Knives Out UHD

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
midnighwatcher

Re: Knives Out UHD

Post by midnighwatcher »

Anyone know how to correctly rip the Canadian UHD release? I have the latest version of Java installed and don't see a large list to choose from, but I have the "main feature" supposedly identified, which isn't correct since it starts half way through the movie and is only a 77 minutes long.
Khaaan

Post by Khaaan »

Hi All,

New to makeMKV and this whole process. I just got an LG BD-RE WH16NS60 from a member on this forum, and so far have been able to make about 5-6 mkv files from my UHD collection

I am running into an issue though with Knives Out UHD. It seems from this thread and searching on the internet Lionsgate discs are normally not fun.

The error I am getting when trying to make an MKV of Source file name: 00945.mpls is = Encountered 2 errors of type 'HashCheck Error'

Now is this something I can myself can remedy? Is this UHD just not possible to make into an MKV? Is my drive okay? The explanation of the website is saying that this happens when they don't match, but I am unsure how to fix/remedy this issue.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Khaaan wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:10 am
The error I am getting when trying to make an MKV of Source file name: 00945.mpls is = Encountered 2 errors of type 'HashCheck Error'

Now is this something I can myself can remedy? Is this UHD just not possible to make into an MKV? Is my drive okay? The explanation of the website is saying that this happens when they don't match, but I am unsure how to fix/remedy this issue.
The rip errors post.

Try gently cleaning the disc. The data density of UHDs is relatively high which makes them especially susceptible to dirt, film and oils on the disc. Even 'brand new' discs out of the package can be troublesome sometimes as the off gassing from the plastics in the case can sometimes deposit a film on the disc.

Lots of folks end up with a second drive that's different than their first drive. It is not uncommon for a disc that's troublesome in one drive to work without error in a second drive.

If all that fails, you can usually exchange discs with most retailers within 2 weeks to 30 days.
Khaaan

Post by Khaaan »

dcoke22 wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:03 pm
Khaaan wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:10 am

The rip errors post.

Try gently cleaning the disc. The data density of UHDs is relatively high which makes them especially susceptible to dirt, film and oils on the disc. Even 'brand new' discs out of the package can be troublesome sometimes as the off gassing from the plastics in the case can sometimes deposit a film on the disc.

Lots of folks end up with a second drive that's different than their first drive. It is not uncommon for a disc that's troublesome in one drive to work without error in a second drive.

If all that fails, you can usually exchange discs with most retailers within 2 weeks to 30 days.
Thanks for that thread. Will take a look at that thread!

Okay so you think it mostly likely something with the disc. I played it once in my Oppo and no issues, but I know that isn't a great indicator.

Do you recommend mond a good 2nd drive unit to compliment my main drive I am using?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Khaaan wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:49 pm
Okay so you think it mostly likely something with the disc. I played it once in my Oppo and no issues, but I know that isn't a great indicator.

Do you recommend mond a good 2nd drive unit to compliment my main drive I am using?
Generally speaking, disc players are optimized to ignore data that can't be read from the disc. Lots of tiny glitches are almost imperceptible for most people. MakeMKV's goal is to make a perfect 1:1 copy of what's on the disc. As such, it checks its work along the way with the hashcheck tables that are also on the disc. If it finds an error that it can't recover from the rip fails.

It has been my experience that on the occasions when a disc won't rip in my 'main' drive and I try it on my 'other' drive, it often works. Not always, but often. When neither of my drives can read it, I clean the disc (sometimes more than once) and it often works. Very rarely, I end up with a disc that just won't work no matter what I try. In those cases, I try to get my retailer to give me an exchange.

I happen to have a LG and an ASUS drive, but there's nothing special about my drives. Generally, any drive on the recommended drives list is fine, but I do recommend you get something different than what you already have. There are some on this forum that feel strongly that the LG BU40N is the 'best' drive, but I don't have one and don't have any experience with it.

If you have a lot of discs to rip, a second drive can be an easy way to use money as a way to reduce frustration. As a side benefit, MakeMKV has a way it can use more than one optical drive at a time, so you can rip two or more discs at once.
lfoust

Post by lfoust »

The US 4K Disc was layed out like this for me: https://thediscdb.com/movie/knives-out- ... es/2020-4k
rbmcgee

Post by rbmcgee »

Has anyone successfully ripped the redbox version Knives Out and, if so, which title is the movie?
pkasting

Post by pkasting »

Is there any fix for the screenpass issue? Ripped my copy to play on my Oppo UDP-203 and just get a black screen when starting.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

pkasting wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:00 am
Is there any fix for the screenpass issue? Ripped my copy to play on my Oppo UDP-203 and just get a black screen when starting.
Are you familiar with this topic?

What is the correct play list [insert title here]?
pkasting

Post by pkasting »

d00zah wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:00 pm
pkasting wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:00 am
Are you familiar with this topic?

What is the correct play list [insert title here]?
Yes; but I make full-disc backups rather than just ripping a single title.

However, in this case, AnyDVD HD + CloneBD was able to deal with screenpass. Just makes me a little sad because the workflow through MakeMKV is easier.