The Martian - 4k rip fails

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Tom899

The Martian - 4k rip fails

Post by Tom899 »

I just bought The Martian 4K. I get about 3/4 way through ripping it and it fails.
I'm getting a replacement today to try, although it's coming from the same place, Amazon.
I'm using an Asus BW-16D1HT with MK 3.10 firmware. MakeMKV v1.14.7 {win(x64-release)}. All this is less than a month old, ripped about 6 discs so far.
Anyone else having Martian 4k ripping problems? Hopefully it's the disc.
Woodstock

Re: The Martian - 4k rip fails

Post by Woodstock »

Martian 4K shouldn't have any issues with ripping; I've ripped it myself. Of course, the disk has to be clean with no flaws, and it does take a while to rip, at least on my Asus with original firmware.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Tom899

Post by Tom899 »

My replacement disc came today and it ripped fine. So, the first one was bad, although looking at it, it looked perfect.
philb1701

Post by philb1701 »

What are you using to convert the .mkv file once you get it?
I was able to rip my 4K Martian with no problem, but didn't get any forced burn subtitles.
I am using Mac X Video Pro Converter to move from the mkv to an mp4 file.
Some 4K movies convert OK, some don't. I don't think makeMKV is the issue, since I have all subtitles
turned on.
Tom899

Post by Tom899 »

philb1701 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:49 am
What are you using to convert the .mkv file once you get it?
I was able to rip my 4K Martian with no problem, but didn't get any forced burn subtitles.
I am using Mac X Video Pro Converter to move from the mkv to an mp4 file.
Some 4K movies convert OK, some don't. I don't think makeMKV is the issue, since I have all subtitles
turned on.
It turned out to be a bad disc. I just leave it as .mkv
philb1701

Post by philb1701 »

Tom:

What do you use to view the mkv file?
I'm on a Mac so it won't directly help me but I'm curious at this point.

Thanks.
Tom899

Post by Tom899 »

philb1701 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:35 am
Tom:

What do you use to view the mkv file?
I'm on a Mac so it won't directly help me but I'm curious at this point.

Thanks.
The MKV file is stored on my unRaid server.
For a player I use a Zidoo Z9S (this player seems to play anything I throw at it)
Fed through a Denon X4400H
Then to a JVC RS1000 4K projector (Looks just like viewing the disc, including HDR)

I have viewed it on my PC using CyberLink PowerDVD 19, and it works fine except my PC screen is not HDR compatible so I don't use this method other than for verifying the file after a rip.
AngryVirginian

Post by AngryVirginian »

I just tried ripping The Martian 4K disc with 1.15.2. The theatrical cut has no issue but the extended cut has serious audio lag and dropped frames. Any hint?
vseven

Post by vseven »

Tom899 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:57 pm
My replacement disc came today and it ripped fine. So, the first one was bad, although looking at it, it looked perfect.
The first disk I got from Amazon had read errors within the first 10%. Tried two different known good readers. So I sent it back. The second disk I got wouldn't even get to the contents also with tons of read errors. I'm blaming it on the fact they put the disk on top of the BluRay copy on the same spindle and it's rubbing. Sent the second one back and got a used copy on Reddit.

philb1701 wrote:
Read about that issues and apparently none of the subtitle tracks are marked as forced. From what I can tell the 4th english subtitle track (ID 8) is the correct one for the dialog with the Chinese agency discussing the booster rocket. I tried using MKVToolNix to edit the header info to change it from Force No -> Yes but I couldn't get it to change. I could remux the entire thing but it drops in file size and I don't know why so I don't trust it. I wish I could just flip the flag on in the original file.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

vseven wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:39 am
philb1701 wrote:
Read about that issues and apparently none of the subtitle tracks are marked as forced. From what I can tell the 4th english subtitle track (ID 8) is the correct one for the dialog with the Chinese agency discussing the booster rocket. I tried using MKVToolNix to edit the header info to change it from Force No -> Yes but I couldn't get it to change. I could remux the entire thing but it drops in file size and I don't know why so I don't trust it. I wish I could just flip the flag on in the original file.
mkvpropedit is your friend here. There are GUIs for it, but I use the command line version.

Code: Select all

mkvpropedit ./Movie.mkv --edit track:s4 --set flag-default=1 --set flag-forced=1
Something like the above will mark the 4th subtitle track in ./Movie.mkv as default and forced.
vseven

Post by vseven »

dcoke22 wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:04 pm
mkvpropedit is your friend here. There are GUIs for it, but I use the command line version.

Code: Select all

mkvpropedit ./Movie.mkv --edit track:s4 --set flag-default=1 --set flag-forced=1
Something like the above will mark the 4th subtitle track in ./Movie.mkv as default and forced.
Thanks for this. Ended up using a different tool that wasn't as easy but did work. But this just came up again with one of the new Star Trek 4k discs I ripped.

It's unfortunate since whenever I rip a BR I run it through Handbrake and it auto does this but I leave all my 4k's uncompressed so I have this issue from time to time. I'm not sure what handbrake sees and sets that MakeMKV doesn't seem to.