00800 title?
I ripped both before I learned the 00800 trick. Wondering which one I should delete.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Watch the start of the movie. The 00800 file will have the opening crawl in English. The other will be either French or Spanish.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
CZ Eddie

Post by CZ Eddie »

Woodstock wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:12 pm
Watch the start of the movie. The 00800 file will have the opening crawl in English. The other will be either French or Spanish.
That's it? Great, thank you!

edit: crap, neither one was english.
Wolf359

Post by Wolf359 »

CZ Eddie wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:23 pm
I ripped both before I learned the 00800 trick. Wondering which one I should delete.
Where can one find the 00800 trick info? I googled but got other stuff.

edit: I found some info by searching this site. I guess it's a disney playlist thing?
CZ Eddie

Post by CZ Eddie »

Wolf359 wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:48 pm
CZ Eddie wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:23 pm
Where can one find the 00800 trick info? I googled but got other stuff.

edit: I found some info by searching this site. I guess it's a disney playlist thing?
Yep, apparently Disney almost always uses 00800 as the primary track/title description.
You see that number in MakeMKV on the right side when you click on a particular track.

While other languages will be 00801 or 00802, etc.
Wolf359

Post by Wolf359 »

Cool. Thanks. :D
by96$

Post by by96$ »

Wow. I have ripped many movies over the past year, and except for Tenet, never had problems until today when I got the Skywalker Saga set. I finally got TPM to rip. It failed several times but I wiped it with just a cloth and finally got it to work. I am on to AOC. First time had trouble, but I don't think it was the disc. I am now on the second try.

I bought the set off eBay. It was brand new and sealed, so I can't return it if I have trouble with discs. I read on here that Disney will send replacement discs? Does that require proof of purchase from an authorized seller? Worst case scenario, I guess I can buy used copies on eBay and hope they work better. I may end up regretting the money I saved by buying on eBay.

Update #1 - AOC finally ripped on the third try... after wiping it down with window cleaner. I am thinking the earlier comments about some chemical left over from the factory on the discs is right on. Wonder why this is happening with the box set but not any of the many individual movies I have ripped.

Update #2 - ROTS is kicking my butt. Three failures so far. May post the error messages tomorrow. Or might skip this and try another one.
by96$

Post by by96$ »

As an update, for anyone out there, I have never gotten ROTS to work, but got ANH, TESB, ROTJ, and TFW to all rip, though they all took at least two tries. I still have the last two to go, and then to go back to ROTS. May end up buying a single copy of that one to complete the set.
by96$

Post by by96$ »

Maybe I am just venting to myself at this point, but I am now ripping The Last Jedi. Not one disc has worked on the first try thus far, and Revenge of the Sith never has worked.

Yet, before I started The Last Jedi, I paused to rip Black Widow which just came today (in a great steelbook), and guess what, it worked the first time. And not only that, but I ripped it directly with MakeMKV within JRiver, something that has never worked with the Skywalker Saga.

What is it about these sets that make them so damn hard to rip? Now I know why I have never tried to rip GOT.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

It has been my experience that some discs just don't seem to like some readers. I have a two UHD capable optical drives and access to a third. Occasionally I'll get a disc that won't rip on my main drive. Most of the time (not always of course), when I put the disc in the other drive, it rips just fine.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In my case, I have a LG and an ASUS, but I don't think it matters about my particular drives, just that they're different, and running different firmware.
by96$

Post by by96$ »

Thanks for the input. I finally got all 9 ripped. It was a long process but is done.

I have an internal LG drive now but may need to look into buying an external one of a different brand to increase my chances.

Thanks again!
dxrmkvun

Post by dxrmkvun »

I had the same problem, but found a way around it for the discs without hard read errors (i.e., uncorrectable errors). Takes some extra time and effort, but it was simple and effective. I know my UHD drive and USB cable are good because I encountered this problem only with the Star Wars 4K discs. None of my other 4K discs had any issues.

First, I cleaned the discs with wet alcohol microfiber wipes designed for cleaning eyeglasses. They also have a small amount of detergent, but that may not be needed. This step removed fingerprints and debris deposited on the discs from the cardboard case. Just be sure to wipe from center to edge and not in a circle. Then give it a little time to completely dry before putting the disc in the optical drive.

Second, I used MakeMKV to make a backup of the disc on my HDD. I used the "no decryption" option to minimize the amount of processing and interaction with the disc in the optical drive. This allows MakeMKV to stream the data at full speed off the disc. This step worked on all the discs which had problems when I tried to create MKV files directly from them (except the one disc which actual hard read errors). Another benefit of this step is that you can use the MakeMKV output log to back up your return of any such discs to prove that they are actually defective - the log lists the total number of read errors and their locations.

Finally, I used MakeMKV to convert the backup on my HDD to a decrypted MKV file, which was always successful when reading off the HDD.

Hopefully this process will work for others who encounter this problem with the Star Wars 4K discs (or any discs, for that matter).
RippidyDooDa

Post by RippidyDooDa »

I've recently successfully ripped all of the movies except The Last Jedi. I can't get that one to work for the life of me. I've tried two copies from Amazon and just now tried a copy from Wal-Mart. All three fail, yet all of the other movies ripped just fine and I have no problem ripping any other movies. I'm currently trying the backup method mentioned, but I think I've tried that before and I get a read error. Seems bizarre that three different discs, using two different vendors, would all be bad. If this last try doesn't work I'll be returning all of them and trying something else. So odd.
dooferorg

Post by dooferorg »

I happened by this thread while extracting the discs of 'The Skywalker Saga' and I did find that the Star Wars 4K discs seem particular finnicky to extract. Adding my 2 cents on my experience in case it helps anyone else.

Sometimes I extract discs direct to a network drive (10G fiber connection) since I transcode them on my fileserver with HandBrake, but it didn't work well doing that this time.

Possibly some of the errors too were because I had smudged them from trying to get the discs out of the awkward 'pages' of the cardboard 'book'. Pretty to look at but not a very easy way to access the discs. Isopropyl alcohol and gentle cleaning with a lint free cloth worked fine.

With cleaning them and doing a backup to my local SSD it seemed to work well for all of them. For reference I am using an LG WH16NS60, modified with the appropriate firmware of course.

The main feature playlist and the resulting title number (for HandBrake) is here, at least on the Best Buy US box set version I have (UPC 786936870282). Haven't done the bonus discs yet. Transcoding with H265 will take a while yet. Phantom Menace seems to have completed properly and seems correct at a glance.

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace - 1999
00800.MPLS / title 51

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones - 2002
00800.MPLS / title 51

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith - 2005
00800.MPLS / title 51

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope - 1977
00800.MPLS / title 52

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back - 1980
00800.MPLS / title 51

Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi - 1983
00800.MPLS / title 51